Context and a Movie: American Hustle

Monday, February 03, 2014

Kevin Riordan, Philadelphia Inquirer columnist, talks about the real story of Camden Mayor Errichetti, who is the basis for one of the characters in the movie, American Hustle. Plus, Dana Stevens, Slate's film critic and co-host of Slate's Culture Gabfest, now airing on WNYC, offers a critic's take on the film.

Kevin Riordan and Dana Stevens

Diana

Brian -
I am very disappointed in the way you ended this segment. I'm a daily listener who enjoys your program and appreciates your professionalism. However, the turn you took by asking your guests about "bridgegate" as a potential movie, deviates from your usual professionalism and I think reflects a bias on your part. Are you equating Christie's behavior to this character's (the mayor)? Do you have facts or source information that supports this?

Please reflect to see if you are coming to the table (or the microphone) with your biases in check. Or is it a case of another reporter just jumping on the bandwagon to take a swing at a politician?

Maybe the WNYC reporters can start digging into other politicians for some fresh news - there is plenty of it out there. Stop swinging at the low lying fruit.

Feb. 03 2014 12:11 PM
Jack Spann

Your guests and I must have seen a different American Hustle. All I saw was self-indulgent improvisation, over the top performances, and Christian Bale doing his best (but not good enough) imitation of Robert DeNiro, who is this only actor that saves this mess of an over hyped movie.

Feb. 03 2014 11:56 AM
Sue from NY

As I said before, were heroin legally available (such as through a Dr's prescription) so purity and dosage was controlled, Philip Seymour Hoffman would be alive today. (And violent drug gangs and al Queda deprived of huge amounts of funding.)

Feb. 03 2014 11:53 AM
andy from manhattan

*Synecdoche, New York* is my favorite, Phillip Seymour Hoffman film. It is less-known than it should be, perhaps, but is one of the most amazing films I am aware of. Charlie Kaufman and PSH became a force of nature working together on this film.

Feb. 03 2014 11:52 AM
Bob from Westchester, NY

One thing I didn't understand -- why was the Mayor of Camden fighting so hard to bring casino jobs to a different city? Why wasn't he pushing for the casinos to be built in Camden, to bring the jobs there?

Feb. 03 2014 11:51 AM
Seth

You can't start an ice fishing story and carry it throughout the movie, and then not finish it. Please get the last scenes of that storyline off the cutting room floor.

And, if you're going to have a woman in a neck brace at the end of the movie, please let us know how/why that happened.

Writers just should not direct/edit their own movies.

Feb. 03 2014 11:48 AM
Rick Brooklyn from Brooklyn

I heard that ABSCAM was effectively Jimmy Carter getting the FBI to take down Ted Kennedy's buddies.
Can Mr. Riordan comment on that?

Feb. 03 2014 10:21 AM