Twitter Co-Founder: 'I use full sentences. I don't abbreviate. I don't use emoticons.'

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter and author of Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of a Creative Mind, discusses his new book, which details how his creativity helped him develop such popular Internet mainstays as blogging, podcasting and Twitter.

Biz Stone

jgarbuz from Queens

Amazon is not always the least expensive place to get stuff, but it is so incredibly convenient because it was set up with a lot of forethought. For me personally, I check the ratings to see what those who have bought the product have to say about it, especially the lowest ratings. This system pioneered by Bezos, to have people publicly rate and discuss their experiences with their products. I don't need to deal with surly underpaid help in brick and mortar stores any more. I was in retail myself in our mom n' pop store in a market street, so I know what retailers have to endure. ANd I was in one of the worst, crime-ridden neighborhoods in Brooklyn in the '60s. Riots and all. So I really know about retailing. It's tough. But for many Amazon is simply a godsend, especially as a get older and less prone to want to go waste time in stores and get nonsense from minimum wage sales personnel who want to get through the day with minimal contact helping customers anyway. For their minimal wages, why should they?

Apr. 08 2014 11:38 AM
Amazon Hiring Intel

amazon is an amazing company to shop from! The hiring policy though is very walmart -- for creative/content positions anyway.

Currently are trying to hire people in nyc at a 20-30% discount -- they have a juicy ONE TIME SIGNING bonus that must be paid back if you quit after less than a certain amount of time (2 years for example.)

The people who end up willing to work for amazon, in my observation, are just out of college, so folks with any experience will be frustrated if they are not up for being the only adult in the room….

PERFECT CAREER for teacher types seeking to help out Billionaire Bezos sell crap from China, and DON"T NEED MONEY.

Apr. 08 2014 11:32 AM
Amazonia from nyc

"Amazon is an amazing co"
There is nothing amazing about putting your competitors out of business by taking advantage of the fact you have a giant warehouse in the middle of freaking NOWHERE and don't have to pay the same taxes, salaries and deal with the BS brick and mortar retail store owners deal with.
Amazon is awful!
It's cheap cheap for a reason!

Apr. 08 2014 11:19 AM
Sabena

Please say you will not let Facebook buy you out.

Apr. 08 2014 11:18 AM

Geee, "Twitter"…sounds SO cute!!

Don't be fooled by this eavesdropping, data-collecting, NSA-colluding, Big Brother® behemoth!!

Apr. 08 2014 11:16 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I think that instead of bringing us all together, the latest technologies, particularly virtual reality and personal robots, will cause more individual autonomy and isolationism. There will be far less need for people to have anything to do with each other except when there is no alternative. I don't think social media has increased empathy at all. If anything, it has tended to either increase dissension or to produce mindless mobs. It is more of a place to get attacked than to get support, though there are notable exceptions.

Apr. 08 2014 11:16 AM
RJ from prospect hts

Twitter is a change, perhaps in some cases, an alternative to many sometimes underground communications mechanisms--samizdat, zines, beat poetry. The primary difference is that it has come into being in an electronic age and so its bells and whistles and more well known.

Apr. 08 2014 11:16 AM
Joe E from Brooiklyn

What is Stone's take on the tech backlash that's going on in San Francisco? Specifically, some organization's move to protest individuals like Kevin Rose and other high-profile entrepreneurs. Is there any merit to these organizations' argument that tech companies contribute to "destroying" local culture and are bad for surrounding communities? Is there a more practical way top appease these peoples' concerns, other than giving them the 3 billion dollars they demand?

Apr. 08 2014 11:14 AM
Dave from Brooklyn, NY

Bloomberg published an article yesterday about the effects of income inequality on those working in Silicon Valley, more specifically the service workers who provide food for the tech workers. A good deal of these workers are finding it harder and harder to pay for basic necessities, especially rent, due to stagnant wage growth. What does Biz Stone have to say about this issue?

Apr. 08 2014 11:13 AM
Rooert from NYC

what each other means

Apr. 08 2014 11:11 AM
Babe from uptown

When we institute a micro-payment system for internet contributions such as suggested by Jaron Lanier in his book Who Owns The Future?, I'll be super-active online. Until then my motto is: DEFY Corporate Domination!

Apr. 08 2014 11:09 AM

I'm not seeing a lot of 'empathy expansion' from all the new forms of electronic interconnection. If anything, I think all of our devices are increasing barriers rather than making new connections. It cannot be denied there folks can make a b*ttload of new connections - I don't actually KNOW Dame Evelyn Glennie but we have interacted over the 'net but is that empathy. Did I really meet her. Nope.

New technology enables new types of relationships but I wish there were a way to better choose what parts of the old ways need to be cleared away to make space for the new. The opportunity costs for implementing new seem to random.

Apr. 08 2014 11:02 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

Brian - in relation to Stone's book, can you ask him to talk about how he heard the "little bird" in his own life, and how he now thinks we can all carve out the time/privacy to hear our own inner, creative voices in a world in which we are deluged with constant interruptions?

As a creative person, I find social media INCREDIBLY invasive and corrosive, in terms of being able to hear my own thoughts and develop my own creative ideas.

Apr. 08 2014 11:00 AM
Liz from NYC

The LAST thing I want to do is put unpaid information (especially about myself) online for corporations to exploit. Fk that!

Apr. 08 2014 10:57 AM

(corrected) "The Internet" -- 2, 10 years from now? Where to start -- by listening/empathizing w users (qualitative analysis) -- or predicting, based on past behaviors (quantitative analysis)?

Apr. 08 2014 09:25 AM