Boris Fishman on His Novel, 'A Replacement Life'

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Boris Fishman talks about his novel A Replacement Life, which tells the story of Slava Gelman. A young Russian Jewish immigrant, he dreams of becoming an acclaimed journalist. When he realizes his career has hit a dead-end, he makes a decision that blurs his notions of truth, honor, and right and wrong.

Boris Fishman

sanych

@jgarbuz

I guess I am the ONE.

My mother had spent two and a half years behind barbed wire in the ghetto in Ukraine. Because for the most time the area was under Romanian occupation she survived.

She lived with her grandparenta, while her parents were elsewhere. They all survived the war and I knew them all.

Jun. 11 2014 12:33 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Not a single child of Holocaust survivors ever knew a living grandparent. Not ONE. No child born to Holocaust survivors after WWII had a living grandparent to know. Not a single one.

Jun. 10 2014 01:22 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

First of all, fiction writers are born liars, so I personally almost never read fiction because real life is far more interesting and generally more honest thank a pack of lies.

But it is true that the survivors who remained in the Soviet bloc got no compensation whatsoever, but then in theory only those who actually were in the camps were initially entitled to Restitution, but over time the Germans relented and gave all who could PROVE with some reasonable evidence that they had materially suffered under the German occupation some kind of monthly stipend. But beforehand there were people who had not been the camps, and had been hidden, who managed to life and get evidence that they had been in the camps and thereby qualified to get German Restitution monies.

My mother took nothing from the Germans for the murder of her family until at the age of 80 I basically filed a claim in her behalf (when she already had ALzeheimers) and provided evidence after which she began to get about $250 a month for the final 7 or 8 years of her life plus about $6000 cash. Overall roughly $35,000 dollars. My grandmother, my mother's first baby, her two brothers, and first husband, and others, were murdered and her home of course lost as well. $35,000 dollars for the lot after age 80.

Jun. 10 2014 01:15 PM
Sara from LES

It wouldn't be a Lopate show without a Holocaust/Jewish-related topic.

Jun. 10 2014 01:11 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Yes, Neil

And it's the "Gulf of Mexico" not the American Gulf nor the Gulf of Texas and we Americans should remember that too.

Jun. 10 2014 01:02 PM
Neil from Austin, TX

Please remind your guest that it's the "Persian Gulf" not Arabian gulf. Shame on him for making this mistake and you for not correcting him.

Jun. 10 2014 12:51 PM