Chris Hayes on Living Dangerously, and Politics

Monday, April 28, 2014

Chris Hayes of MSNBC (Amy Pearl for WNYC)

Chris Hayes, MSNBC host, talks about the Showtime docu-series "Years of Living Dangerously", which chronicles the real-life effects of climate change. In the first episode, Hayes talks to Republican Congressman Michael Grimm, who describes his change of heart on climate science. Note: This morning, Grimm turned himself in to the FBI on charges related to a Staten Island restaurant business. We'll discuss the Grimm news with Hayes, as well as other political news of the day.

Watch the Full Premiere Episode of "Years of Living Dangerously"

Chris Hayes

Quoting Ann Coulter?? Talk about a meaningful political commentator.

Apr. 29 2014 08:27 AM
M.J. Morrison from New York City

This comment will probably be either removed or simply ignored.
Years ago, before climate change was a popular topic, I predicted that it would be, for commercial purposes (See geotechnologies.us). That prediction came true on steroids. No discussion about climate change ever mentions the intense weather modification being done the world over with its very dramatic, tragic and predictable results. The people doing this know exactly what they’re doing and what the consequences are, they just don't care. It's all about that almighty dollar. I own the only geologic modification technology on earth. Services include weather modification but my methods have no side effects. I couldn't figure out why no one was interested in my proven, guaranteed, safe and accurate services. Then, I read "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein. She explains how (much) money is made from disaster events. Conventional weather modification causes different disaster effects so it is done regularly to cause them. Every clear day, planes drawing lines across the sky can be seen in New York City. The average person has no idea they’re doing. One to two days after you see them, there will always be rain or snow (unless this is inconvenient for me). When I called the state EPA to ask who commissioned the planes, some guy with laughter in his voice told me they were commuter planes. I said I wasn’t stupid and that I knew that wasn’t true. He insisted. After that, the planes stopped. They started again at night a while. Then they went back to daytime as usual. When I used to watch them from my roof, those strange black helicopters started hovering overhead watching me.
I’ve lost count of the hurricanes I have turned away from New York all by myself. Archives of TV news reports will confirm this. I've never been paid, so I can't hire a team to help me. If you have any questions about what happened with say, hurricane Sandy, that's why. That was not one weather event, but three and I did work on it. It was forecast to be stronger but wasn’t. I am one person. With no pay, I don't even have the equipment to work on three weather events at once. I’ve also lost count of the number of politicians I've tried to bring this to. Every single one ignored me. More than one person laughed as I described disasters with a great loss of life (not politicians though). One was from a reinsurance company. I do the work for New York, because I live here but that’s about to change. I won't be paid and my health is so bad now I’ll have to leave or die in the inevitable disaster with everyone else. You can’t prepare for an 8 hr tornado but city government wants you to think you can. It reminds me of the Jews in Germany who packed THEIR "go bags" thinking they were being moved to another city when they were really going to concentration camps. This is going to be SO bad, worse than anyone can imagine. I guess that's why people ignore me. They just don't want to think about it; like I do every day...

Apr. 28 2014 05:23 PM
oscar from ny

Everyone talks about the system and how its not doing anything about this so called climate change but America has been talking about and most of us are aware of the problem believe it or not America had become very responsible on this matter..now there is a problem in the world and I have been revealed little by little and most of the world should be aware that it is not us who are the bad guys but there are about a billion and more of these walking dead that go about their business without hesitation or take notes on anything..I have noticed that Chinese are consequently blinded by Satan and Satan is having a field on these ppl time and again I see that these ppl do not react to reason or logic but work autonomously, its like they are like robots they don't care about nothing as long as they march to their destination these have or pay no matter to the living world...so the world specially America needs to help these communist and trained them in humanities because these are the same who's percentage of factories are humongous in the world and they pollute without not a single care in the world...the problem has to be faced and fast

Apr. 28 2014 10:32 AM
John from Sandyland

So disappointed Brian that you just did what most climate change deniers do, you just characterized renewable energy sources as not being able to "pick up the slack"(I think those were the words you used). Educated people need to stop repeating these falsehoods.

Stanford U just did a study saying we can meet all of our energy needs NOW with EXISTING technology in wind and solar. http://singularityhub.com/2014/03/08/100-renewable-energy-is-feasible-and-affordable-stanford-proposal-says/

Let get behind the effort to make this happen, not tear down renewables as not having what it takes. They do have what it takes.

Apr. 28 2014 10:32 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Seems that trillions dollar figure was just the "valuation" of the enslaved people themselves, and not the overall wealth they produced. This productivity was appropriated for centuries, way before the enslavers'. Restitution, etc. has never manifested.

Apr. 28 2014 10:30 AM
John A

Whatever it takes to teach the people, bubblegum TV included.

Apr. 28 2014 10:27 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Yes people vote their pocketbooks. There is that old Jack Benny scene where he is held up by a mugger who demands "Your money or your life" and Jack just lingers on thinking about it. The fact is, that as long as solar and wind are more than twice as expensive as oil and coal most people will prefer to "vote" to continue to use those noxious toxins instead of more expensive "Green" energy sources. It will require the government to use FORCE, like they did by taxing cigarettes and tobacco practically out of existence and only government force through carbon taxation can force people to pay up front solar and wind power installation costs.

Apr. 28 2014 10:27 AM
Plug from MSNBC

so glad a caller reminded all of us that the "news" we get from these big network players [cnn, msnbc, abc, nbc, cbs, fox] is corporate driven. What corporation allow their "journalists" to report on.

It's all about ratings, we must not forget that MSNBC like all the others survives on advertising and corporate sponsorship. Even PBS isn't immune from these giant corporations, but they're more objective.
Media is becoming scary.

Apr. 28 2014 10:23 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Please remind listeners that degrees in Celsius are almost twice as big as degrees in Fahrenheit. (Even in Brian's audience, I wouldn't assume everyone knows this.)

And mazel tov to Mr. Hayes on the new baby!

Apr. 28 2014 10:23 AM
Amy from Manhattan

What's the title of the book Mr. Hayes mentioned in his answer on (some) corporations' change of attitude on global climate disruption?

And thanks to the caller for asking the question!

Apr. 28 2014 10:21 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Chris is saying that people will vote their pockets, FOR the party that has prevented policies the vast majority of economists say will grow the economy and decrease inequality? Why don't Chris and Brian address this contradiction? Seems empty reasoning is just as operative here as empty pockets. (And the two are no doubt related.)

Apr. 28 2014 10:19 AM
snarkmonger from Westchester

I am all for reducing the size of government and would be happy to start with Grimm.

Apr. 28 2014 10:13 AM
Plug from MSNBC

Loving the plug WNYC is giving MSNBC.
This entire segment signals the death of objective news and the cowing of (supposed) independent media to corporate driven "news." Lest we forget Comcast bought NBC Universal from General Electric and now Comcast is in the throws of purchasing Time Warner Cable - creating a virtual monopoly in cable providers.
Thanks WNYC of contributing to the dwindling of independent non-corporate Real News.
Please mention NBC and MSNBC over and over maybe they'll invite Brian to appear before the cameras and make him into a local celebrity on corporate "news" media.

Apr. 28 2014 10:11 AM

Remember, listeners, this is the same Chris Hayes who pandered to his MSNBC bosses by famously proclaiming that he felt "uncomfortable" calling soldiers killed in action "heroes".

Gee, I feel uncomfortable calling him a ‘journalist” or a “political commentator”....... smug, safe, self-righteous little twerp in a studio, maybe?

Or as Ann Coulter tweeted of Hayes at the time: "'Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Military 'Heroes' – Marines respond by protecting his right to menstruate." – NEW YORK MAGAZINE

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/28/chris-hayes-uncomfortable-soldiers-heroes_n_1550643.html)
(http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/05/chris-hayes-uncomfortable-with-word-hero.html)

Apr. 28 2014 08:14 AM