Bette Midler, circa 1980

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Bette Midler as Hollywood superagent Sue Mengers in 'I'll Eat You Last.' Bette Midler as Hollywood superagent Sue Mengers in 'I'll Eat You Last.' (© Richard Termine)

This segment originally aired live on April 1, 2014. An edited version was included in a best-of episode of The Brian Lehrer Show on May 26th. The unedited audio can be found here.

Bette Midler, award-winning entertainer, founder of the New York Restoration Project and the author of A View from A Broad, looks back on her first world tour with the Harlettes in 1980 and talks about her work on behalf of New York City's neglected parks and green spaces.

Bette Midler

In Hawaii too? When are you gulls gonna learn they're EVERYWHERE and there are more of 'em then you think!

Apr. 01 2014 11:21 AM
Listener from Westchester

What a mensch!

Apr. 01 2014 11:17 AM

At least she is not another stupid lefty celebrity Jew who is anti-Israel.

Mazeltov.

Apr. 01 2014 11:16 AM
steve from Manhattan

Bette's work with NYRP is inspirational and shows how a star can use their stardom for social good and for the betterment of earth. Thank you Bette for making our city more livable and more beautiful. And thanks for your divine music too...

Apr. 01 2014 11:16 AM
khadija Boyd from brooklyn

Wonderful! I feel 16 again & 20 & 62. Ms B.M, in the souk of my own head, always gave me the courage to remain independent thinking young woman instead of exotic "chick". Merci, Ms. B.M & specifically for the gardens. ;}}} khadija

Apr. 01 2014 11:10 AM
Aldona Rygelis from Wllsbg, Bkln

In 1992 one of my very closest friends died and left me her twin daughters. Bette Midler's movie BEACHES became my and my new daughters' favorite movie which we watched over and over again. It helped me in so many ways get through a very challenging time . I thank her for this movie from the bottom of my heart-and the middle and the top of my heart as well, for that matter.

Apr. 01 2014 11:08 AM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

Bette rocks!!!! Just saying.

Apr. 01 2014 11:08 AM
RJ from prospect hts

Ms. Midler's recognition of the importance of public green space is laudable, as has been her activism. But she's sadly helped take the *public* out of it by promoting the privatization--the conservancy focus--of them. Witness the fellow who donated $100,000,000 to the Central Park Conservancy *only* if none of it went to the rest of the neighborhood parks that desperately need them. The so-called nonprofit status of the conservancies--like BIDs, which involve self-taxation for high-income neighborhoods that can then afford extra services--is a farcical notion of public preservation.

Apr. 01 2014 10:56 AM
Robert from NYC

Bette BetteBette, we still love you and always will, you know that. You've been with us through it all. Big kiss and hug.

Apr. 01 2014 10:55 AM

I was fortunate enough to see Ms. Midler's Tseitel in 'Fiddler on the Roof' back in '71 or '72. An electric show that oozed energy. I loved it! Thank you so much for the experience.

Apr. 01 2014 09:22 AM