National Guard, state police to respond to NYC explosion

Email a Friend

There should be an embedded item here. Please visit the original post to view it.

Nearly 1,000 state police and National Guard will be deployed to New York City after an explosion that injured 29 people on Saturday night, New York governor Andrew Cuomo said at a press conference on Sunday.

The explosion, which occurred in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, was likely “intentional,” but there was no immediate evidence it was connected to terrorism, said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Speaking at a press conference in the neighborhood on Saturday, de Blasio also said the injuries were significant – cuts and burns – but that none were life-threatening. One person sustained a puncture wound, said New York Police Commissioner James O’Neill.

The blast on the street shook nearby apartment buildings and shattered glass. Law enforcement said they had surveillance video of the explosion but revealed few details. They said that it happened outside 131 West 23st Street around 8:30 p.m. EDT and that the cause was still undetermined. Authorities ruled out a natural gas explosion.

Police cleared the area and hauled away a secondary device, which appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wires and a cellphone, a law enforcement official who requested anonymity told the Associated Press.

“Whatever the intention here, New Yorkers will not be intimidated,” de Blasio said.

Earlier on Saturday morning a pipe bomb exploded near the start of a 5K race along the Jersey Shore in Seaside Park to benefit military soldiers. No injuries were reported.

De Blasio said investigators did not immediately see any connection.

President Barack Obama’s office said he was briefed on the matter.

The post National Guard, state police to respond to NYC explosion appeared first on PBS NewsHour.