Cecile Richards Remembers Her Mother, Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cecile Richards talks about her mother, Ann Richards, and the new HBO film “All About Ann: Governor Richards of the Lone Star State.” The documentary chronicles Richards’ life—from growing up poor in rural Texas to her life as a sociable suburban housewife and mother of four to entering politics and becoming one of the most charismatic American political figures of the last 30 years. Richards was the first woman to be elected to that office in the state of Texas.

Cecile Richards described how her mother’s keynote speech at the 1988 Democratic National Convention changed her career: “We’d always known she was funny and she was in politics, but to have that opportunity to, sort of, as she would say, show what a woman can do when she’s given the chance – that’s really what the Democratic Convention did.”

From the very beginning of her public life, Ann Richards was open about her addiction. Her daughter explained, it was “not only because she wanted people to know who she was, but because she actually thought it might encourage other folks who were dealing with addiction to get treatment. And they did. I still, today, travel around the country and run into people who say, I got sober because of your mom.”

As governor, Richards appointed more women, openly gay people, and people of color than all of her predecessors combined. “She was all about not only about opening the door for herself, but holding it open and bringing everybody along with her that she could. And that to me is – that’s her legacy.”

“I think that everything she did was a little bit larger than life.”

“All About Ann” debuts on HBO April 28 at 9.  It will also premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 18.

Cecile Richards

At first I thought this film must have been directed by her daughter, like the Ferraro film. It is customary to mention the name of the director, even if it is a man or two, when talking about a film. If it was directed by a woman I'm sure you would have mentioned her, right? Do what's right, not what's PC. Apparently Anne did.

Jul. 17 2014 10:55 AM
Kristen from TX

Ann rocked. I saw her in person at the Texas state fair on TX/OU game day in the early 90's. She had a leg in a cast and was surrounded by secret service but was riding the bumper cars. She was a real person who had no issue mingling with her constituents. Loved her.

Apr. 20 2014 04:09 PM
Eric

She wasn't the first elected female governor of Texas. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_A._Ferguson

Apr. 20 2014 02:51 PM
MaryAnna from Houston, TX

I met Gov. Richards when I was in high school. I gave her a bag of Doritos. She was the kindest, funniest, most genuine person - what you see is what you get. She humored me - and my giggly friends - as we asked her tons of questions about her life and political legacy. She somehow made us feel like the stars in her midst.

Apr. 20 2014 02:35 PM
aj from houston

to the person who pointed out that Richards was not the first woman governor in TX you are correct but although officially she was the second woman governor in Texas, Richards is considered the first woman ELECTED governor of Texas in her own right, since twice-elected Miriam "Ma" Ferguson is often discounted as having been a proxy for impeached governor James E. Ferguson, her husband. So---many still feel that Richards was the first woman governor of TX instead of the 2nd.

Apr. 18 2014 03:39 PM
Kyle Marie Stock

Richards was not the first woman elected governor of Texas. That honor goes to Miriam Ferguson who was elected twice, once in 1924 and again in 1932.

Apr. 18 2014 11:59 AM
gina ballinger from graz austria

refreshing! to hear Anna Sale interviewing! i am very spoiled by The LL Show professionality! hope to hear more from Anna Sale and Thank You!

Apr. 18 2014 03:35 AM
Pam Sanders

I pointed out Ann Richards to my daughter as Ann crossed the parking lot of Whole Foods in Austin years ago. I told my daughter, " That's Ann Richards, the last real governor of Texas. Remember that you saw her." I still feel that way, and my daughter still remembers--she sent me the notice about the film.

Apr. 17 2014 02:56 PM
George from Bay Ridge

What does your guest think about Wendy Davis?

Why has Texas changed from Democratic to Republican? Could this trend reverse in the future?

Apr. 17 2014 10:49 AM