Christie Aid Linked to GWB Lane Closures

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

A top Christie aide is linked to the lane closures that caused major traffic jams on the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, N.J. New Jersey Public Radio's Matt Katz explains what happened and the implications for Chris Christie's political future.

Check out the emails that exposed the link and more here.

Matt Katz
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Nick from East Windsor NJ

It's a shame but I don't think this will bite him. It isn't bad enough. I hate saying it, but it is true. He will dance around it as much as he can and then he will get nominated and his antics will out due this confusing episode.

Try to see it from his supporter's eyes. They probably love this. It is the kind of people they are.

Jan. 08 2014 04:35 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

Hmmmm...Christie has been taped saying "I've talked to my senior staff and ask anyone with knowledge of the events to come forward." So either the Governor has heard from Bridget Anne (and he has hidden the fact) or she didn't tell him squat and is, therefore, is insubordinate.

Either way, BAK has now got to go...There is no winning on this one for Chris. Just ways to stop the bleeding.

Jan. 08 2014 12:13 PM
Bitchin' Camaro from Down the Shore, NJ

These parasites should both be canned and charged.

I can't believe this fatso is considered presidential stock?!! He couldn't run a hot dog cart in Seaside Heights.

Jan. 08 2014 11:54 AM
Cynthia Herzegovitch from East Harlem - work

This did not ONLY effect Fort Lee although that was bad enough - The Harlem River Drive, FDR, Degan (87), Cross Bronx, Bronx River Pkwy, the Bruckner & 95 all came to a screeching halt or crawl. Also all the local routes on our side of the river by the bridge were a mess. I work on 102nd and 1st, usually a 1/2 drive in normal drive time traffic, which became a 3-4 hr horror story. I wonder how those delays effected NYC first responders!! Peoples live were placed in jeopardy!! And correct me if I am wrong but don't you usually support your fellow party member all things being equal. Let us not also forger all the bus routes that got screwed up as well. How we didn't have anything really tragic happen I will never know.

Jan. 08 2014 11:01 AM
Seth

Once again, it's not the crime it's the cover up. Christie has covered up way toooo much. It needs to come back and bite him, and it should. Anyone who thinks this lane closure did not come from the top is fooling themselves.

Jan. 08 2014 10:57 AM
David H.

It is interesting that Wildstein and Kelly apparently used their personal email accounts rather than their official ones

Jan. 08 2014 10:44 AM