Apple After Steve Jobs

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

After Steve Jobs’s death, new Apple CEO Tim Cook and his team faced many challenges and high expectations to sustain Jobs’s vision and keep the company moving forward. Former Wall Street Journal technology reporter Yukari Iwatani Kane discusses the situation at Apple today and offers clues to its future. She explores Tim Cook’s leadership and its impact on Jobs’s loyal lieutenants, new product development, and Apple’s relationships with Wall Street, the government, tech rivals, suppliers, the media, and consumers. She’s the author of Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs.

Yukari Iwatani Kane

@jgarbuz from Queens

Too bad. If you had bought the C64 and put the other $2,400 into Apple stock you'd be rich today.

Mar. 20 2014 12:40 PM
ericka

if it werent for Apple, i would be selling crafts on some street table in the cold. Intuitive, friendly, logical interface has kept me in graphics from the beginning (1985). A creative tool, communication device, for visual thinkers. Its the difference between control/alt/delete and tapping the ON button.

Mar. 19 2014 01:24 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

RUCB_ALUM

I didn't like the Commodore. I liked the Apple and had money to burn in those days. But later in 1985 my employer forced me to use the IBM PC and I hated it from day one, and still hate Msoft with a passion even though I use XP,the only half-way decent OS Msoft ever produced. But nowadays, I don't even own a cellphone much less a "Smartphone" or tablet, et al. Just my old PC and a Magic Jack is all I need.

Mar. 19 2014 12:49 PM
Gary from Brooklyn

Her conclusions seem unsupported:

Mar. 19 2014 12:47 PM
Jf from Bkln

Smart phones and cell phones cause brain tumors. Unless you use it as a free wifi phone with google voice

Mar. 19 2014 12:44 PM
Philip

Her comment that if Apple made the best phone it would sell the best is stupid. The Mac never competed with windows but drove Microsoft to be more like Mac OS, because it was the best UI!

Mar. 19 2014 12:42 PM

@jgarbuz

...I paid $3000 for my Apple II..."

Why are you celebrating paying $3K for the same chip and less memory than was available in a Commodore 64 for just $595? Your money would have been better spent on an IBM PC.

Mar. 19 2014 12:39 PM
Amy from Manhattan

It's not that "with so many employees, there will be some suicides." It's how the number of suicides at Apple's factories compares with the rate in the rest of the country. Is it in line with the overall rate, or is it higher?

Mar. 19 2014 12:34 PM
philior from Brooklyn

Dear Yukari, your knowledge of the subject is impressive. Nonetheless, I would recommend you to continue writing, not speaking publicly. Unless you will somehow manage to overcome your excessive use of "you know" in your speech.
Please listen you the podcast and count - you'll be amazed.

Best of luck,
sincerely,
Philior

Mar. 19 2014 12:34 PM
Al from Eastchester

The difference between Apple and Microsoft is which end of the pitchfork you're on. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say, "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people in the world, and the other kind," and those who don't say. Well, and then there's Yukari Iwatani Kane.

Mar. 19 2014 12:33 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

RUCB_ALUM

Remember the Apple III? I do. But I paid $3000 for my Apple II in 1981 and simply loved it! My first love affair with a piece of electronics hardware. Thank you Woz!

Mar. 19 2014 12:32 PM
Nina from Florence, Italy

Hi. I'm finding this reporter increasingly disturbing: two dozen suicides are enough! And why has she not uncovered any information on the benzene poisoning that so many Apple employees in China are succumbing to? Isn't that one of the reasons for the suicides? Something's lopsided about her view of the company, I think.

Mar. 19 2014 12:31 PM
Jon Pope from Ridge, NY

Why is this woman making excuses for really bad labor practices in China that millions of Americans fought so hard against (and some even died for) for decades to eliminate in this country?

Mar. 19 2014 12:29 PM

Anybody here remember Lisa? NeXT? Newton? The first iPod?

Apple rode two waves successfully - the absolute explosion in available telecommunications bandwidth and lucrative partnerships with Chinese manufacturing.

Apple design is now only slightly better than what comes out of other design houses. Apple quality control is horrid - 25% of their devices have a warranty claim within 24 months.

Lucky for them that inexperienced users treat their Apple devices like fashion rather than durable goods. That's part of the reason why Apple WILL NEVER appeal to corporate buyers who can only amortize this stuff so fast. (plus the iPhone call quality is STILL sub-par)

The "insanely great" days for Apple are done. Still have AAPL in your portfolio? Sell on the highs as it goes back down to less than $100.

Mar. 19 2014 12:26 PM
Vicious Cur from Virginia

I get the feeling Ms. Kane has no idea what she's talking about.

Mar. 19 2014 12:23 PM
DB

Jeez..this woman is deeply inarticulate. Did someone not tell her that on radio she was going to actually speak and answer questions? Its not a dental exam as we listen to L. L. Pull teeth...

I've heard the book is awful and will now avoid it.

Mar. 19 2014 12:23 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I knew back in 1996 that Apple was NOT going to go out of business, because it had a small but fanatically dedicated cadre of graphics professionals who required Macs to do their work effectively. The Mac rarely crashed. The software worked flawlessly. Professionals on very tight schedules, with no time to fool around with Microsoft's crash-prone products, were only 4% of the PC market, but that was just enough to keep Apple in business. When Jobs came back, he gambled on these new gadgets of his, and his gambles paid off big time.

Mar. 19 2014 12:16 PM
david from Ditmas Park

I get the feeling that the author doesn't really know much about Apple. She seems too careful with her statements and is just making generalizations that anyone who reads the WSJ could cite.

She comes off as myopic in her scope.

Her book will nonetheless probably be a NY Times bestseller and gain her a hefty sum of money.

Mar. 19 2014 12:14 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

When Steve Jobs was called back to Apple, he did the unexpected. He reinvented the MP3 player and called it "iPod" and with "iTunes" it worked! It sold likee hot cakes. Then he went on to the next gadget, the iPhone, inventing the "Smartphone." And then the iPad, etc. And with each of these successful reinvented gadgets he made sure that not only were they lovely, but also very profitable. Steve Jobs demanded a high price for his high quality and beautiful gadgets.

Mar. 19 2014 12:12 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

The next "Big Thing" is going to be personal robots. I hope Apple develops a user-friendly, highly intuitive iRobot soon. I'm going to need one soon.

Mar. 19 2014 12:08 PM

Emperor has no clothes moment:

-On your iPhone OR your Mac computer -- what percentage of the machine do you feel that you understand?

-And how often do you not complete a task because you did not understand how and you gave up?

Mar. 19 2014 12:04 PM
Gary Book from Port Washington, NY

Larry Ellison, who was a close friend of Steven Jobs, has stated that Apple without him is not going to do great things. I am curious if they are going to be coming out with a "Phalet" (Phone/Tablet) which would be a bigger iPhone in response to Samsung. There are also rumors of a 13 inch iPad. The new Windows 8 laptops have touch screens and merge the Surface and Windows 8 interface, will Apple do the same and produce a touchscreen Macintosh? There is also talk of Apple TV, integration of Apple Technology into wearable clothing and cars. The other area I have heard discussed is a purchase system using near field communication (NFC) using the authentication technology in the iPhone 5S. What do you think of any of these developments; with competition catching up to them, will their high margin business model cause Apple's profitability to decline due to competition and without the development of a new break through product and Steven Jobs?

Mar. 18 2014 11:08 PM