Six Songs for Our Long-Awaited Spring

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

These crocuses bathing in rays of sun make us yearn for Spring. (Shutterstock)

It feels like winter is never going to end, but we can’t stop fantasizing about this spring actually becoming spring. So we asked some of our hosts to introduce us to their favorite luminous springtime songs to set the mood, whether or not the weather cooperates.

Tags:

More in:

Mike C from Flushing

Season Cycle by XTC.

Apr. 30 2014 12:17 PM
Holliday from Purchase

I'm with Dan about "Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most" -- Betty Carter's version is another fine interpretation and my mom used to love to play June Christie's recording when I was little. But I also love the 2nd movement of Mahler's 1st Symphony -- The Titan -- for all things Spring and renewal and green. Can't help but smile when I hear it.

Apr. 29 2014 05:28 PM
Justin C from Brooklyn

Time seems to slow down when spring finally hits. That's why Roy Ayers's "Everybody Loves the Sunshine" always reminds me of spring. Those opening synth notes are perfectly scored to the first rays of daylight. "Just bees and things and flowers": That about sums it up ;)

Apr. 29 2014 11:43 AM
Bob from Huntington

I'm still partial to the great and wacky Professor Tom Lehrer's tribute to Spring in "Poisining Pigeons in the Park".

Apr. 29 2014 10:17 AM
Dan Parietti from Manhattan

Well Leonard, here's another jazz song of Spring for you. Carmen McRae singing "Spring Can Hang You up the Most" (Not sure of the composer.)

Apr. 29 2014 08:47 AM
Pete from Allamuchy, NJ

I've always been partial to a song by Lou Carter "The Singing Cab Driver" who appeared on the Perry Como Show. The song is titled " I've got a Rose Between My Toes From Running Barefoot Through The Hothouse To You - Baby". You can find it on the web.

Apr. 29 2014 08:28 AM
Amy L from Bayonne, NJ

My song is without a doubt John Fogerty's "Centerfield". It brings back memories of neighborhood stickball games, pre-season high school softball practices, and these days, checking the local minor league team rosters. It is an anthem to the hope that fills every new spring. It's my windows-open, sing-out-loud welcome back to the sun and fresh air

Apr. 29 2014 08:25 AM