Clock Your Sleep: Seniors

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Senior lady portrait What is a human lifespan? (Levente Gyori/Shutterstock)

Dr. Shelby Harris, director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program at Montefiore Medical Center talks to you about aging and sleep--whether seniors need less sleep and how sleep plays a role in other health issues as we age.

Shelby Harris

the comment on facebook about sitting down to urinate is OK if they do not have problems with constipation that is also waking them up.
Many meds cause constipation and the person can easily fall asleep on the toilet waiting to evacuate, but fall asleep on the toilet and onto their heads, neck, and shoulder. It has happened to me way to many times. I am now looking at a 3 level c spine discectomy surgery in the next month. Not all my falls were due to the toilet at night,many were also due to no proprioception in my leg, and also partial paralysis.
however at least 20 falls from the toilet have occurred

Apr. 30 2014 11:26 AM
Joseph farris from Bethel,CT

re sleep problems. I'm about to turn 90 and occasionally have a bout of insomnia. I've discovered that by getting up and doing 30 minutes of treadmill or ski-track -then going back to bed I usually fall asleep. It sounds counter -intuitive but it works for me.

Apr. 30 2014 11:22 AM
Zzzzzzz

How important is it to get a new (better) mattress and new pillows?

Apr. 30 2014 11:21 AM
genejoke from Brooklyn

Why do I keep expecting this segment to turn into an infomercial for some nocturnia medication?

Apr. 30 2014 11:21 AM
steveh from B'klyn

My best solution has been the combination of Exercise, a Vitamin D supplement, and
full spectrum light makeup a great cocktail and results in the best sleep I have ever had in my life.

No exposure to full spectrum light within an hour of bedtime.

Upon wakeup in middle of night always use very dim night lights, soft almost barely audible music.

Interruptions or shifts to day or night shift or time zone do not matter if this pattern is kept.

Apr. 30 2014 11:20 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

One the callers, a 64 year old man, said that he had to got up a number of times at night to urinate. He may have an enlarged prostate. Needs to have it check out.

Apr. 30 2014 11:19 AM
Jen from Q

Brian, please ask the Dr. what kind of treatments can help women in menopause who are troubled by hot flashes in the night.

Apr. 30 2014 11:16 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Enjoying listening to AARP Radio here. Because nothing is more interesting than a discussion of geriatrics having to get up to urinate in the middle of the night!

Apr. 30 2014 11:14 AM
Cando from NYC

I'm 62 and I sleep more now than I did in my 30s and 40s. I've been using one of the sleep apps on my iPhone and going to sleep really early - by 9:30 and getting up between 5:00 and 5:15 am to go running. I feel fantastic! I'm running faster and stronger than ever (about 40-45 miles/week) and feeling much better. Never before have I been so regular about my sleep schedule and it really seems to make a difference.

Apr. 30 2014 11:13 AM

Your sleep app seems to be unadaptable to my situation.

For just one example, on last night's sleep:

Went to sleep at 12am
Woke at 6, got up, worked and had breakfast.
Back right back to sleep at 8 am.
Woke for day at 10am.

This exact pattern is not typical, but there are other odd sleep patterns I can't fit into WNYC's app.

Apr. 30 2014 11:12 AM
oscar from ny

Space and time can be relative, just like a fly sees things slower because of its size when your young you have more time and sleep is longer ..as you mature this time gets shorter and so everything speeds up

Apr. 30 2014 11:11 AM
Beth

Starting in my late teens, and continuing now into my 60s, I wake in the middle of the night, typically after 4-5 hours of sleep, and mull over whatever problem was occupying me in the evening. (In college and grad school, it was organic chemistry or biochemistry. Now, it's how best to structure a complex Excel table--use Pivot table, vlookup, etc.) I may lie awake over an hour working on the problem before I can go back to sleep, but usually, in the morning the solution is there. This is great, but I'd like the uninterrupted sleep, which I do get if there's no active problem when I go to bed.

Apr. 30 2014 10:21 AM