A Cancer Doctor on Losing His Wife to Cancer

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Peter Bach, a doctor at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, talks about losing his wife to breast cancer. He examines how his views on treatment shifted in his role as patient’s husband. His article “The Day I Started  Lying to Ruth,” is in the May 5-18, 2014, issue of New York magazine.

Peter Bach

Reading the article took my breath away-read it through tears. Parting is so very sad. Cancer s*cks. The pain of being in it, the aftermath of loneliness, the sadness, the empty space and for me a nagging ache of missing the one person who completely got me. Not a day goes by that I don't wish he would walk through the door again with his mega-watt smile.
So sorry that Ruth is gone, Dr. Bach. I remember seeing you at MSKCC when we were there.

May. 07 2014 03:10 PM
John A

Commenter has confused that type I diabetes Was called juvenile diabetes and that that association had to be dropped Because type II moved down into the juvenile population. The increase in juvenile type II diabetes has in fact been associated with sugar and other food misuse.

May. 07 2014 02:12 PM
Listener from New York

I wish you had interviewed him about the range of emotions that he discussed in the article, the translucent sheen of depression, the loneliness around others who were living, the grief that pops up on an ordinary day with ordinary memories after you've lost a loved one,and the wish that most will not admit to having: to speed things up. Such a moving article, one that resonates.

May. 07 2014 01:05 PM
Wayne Johnson Ph.D. from BK

Very good interview.

May. 07 2014 12:59 PM
Jill

can he say something about whether the initial treatment for the breast cancer didn't work? any understanding of why it came back?
it's making me quite nervous - as someone who went through breast cancer treatment recently - and was told I'm now cancer free......

May. 07 2014 12:52 PM
Listener from New York

"Lie" suggests black and white. The article, which I urge listeners to read, captures the gray of the whole experience. Thank you for this beautiful article.

May. 07 2014 12:48 PM