Election Day Politics

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Errol Louis, new host of NY1's Inside City Hall, and WNYC reporters Azi Paybarah and Bob Hennelly, discuss the predictions for the election results.

Bob Hennelly, Errol Louis and Azi Paybarah

Ron from Flairon District of Manhattan

I split my vote, slightly. I voted for Cuomo on the Democratic line and all the rest on the Working Party The reason that I split my vote is my that the candidate who gets the most votes has his/her name on the A line and that is an advantage among those who are undecided.

Nov. 02 2010 02:09 PM
Yousuf from Shirley NY

United we stand.
Divided we'r Republicans!

Nov. 02 2010 12:21 PM
John from Chelsea

I voted at Bayard HS on 18th, it was busy and the poll workers were incrediblly helpful.
They pointed out the initiatives - when I got to the booth, a woman noticed I was having trouble reading the ballot, and she walked me over to another booth with better lighting.
Very pleasant!

Nov. 02 2010 12:05 PM
Rich K from Union City, NJ

I am voting for Albio Sires for the House.

I am voting against the NJ Constitutional Amendment, because it is so ambiguously worded that impossible to figure out what it actually does.

Nov. 02 2010 11:00 AM
Bill from Fairfield, CT

I am voting against entitlements.

Nov. 02 2010 10:54 AM
m from manhattan

there is a message on my voice mail that Pallodino is going to reduce my property taxes. When did the governor become responsible for local taxes?

Nov. 02 2010 10:49 AM
harumph from Brooklyn

Does anyone else get the sense that a lot of these people calling in are doing so because their family and friends are so tired of listening to them ramble endlessly that they go on the radio as a last resort?

Nov. 02 2010 10:38 AM
Melinda from Westchester

These paper ballots are really hard to read. The instructions are small. You need a magnifying glass to determine party affiliation such as "right to life". Also my ballot had an item on the back and there is not indication that there is another item on the back.

Nov. 02 2010 10:37 AM
john from office

Anyone that will base their vote on Pot is a fool. Pot?, go back to your mothers basement and smoke some more, then go to your job at the Keyfood.

Nov. 02 2010 10:37 AM
Gerhard Randers-Pehrson from Ossining

I have registered my disgust with Albany by voting for the Democratic candidates but on the Working Families or Independance party lines.

Nov. 02 2010 10:35 AM
Bob Fm B'klyn from Brooklyn, NY

I'm a registered Dem who is going to vote for Republican Bob Turner in NY's 9th CD. He is a commonsense businessman and vet and knows how to create jobs. His opponent is a big spending lib. The Dems should have spent more time and effort to save the economy and helping the private sector create jobs. It is clearly beyond their skill set and policy goals.

Nov. 02 2010 10:34 AM

I'm absolutely disappointed by the Democratic congress - but I believe Obama is doing the best he can - and is improving the country in a way the Republicans cannot. What have the Republicans done in the past 2 years that make them so worthy of your vote? Not to mention, what did they do for the 8 years before that to destroy this country. Anyone who votes for them is a fool, as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you earn less than $1million a year - they're not out to make the country a better place for you. Not by a long shot.

Nov. 02 2010 10:33 AM
ericf

as the economy tends to be cyclical and actions taken during the last two years need time to work the economy is likely to improve during the next two years no matter how this election turns out. my concern is that if there is a major republican victory in this election they will take credit for the improvement that occurrs afterward and claim it as validation of their policy positions.

Nov. 02 2010 10:33 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Brooklyn, New York
Atlanta, Georgia
Miami, Florida
New Orleans, Louisiana
Los Angeles, California

Everybody!

Get out there and cancel out those negative votes!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:32 AM
Edward from NJ

Hey Stupid, so when Democrats don't do every progressive thing you wanted, you think it's a good move to let the Republicans takeover?

Nov. 02 2010 10:32 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY! from Becky

Vote the straight Democratic ticket today!

Nov. 02 2010 10:30 AM
Martin from New York, NY

I'm so tired of hearing "Republican sweep" during this election season. And I talk back to the radio when I hear Democrats say they're going to vote Republican "to send a message."

Where were you for the last 10 years? How many times do you have to hear that we went from the country's greatest surplus to the greatest deficit ALL during the watch of the "fiscally responsible" Republicans!

You can't dig out of an 8 year hole in 2 years -- especially when you've got the bloated party of NO standing in your way.

Nov. 02 2010 10:29 AM
Martin from New York, NY

Nov. 02 2010 10:28 AM

Minor party vote: Jimmy McMillan, Rent is Too Damn High for Governor.

Normally I would have voted for the Democrat, but Cuomo is pretty disappointing, and it's obvious he has no plan for transit. He's an out-of-touch suburbanite, he's not good for NYC.

Nov. 02 2010 10:28 AM

the tea party will lead us to second class nationhood within 10 years.
keep voting for fear and ignorance!

Nov. 02 2010 10:27 AM
Stupid from NYC

Voted for Obama.
Boy do i feel stupid....

The man has no back bone

Look how he delt woth the banks .. higher bonus this year then ever before..

Health care -- what health care??????

the voters are sending the spineless Democrats a message...

thats why nuts like the Witch are running successfull campaigns

Nov. 02 2010 10:26 AM
john from office

As a registered republican, I voted for Cuomo. Because there was no real choice. But, relax. This too shall pass. America can weather any store as long as we participate and not stay home. Republicans are Americans too, we are not Nazi's.

Charles Baron comes accross as a racist, a balck racist.

Nov. 02 2010 10:26 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

This is how you are going to let them know The "tea" party is over!

Nov. 02 2010 10:25 AM
Edward from NJ

The only way to get healthcare done at all was to do it first. The premise that Obama would have been better off if they "took care of the economy" is absurd. Let's say they went all in on the stimulus. Any unemployment rate over 6 percent would have still been perceived/spun as a failure.

Nov. 02 2010 10:25 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

It has been a white ticket for years!! Don't be fooled vote the straight Democratic ticket today!!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:23 AM
Chris from Washington Heights

Sheer desperation. I was one of those who felt Obama was too much into compromise and bipartisanship, but the idiocy of those who are "anti-government" while depending on benefits and support cutting taxes for the rich has caused me to despair of the intelligence of much of the population. What Obama has done is so much better. We need that less-than-it-should-be health care reform, stimulus, etc.

Nov. 02 2010 10:23 AM

You can't cure stupid. We need to invest in our education system - above all else - so we have a populace that can analyze and use logic to make decisions. This is democracy's failure, IMHO, it relies on ignorant people - and they're often the majority.

Nov. 02 2010 10:22 AM

Here come
The bloodsuckers
And locusts
We elected.

Nov. 02 2010 10:21 AM
Don from Smithtown

I'd also like to point out the issue with "voting against" candidates. That's NOT HOW our system works. A vote says, "I agree with you and I want you to do with what you said you would do in your campaign." If you don't agree with a candidate, find a third party candidate! I am scared by this situation as much as the last caller, Rifka (sp) from Rivervale.

Nov. 02 2010 10:21 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

Yea nothing changed because the Republicans Blocked everything.
Now they want to let health insurance companies go back to denying coverage

FEAR

Nov. 02 2010 10:20 AM
Ed from Brooklyn

To the caller Lilly. I have to ask, what is it you actually think you will accomplish by voting Republican? If you are angry and want to send a message, vote Green.

Nov. 02 2010 10:20 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Dont be ignorant like caller Lily from Brooklyn, nothing changed..it has only been two years..takes longer than that to clean up the mess bush left the country in. Unemployment was born of the bush era.

Nov. 02 2010 10:19 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Victory on the horizon! Don't give 'em what they want, make them eat their words once again!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:16 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Hope - The Latinos are not staying home today!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:14 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Hang in there Jeff Pappas Ct. - don't give 'em wht they want - their is hope on the horizon, no matter what they say the "Blacks" are not staying home!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:13 AM
Susan from NYC

Dominant emotion--ennui. The cynical ballot initiatives that trap you between a rock and a hard place convince me nothing but a clean sweep, never on offer as the utterly corrupt protect themselves, can really effect change.

Nov. 02 2010 10:12 AM
beeb from brooklyn

dominant emotion: disgust
secondary: depression

those were not good choices, it was worst and worster, there was no lesser evil this year.

other elections: california
delaware

Nov. 02 2010 10:12 AM
VOTE DEMOCRAT TODAY!! from Becky

Democrats get out there and cancel out their negative votes!!

Nov. 02 2010 10:10 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

Apathy
How did the Republicans dodge, ignore or spin the fact that when Bush became President in 2000 we had a budget SURPLUS, then he gave tax breaks to the wealthy, started a war in Iraq, which he borrowed $ from China to finance.
Never mind the housing crisis...

Then Obama gets this train wreck to fix and the Republicans just say NO to everything. And blame it all on Him !

Beam me up Scoty , there are no intelligent life forms here!

Nov. 02 2010 10:10 AM
Don from Smithtown

Unlike in previous years when I've voted out of frustration and ignorance for the Green Party candidates with the hopes that he'd get the most of the third party votes, this year, I'm voting with confidence and a clear conscience this year for Warren Redlich for Governor. Mr. Redlich is intelligent, well-spoken, practical, and believes in what I believe in - a small, effective government that let people live their lives, even the oppressed minorities du jour.

While I'm not a libertarian, there's a candidate I can mostly agree with who I think would be effective. Though he's not electable, here's to the future!

Nov. 02 2010 10:07 AM
Derrick from Queens

I am a Democrat in Queens and voted against all incumbent representatives in Congress. and State Houses. Our electeds hardly campaign in Queens and take our support for granted. Why do we tolerate that? I feel its all about using NYC as a steppingstone to their next government job. Its time for a change or at least let them know they aren't as comfortable as they want to be.

Nov. 02 2010 10:06 AM
Cindy Harden from Brooklyn, NY

I voted in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn on my way to work and found the polling place surprisingly busy. However, the poll workers were certainly not handing out any cards to help folks with the ballot nor was anyone reminding voters about the initiatives on the back of the ballot. When I suggested that they do that - I was met with a shrug.

Nov. 02 2010 09:57 AM
Dan from Inwood

I'm a democrat & will vote as such Except in the race for Gov. I'm voting Green Party, Howie Hawkins, for Gov.

Nov. 02 2010 09:47 AM