Vibraphonist Cecilia Smith is a leading proponent of the four-mallet technique. She has performed at nightclubs, concert halls and festivals all over the world and collaborated with greats such as Mulgrew Miller, Cecil Bridgewater and Randy Weston.
On this episode of Piano Jazz from 2000, she and host Marian McPartland combine talents in a rendition of "Old Devil Moon." Smith solos on a piece dedicated to her mother, "Mourning Before Grace."
Originally broadcast in the winter of 2000.
- "Old Devil Moon" (Harburg, Lane)
- "Tenderly" (Gross, Lawrence)
- "Blue In Green" (Davis)
- "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair" (Niles)
- "I'll Take Romance" (Hammerstein II, Oakland)
- "Mourning Before Grace" (Smith)
- "Threnody" (McPartland)