Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and You

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

network cable, cat5e (Sascha/flickr)

David Carr, media columnist and culture reporter for the New York Times, discusses Comcast's acquisition of Time Warner Cable and what it means for regular t.v. watchers, for cord cutters, and for the industry.

David Carr

F. Keith Trantow from Tucson, Arizona

Comes now this late comment re: Tom Rodeheaver from hagaman ny, posted 18 Feb. 10:10 AM. Not only is the United States Third World in Internet, cable, service and cost, but also -- in a completely different realm -- we definitely are Third World in long-distance rail transportation. Cable service is the only business of which I am aware wherein customers must buy everything in the store, not just those few items they need and want.

Feb. 19 2014 11:42 AM
Henry from Katonah

Comcast's CEO ? Is he like Kabletown's Hank Hooper on 30 Rock ? Or Hank's successor - - Jack Donaghy ?

Feb. 18 2014 02:57 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

I heard that Verizon wants to discourage people moving to FIOS (fiber). Is that true?

Maybe wireless will replace FIOS?

Feb. 18 2014 10:56 AM

FYI, FYR re: Schumer

Feb. 18 2014 10:53 AM

Another option is to buy an indoor digital antenna. One example: AmazonBasics Ultra Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna
ink: http://amzn.com/B00DIFIM36. $24 - $62.
I live in the back of my apt building on the sixth floor. So far I'm happy with the reception i'm getting -- there is occasional visual noise onscreen, but that can happen with regular cable too. And I'm pulling in at least 40 channels of various languages. But not NY1.

Feb. 18 2014 10:39 AM
BrettG from WS

It's time for the FCC to get back to regulating & the place to start is to make all internet services - dialup, DSL, FIOS/coax via all devices cable, telecom, satellite a national utility as it is in other countries, EU, e.g..

The longer we fail to have affordable broadband available to all users & especially public schools, public libraries & finally as a utility @ reasonable, not premium cost to all homes the longer we will be a 2nd class nation net-wise.

The FCC should immediately declare all internet "pipes"(ISP service w/o content) as a public utility!

Write the FCC & write your Senators & Congresspeople & let them know now & often that current telecom regulation IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Writer Sen. Schumer & let him know that since his brother is an attorney (Paul, Weiss, Rifkind) on the deal his comments on the deal are less than credible.

Feb. 18 2014 10:34 AM

I predict that internet access will become like medical insurance -- we'll be forced to get internet access via our employers who will be forced to subsidize the costs of connecting their employees.

Feb. 18 2014 10:29 AM
jm

Many of my friends have cut the cord. My digital reception isn't perfect, but between that, Netflix streaming, and other resources I can see everything I need. With my Chromecast, I can watch a lot of the content on my TV.

Don't forget, BBC makes a lot of their content available on YouTube. And this is a fun site: http://documentaryaddict.com/

Feb. 18 2014 10:28 AM
JR from NYC

I hate the TWC monopoly, how is it that the government would allow it to get any bigger and worse for the consumer??!
I'm a cord cutter and we need more options like Aereo. Give us what we want NOT what the cable company wants us to want.

Feb. 18 2014 10:26 AM
jm

Aereo is fantastic!

To the caller: Time Warner encrypted their signal last year since the FCC removed "must carry" rules. They cited innovation (as demonstrated with such services like Aereo) as a reason to remove the regulations. Time Warner wanted to simply encrypt on all tiers without picking and choosing broadcast stations.

Feb. 18 2014 10:23 AM
Robert from NYC

This is the stupidest segment I've ever experienced on this show. Who is this nut and what is he talking about. Elephants who promise to be good and Comcast promises to observer "the rules". What crap!! We all know ALL OF US KNOWS that folks (read corporations) don't regulate themselves and as far as Comcast "making a deal" with the FCC is all bulloney. And does this guy know what he's even talking about? He's patting Comcast on the back?! We get screwed here in the ol'US of A as far as cable and internet service goes. It's more tons of dough in the pockets of the big guys at the corporations. Europeans pay far less for far faster services <period>. You're geting ripped off America and you're allowing yourself to be so!

Feb. 18 2014 10:21 AM
Matt from Manhattan

Time Warner recently started scrambling the basic channels that are broadcast over the air.
How is that legal????!!!!!

Feb. 18 2014 10:18 AM
Sarah from Ridgewood, Queens

I wonder how this is going to affect the 18-34 clientele? If a majority of that age in NYC is struggling with jobs. I'm not sure we are going to latch on as loyal customers. Which I think is a serious issue. A majority of us freelance work online.

Feb. 18 2014 10:17 AM
John A

Tom Rodeheaver - not depressed, oppressed.

Feb. 18 2014 10:17 AM
jm

I've had the same "broadband" service via Verizon DSL for the past 10 years. I live in Brooklyn, yet my choice is either this or giving Time Warner my money.

DSL is delivered by the phone land lines, and these were built with US tax dollars. At the very least, DSL should be considered "common carrier" based on the physical infrastructure.

Broadband service in the US is such a joke. We need a NYC municipal fiber optic network, and that way smaller companies would be able to compete. The low cost due to competition would be more beneficial to everyone even with a tax increase for the infrastructure.

Feb. 18 2014 10:15 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

Meanwhile, we are selling/shrinking libraries and getting rid of their books! Underfunding them too!

And, a sentence in last week's NY Times- “If you own a Nook, the fate of your books may now be up in the air.”

Information is disappearing at the same time the more limited information available is becoming more controlled and ephemeral.

Sign Citizens Defending Libraries petition to save NYC libraries from sell-off and shrinkage.

Feb. 18 2014 10:14 AM
Tom Rodeheaver from hagaman ny

I'm depressed when I see what internet and cable service is like in other countries. We've basically become 3rd world as far as service and cost are concerned.

Feb. 18 2014 10:10 AM
twbnyc from nyc

I've been a cord-cutter since 2009 -- lucky to have rabbit ears work brilliantly for me in manhattan for basic networks. Use Apple TV, Hulu & Netflix.

When I see the Time Warner user interface, it it so difficult to use, even though I get tech stuff. It's ugly. It's $1200+ a year for crap.

I think the main reason cable is in houses still is because of sports-watchers. The only way cable companies are going to listen to its customers if everyone all at once -- pick a month -- and drop them. HIt them where it counts. A national cable drop month. It worked with Netflix when they proposed price increase.

Feb. 18 2014 10:09 AM
Melanie from NYC

There is widespread price fixing across phone, tv, and Internet. Everyone in the U.S. pays $150 minimum for the service, regardless of the company or companies they spread these services across to purchase. There is something inherently wrong here. I agree it should be regulated like utilities.

Feb. 18 2014 10:08 AM
John A

Over the air HDTV (free) is pretty wonderful, and I live ~45 miles out. Wonderful while it lasts?

Feb. 18 2014 10:07 AM
hicoachrich from murray hill

how can the public demand that internet connection be deemed a public utility and regulated as one, like electricity etc.?

Feb. 18 2014 10:06 AM
Jim

Congress needs to get back into the business of breaking up monopolies. American telecommunications are lagging the rest of the developed world and far more expensive.

Feb. 18 2014 10:05 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Comcast saw that the balance of power was shifting towards content providers, so they bought content rich NBC.

It's the very same reason they want to acquire Time Warner Cable, so they can reign in the growing popularity of broadband dependent content providers like Amazon, HULU, and Netflix and their cord cutting audiences in a post "net neutrality" world.

Their argument that consumers shouldn't worry because TWC and Comcast don't compete in the same markets is disingenuous.

Cable is the biggest consumer rip-off in the US, and Comcast wants to keep it that way, even if it means keeping us in the 20th century forever.

Feb. 18 2014 09:48 AM