Candidate de Blasio on Housing and Transportation

Thursday, October 24, 2013

New York City Public Advocate and Democratic candidate for mayor, Bill de Blasio, talks about housing and transportation issues.

Bill de Blasio

lilana from NY

in my point of view i hope mr de blasio will fix these changes cause since from the shudtdown it did affect us for people. iam not sure lhota win this debate cause there is many different opnions coming from all lot of people . affortable act care, housing , transporation , obama care , racial discrimination. and plus since the stocket market it raised up higher like 75% when they open up for restoration i hope the mayorial candidates will raise up the house mortages or housing cause as for the irs . i do not like to be in a depression we both want a stablize country and a great stablize economy iam a right people.

Nov. 03 2013 11:18 AM
Norman Oder from Brooklyn

Rather gentle treatment of the Atlantic Yards issue...

Here's what de Blasio should be asked: How exactly have you pressured Ratner? What public statements or public criticisms have you issued? Did you say anything about the failure to provide the promised amount of family-sized apartments in the first tower? Did you say anything about the failure to hire an Independent Compliance Monitor for the Atlantic Yards Community Benefits Agreement?

Actually, de Blasio has repeated the developer's talking points. More here:

Norman Oder/Atlantic Yards Report

Oct. 25 2013 08:13 AM
Rob from NY

I would love to see De Blasio to enforce inclusionary zoning to create affordable housing. My concern is that he will backtrack on this promise, and others, because it gets in the way of the upper-middle class Democratic establishment. All the building of car parking makes building affordable housing far more expensive. We need to get rid of parking minimums.

Oct. 24 2013 01:40 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Pre-Pre-Pre-K won't help as long as the child lives in a home, in a community which doesn't value study, mastering the course material, and real tests that measure a students mastery of the course subject.

Oct. 24 2013 12:28 PM
Long memory from NYC

Brian,
I was disappointed by the softball questions you lobbed at Mr. DeBlasion. As a registered Democrat, I will vote for Mr. Lhota. Mr. DeBlasio is, simply, full of hot air, with virtually no real experience managing large budgets and the complexities of New York. He talks about "fairness" and equality, but is too young to remember when it was unsafe to ride the subways even during the day, when tenants were routinely held up in the elevators and hallways of rent stabilized buildings and needed to form ad hoc security patrols. I did not agree with all of Giuliani's policies, however, I was comfortable with sending my child to a distant public school because the subways were so much busier and safer. In addition, he is in favor of "holistic" admission requirements for the city's elite public high schools but does not acknowledge their current demographics. Poor Asians make up their largest constituency, but Asians are not considered minority enough by Mr. DeBlasio. Pre-K for all is a wonderful idea, but Mr. DeBlasio has offered no certain way to get the funding for this.

Oct. 24 2013 12:20 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Apparently blackheartedsocialists "Word-A-Day" calendar ended at "knuckledragger".

Oct. 24 2013 12:08 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

So JG, well that's not what you said. You said NO to poor people period. Which I found a bit hypocritical. Talk about pulling up the ladder behind you.

Oct. 24 2013 12:01 PM

Chizzlewit: The third Stooge of the Circle of Idiots.

Oct. 24 2013 12:00 PM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

hey scott - go back to your cave knuckledragger....

Oct. 24 2013 11:54 AM
Scott

I was going to pledge more money but it looks like I will need to save up for all the new taxes and fines Bill will try to implement when he becomes mayor. I can't wait for him to fix this big inequality issue.

Oct. 24 2013 11:49 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Sheldon again

We were in a refugee camp in Germany, totally homeless, waiting to go to Palestine, when I was born with some health problems. Truman let us in. Buf we were homeless, and stateless people, who kissed the ground in America, and came by boat. We didn't come for the money. We came because we had no place of our own. Not all the poor immigrants are stateless and homeless. Many just come for the money they hope to find here. It's not the same. I'm all for letting in stateless, homeless refugees, like the Vietnamese boat people, for example. But to let in a stream of people for no other reason than they happen to be poor, or just want to avail themselves of the fatness of this land is no longer a valid reason. We are no longer a vast country in desperate need of strong backs to develop it.

Oct. 24 2013 11:47 AM
Robert from NYC

Oh come on Brian, do you really buy into that republican bull that the rich will run out of the city? Maybe a handful but rich folks will bitch then pay it and stay and fight it even if it means waiting until the next election. But I would bet my LIFE that not many rich run from such silly small taxes. They have enough hidden in the Bahamas to cover their butts! Seems not only do they not understand us but we don't really understand them.

Oct. 24 2013 11:40 AM
Michael from Brooklyn

What about the monstrosity that developers are trying to build on the Greenpoint waterfront? The neighborhood does not want it. What will you do ? It needs to be stopped.

Oct. 24 2013 11:40 AM
Jay F.

As a New Yorker who is going to vote, I absolutely want to know who Mr. de Blasio's appointments are going to be.

Oct. 24 2013 11:40 AM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

once again, lehrer, shows how much of a hack he is.... "the welcome mat to the rich?" so childlike and pathetic....

Oct. 24 2013 11:39 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

But JG,

If it were up to you, a struggling immigrant family - like your parents would NOT be allowed in NYC today, because they are poor?

Oct. 24 2013 11:38 AM
Robert from NYC

There was a time when a taxi just stopped, you got in and they took you to where you wanted to go. Now they stop, lock the door, ask you where you want to go while you're standing outside the cab, and if they don't want to go there they just say no and drive away. Granted it's a bit more dangerous out there these days but no matter where you go or who you pick up you're taking a chance in that position and all should be done to protect the driver. But to have to go through that ordeal is really a problem especially if you're in a hurry.

Oct. 24 2013 11:38 AM
KM

In terms of pedestrian safety, I'd like to know what Mr. DeBlasio's opinions are on NYC's Zero Prosecution policy for individual and commercial motorists who kill pedestrians in the crosswalks and cyclists because they "didn't see them."

Maybe if if prosecution were a possibility, these motorists would be a little more careful about looking.

Oct. 24 2013 11:38 AM
Susan from Manhattan

Brian, I hope you'll ask Mr. De Blasio his view of rent stabilization in the city. Even though it's better than no stabilization, the approved rates are still very high, or so it seems to me -- 7 percent last time around.

Oct. 24 2013 11:34 AM
Alan from Manhattan

I'd like very much to be able to vote for Bill de Blasio, but his position in support of the 91st Street Waste Transfer Station is unconscionable. The argument was laid out strongly in the Huffington Post on September 3rd by Matthew Chapman.

Mr. de Blasio would be well advised to read the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-chapman/bloombergs-marin-transfer-site_b_3857268.html. It should--and I hope will--change his position on this enormously important issue.

Yesterday, Mario Cuomo was reported by the Daily News to have joined demonstrators at the 91st Street site.
EXCLUSIVE: Mario Cuomo joins protestors against garbage station on upper East Side
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mario-cuomo-joins-nyc-garbage-station-protestors-article-1.1493501#ixzz2iebIRMJK

Oct. 24 2013 11:32 AM
lk from Brooklyn

What does he thing about the Chinese company owning the Atlantic Yards site? Is he going to hold their feet to the fire to build affordable housing?

Oct. 24 2013 11:31 AM
Robert from NYC

Will we finally get, like most major and many minor cities in the rest of the world have, direct transportation (rail) to our major air ports? Would be nice to get on a train and get direct ride (maybe another pick-up stop or two on the way) and get off right inside the airports without getting off and having to schlepp onto a bus.

Oct. 24 2013 11:30 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Sheldon

When we got off the boat "the USS Marine Flasher that brought us to these shores on February 1, 1949. We went to our uncle who had a small hotel in the Catskills (Kerhonksen) where we stayed for a few weeks. They had come to the US in 1905, lost the farm in the depression, then bought it back, and turned it into a thriving hotel. It was called the Granite. Within a day or two, my father ran back down to the New York city and peddled out of a suitcase and then got a job in a small store in Brownsville for $5 a day. A few weeks we rejoined him and were living in a rat infested tenement. I still remember my mother buying live chickens, having them slaughtered, and then plucking the feathers out on the roof of the tenement :) Great memories :)

Oct. 24 2013 11:30 AM
Dan K from park slope

Brian,

Please, I'm begging you, ask Bill what he can do to fix the Building Department. I'm an architect, working w/my father, who also is one, and has worked out of Park Slope for 40 years.

He and I have never seen things so bad at the Dept.. It takes forever to get projects approved, and to get appointments, due to back-logs. There is no oversight of the reviewers, they're understaffed, and there's no public advocate at the department to help with grievances.

This fuctioning of this department affects innumerable jobs in the city, and should be an advocate for getting work done, not an adversary, with all due respect and concern for safety.

I BEG YOU
thanks,
Dan

Oct. 24 2013 11:24 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"I say, don't let anymore poor people into New York"

So JG, was your holocaust surviving mother - rich, when she came to the US?

Oct. 24 2013 11:17 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"New York City is a business and should be thought of as such"

Bloomberg sure did - for 12 years.

Oct. 24 2013 11:13 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Having said that, I don't think I can vote for Lhota either because we don't need another Giuliani at this point. We did in 1992, but not now. What we really need is another Bloomberg. So much for term limits. I can't vote for either guy.

Oct. 24 2013 11:13 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I think overall Bloomberg did an excellent job, which led to more people moving into New York! Instead of out of New York as had formerly been the case in the 70s and 80s. That means a housing shortage, especially for the poor. I say, don't let anymore poor people into New York :)

Oct. 24 2013 11:10 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

de Blaiso is an empty bag of hot air.

Have you seen his commercial? The one where he speaks to his true believers and says "We Are New Yorkers".

He might make a good Cheerleader.

"We Are New Yorkers!" Rah! Rah! Sis! Boom! Bah!

Oct. 24 2013 11:10 AM
Jay F.

After watching this weeks debate, there is NO WAY I would vote for Mr. de Blasio. He is out of touch with the realities of how to run New York City. New York City is a business and should be thought of as such. Liberal ideals are great and wonderful... but not in the real world.

Oct. 24 2013 10:17 AM

I hope Mr. DeBlasio will see the light regarding pedestrian plazas, which are definitely in the domain of transportation. 100% of New Yorkers are pedestrians regardless of the other modes of transportation they use, and everyone benefits from calmer, safer, more predictable streets and from having public places to sit.

I find his sudden circumspection on this issue to be a very troubling development from a candidate who claims to prioritize street safety in campaign collateral.

Oct. 24 2013 09:42 AM
art525 from Park Slope

AH Mr Chuzzlewit, I am really compelled to read that article since the headline is so erudite, so reasonable, so nuanced. AND I am impressed by Mz Diana Furchtgott-Roth's credentials. She is a Fox commentator, a member of the right wing Manhattan Institute and a former economic advisor to George W. Bush. That worked out well didn't it? Mr Bush came in with a large budget suplus and left us with the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression so yes with her wisdom if Mz Diana Furchtgott-Roth has any advice on the coming election I'm all ears.

Oct. 24 2013 09:19 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

"IN TWO WEEKS, NEW YORK CITY WILL COMMIT SUICIDE"
Diana Furchtgott-Roth – Manhattan Institute

(http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2013/10/22/in_two_weeks_new_york_city_will_commit_suicide_100681.html)

Oct. 24 2013 08:08 AM