Episode #55

Chris Rock and Herb Alpert

« previous episode | next episode »

Monday, November 25, 2013

(Chris Rock by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images; Herb Alpert by Art Streiber)

Alec goes backstage with comic actor Chris Rock after a matinee of The Motherf**ker With The Hat to hear what it was like for Rock to be in his first play.  Alec also talks with Herb Alpert, legendary trumpeter and music producer. In 1966, Alpert’s band The Tijuana Brass sold over 13 million records, outselling The Beatles.

Jennifer from Toronto

Loved both of these interviews. I have a 75 minute commute to work each day and thanks to a friend I discovered these podcasts. I grew up hearing Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Even though my parents didn't have a huge record collection they had his albums. Loved the way this piece was edited to include samples of his great music.
The Chris Rock interview was also fantastic - love that Alec seems to get his interview subjects to reveal their vulnerabilities.

Jan. 28 2014 03:56 PM
Mapco Records from Flagstaff,AZ

It was an absolute thrill in meeting Herb,and his lovely wife Lani @ "Grammy" a few years back. What an awesome show,and hearing interviews between the music sets were indeed some amazing history herb & Lani shared with the audience. I credit Herb for giving me the inspiration to start my label,and his music is as timeless as he is.~Michael

Dec. 01 2013 10:49 AM

Love his show, hope WNYC did not cancel it. Why do they need to mix personal and professional life? like all the audience are Saints!

Dec. 01 2013 02:31 AM
Helen

WHAT? WNYC Has cancelled Alec Baldwin!!!!!

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND????

Nov. 30 2013 07:00 PM
Anne from San Francisco

Best interviewer ever. Move over Terry and Charlie. There's a new sheriff in town. I don't listen to my SF station any longer as they don't air this show now. KQED SUCKS! WNYC you get my ear and my money.

Nov. 30 2013 05:10 PM
brian from Boston

Wow, great program. Articulate, informative, entertaining and amusing conversations. Really enjoy how Alec makes
his guests feel comfortable enough to let their thoughts and stories soar. Keep it going .

Nov. 29 2013 02:01 PM
Bonnie from Boone, NC

Really love Alecs interview style... gets to the grit.

Nov. 28 2013 03:01 AM
Sarah from Montana

I'm sorry to hear that Alec's show was cancelled on MSNBC, but selfishly I hope this means he will be able to do more interviews for Here's the Thing. I love this show and find his mix of guests and topics interesting, stimulating and fun! Please stay on the radio Alec!

Nov. 26 2013 06:30 PM
Louis from bridgeville, pa

Love the pod cast! All the best to Alec and his family.

Nov. 26 2013 03:17 PM