Best and Worst Movies of 2013

Friday, January 03, 2014

John Anderson, contributor to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Newsday, and America Magazine; Richard Corliss, chief film critic for Time magazine; and Joshua Rothkopf, senior film critic for TimeOut New York and chair of the New York Film Critics Circle, look back on the best and worst films of 2013.

What are your picks for best (or worse) films of the year? Let us know by leaving a comment below!

John Anderson, Richard Corliss and Joshua Rothkopf
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Elie from New York City

Inside Llewyn Davis was the best movie of the year. I highly enjoyed American Hustle (I saw it twice), but I feel it is slightly overrated while Inside Llewyn Davis is a hidden gem.

Jan. 06 2014 10:51 PM

@Bebe from Queens - 12 years a slave is socially RELEVANT? serious?

Jan. 06 2014 11:58 AM
Fishmael from NYC

@lance Rutledge (or WNYC producers):

Any more info or sources for that tile documentary? That sounds fascinating... I Googled it but came up empty... I love NYC history and I imagine that a lot of NYC tile must be mentioned....

Jan. 05 2014 02:56 PM
liz

Shouldn't the headline be 2013? Though I'd love to know what the best movies of 2014 will be!

Jan. 04 2014 09:52 AM
liz

Jan. 04 2014 09:52 AM
anna

Well, intelligent comments have miraculously disappeared.
We are NPR. No thinking and ethics please. March, march, march, carrying slogans "Miru mir" and "Druzhba narodov" while promoting bigotry.

Jan. 03 2014 03:53 PM
llopez from Manhattan

I rarely see American nonfiction films, so I only saw one this year and that was American Hustle, which I enjoyed.

But I saw some great documentaries: The Square, The Act of Killing, The New Rijksmuseum, 20 Feet from Stardom, Tim's Vermeer, When Jews Were Funny, Money for Nothing, and I guess a few others that I can't readily recall.

The Act of Killing left me physically shaken.

Jan. 03 2014 12:39 PM
Bobby Rivers from Sacramento

Just about all the critics I've seen on TV and quoted in national ads praising 12 YEARS A SLAVE are white. How racially diverse is the New York Film Critics Circle?

Jan. 03 2014 12:29 PM
J from nj

GRAVITY was unlike any movie experience I've ever had. Had to see it three times to take it all in. So it gets my vote for best picture.

Jan. 03 2014 12:28 PM
Arlene from New York, NY

I'm really disappointment by the selection of American Hustle as best film. I thought it was not only terrible but insulting as an intelligent audience member, an artist, and insulting to have been included in the same category as the other films up for the same recognition. Good actors are going to give a good performance no matter what piece of crap their in. The screen play was bad. And this film does not deserve the recognition it's getting. What is your criteria?

Jan. 03 2014 12:26 PM
Roslyn from Manhattan

Please don't mock me, but I really did enjoy "Saving Mr. Banks." Somehow this film has stayed with me. Emma Thompson's performance was lovely and vulnerable for me. No laughing, please.

Jan. 03 2014 12:25 PM
Bassett from Chappaqua

I found American Hustle, not withstanding all the outstanding performances a bore !!!! O. Russell's vision did not work. I was not thrilled with Silver Linings either. I did LOVE The Fighter, his last good film. These guys on you show now are informing me as to why I will not take their organizations seriously.

Blue Jasmine was my favorite film, perfect in every way and Wolf of Wall Street a close second. These reviewers are too cerebral and the bane of the movie going public. Just head one say they have no influence, amen to that !!!

Jan. 03 2014 12:25 PM
blue is not the warmest color at all from NYC

hard to believe blue is the warmest color even got made, let alone won anything at all in terms of praise. when the movie ended i fled the theater after a very long 3 hour film. if that movie hadn't been on lesbians would we even speak of it? my strong sense is, no we wouldn't.

Jan. 03 2014 12:24 PM
Bebe from Queens

The critics chose "American Hustle," another in a long line of films that glorify gangsterism, stupidity and bad behavior, over the brilliant, socially relevant and deeply affecting "12 Years a Slave"? It's another object lesson in the ultimate irrelevance of critics.

Jan. 03 2014 12:20 PM
Linda Hoaglund from brooklyn

The documentary film Let the First Burn was a magisterial, mesmerizing account of the destruction of the MOVE organization in Philadelphia. It set the record straight. Its exclusion from consideration for Academy award for best Documentary is tragic.

Jan. 03 2014 12:09 PM
Henry Coshey Linhart from Gowanus, Brooklyn

My favorite film of the year was 'The Great Beauty'.

After that Llewin Davis and American Hustle seemed tedious.

Jan. 03 2014 12:06 PM
lance Rutledge from Bklyn

My FAVORITE movie for 3013 was the fascinating documentary "The History of Tile and Linoleum Installation 1940-2006. Narrated by Sam Watertson. Lots of archival footage and interviews with some of the earliest installers who are now in their 80's and 90's.

The worst was definitely a docu-drama about about the behind the scenes story of the Modale /Ferraro presidential campaign. Called "They Could'a won" what went wrong. Such bad editing! at four hours long, I walked out after only two.

Jan. 03 2014 11:51 AM