Politics and Entertainment: New Yorkers Say Stewart's Rally Struck the Right Tone

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC. Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC. (Beth Fertig/WNYC)

Thousands of New Yorkers attended Saturday's so-called 'Rally for Sanity' in Washington, DC organized by late night comedians Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

They came from all over the metro area by trains, cars and buses. But many attendees said they had no excuse not to attend after Huffington Post founder Arianna Huffington paid for 200 buses to carry 10,000 people from New York to Washington.

Not that those buses were speedy. With so many people gathering at CitiField at 5:30 a.m., a Huffington spokesman said the last buses didn't leave until 7:30 a.m. And many didn't arrive until an hour after the rally's noon-time start. Once in Washington, New Yorkers, jaded by their city's wealth of transit options, were flummoxed when they had to wait in massive lines to enter the metro station by RFK Stadium for the ride to the National Mall -- a journey that involved DC's confusing metro card vending machines. A single public bus was waiting outside the station and was soon packed to the doors. No taxis, no pedicabs. Some wondered why a city so used to rallies didn't have a better transport system for getting visitors to the site.

People were still arriving on the Mall at 2 p.m. with only an hour left to go, but most seemed not to care. There was no urgency. The light-hearted tone was set by people carrying signs with non-sequitors such as 'WTF-They're Making a Sequel to Tron 2?' Others were more on message, such as "Stupid is Scary," "Reading is Sexy," or "Help Me Colbert, You're My Only Hope," which was carried by a woman dressed as Princess Leia. She was joined by a man in a Darth Vadar suit wearing a Sarah Palin mask.

Lots of people wore costumes on this Halloween weekend. A man dressed as a wolf in a grandmotherly robe (he took Colbert's fear theme to heart) approached an 8-year-old-boy carrying a sign that read "American Muslims for Sanity." Also spotted: a bright yellow banana costume, a dancing man in a panda suit with white underwear over his black leggings, and folks with no costumes carrying a sign that read "Zombies for Education Reform."

Despite frequent jabs among attendees at Palin, Glenn Beck and the Tea Party, both Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert made the media their main targets. Fifty-five-year-old Merri Milwe of Manhattan said she was hoping for a little more fire. She had attended a civil rights march in DC as a child. But overall she said the rally struck the perfect combination of politics and entertainment. Milwe said she was so inspired by Stewart's criticism of distortions by the media that she wants to run for a new position she's calling "truth czar." Her friend Janet Grillo, a Democrat from Venice, CA said she thought sanity was different from bipartisanship, though.

Most of those interviewed on their way to or back from DC described themselves as Democrats or Independents. Many had no idea what to expect except and were surprised by the large turnout. When asked whether the rally would lead to anything, Racy Joseph said she connected with people from around the country who are tired of "mean-spirited" rhetoric. While there was no partisanship on the stage, she hoped the event would increase turnout in midterm elections by raising awareness. Another attendee, who had come out from Chicago to take a bus from New York, said she would definitely vote now in off-year elections.

But if attendees aligned themselves in general with liberal or Democratic politics, Stewart and Colbert's lack of direct partisanship on stage pleased Eric Rotbard of West Nyack. The former Republican turned Independent says he loved the moment at the end when Stewart spoke about how "we all love this country...on the right and the left." Even if, Rotbard said, that's not what's portrayed in the media.

Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.
Beth Fertig/WNYC
Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.
Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.
Beth Fertig/WNYC
Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.
Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.
Beth Fertig/WNYC
Attendees of Saturday's 'Rally for Sanity' on the Mall in Washington, DC.

Tags:

More in:

Chill,Baby,Chill from Hastings-on-Hudson

Gary is the poster child for why we need to legalize pot.
Though there was a sign at the rally that said "Forget Cannabis: Legalize Haggis"

Nov. 04 2010 08:32 PM
Chill,Baby,Chill from Kerhonkson

Gary is the poster child for why we should legalize marijuana.
Though a sign at the Rally said "Forget Cannabis: Legalize Haggis"

Nov. 04 2010 08:30 PM
IWannaHoldYourHand from Ulster County

Poor Gary

Nov. 04 2010 08:22 PM
IWannaHoldYourHand from Ulster County

Poor Gary

Nov. 04 2010 08:21 PM
Jeff from Somerset, NJ

To Gary from Queens:
Even if all of your EVIDENCE was true---if the rally was in response to Beck, if S & C are partisan leftists who mock conservatives, if S invited Berek(sic) Obama to speak at the rally, if C is a shill mocking conservatives--it STILL WAS a "let's all tone down the rhetoric and civilly communicate" rally. Journalists other than conservatives like Beck were put up on the screen to display their over the top style. People from MSNBC like Ed Shultz, Chuck Scarboro, and certainly Cooper Anderson from CNN were mocked. I think that your saying that the rally was sponsored by the communist party and anti-semitic leftist groups is a stretch especially when you offer no EVIDENCE for that statement yet you say that should make anyone know that the rally is partisan. Your suggesting that Jon changed his name because he is embarrassed by his heritage seems very off the mark to me since he mentions being Jewish so often on his show in a very funny way. No one says that Jon Stewart is a leader of the Democrats as you suggest and certainly Jon would laugh at that suggestion. When you mock President Obama for being on the show in the same seat as Spears and Hilton you forgot to mention that John McCain also sat in that same seat many times as has George Will and other conservatives. It seems to me that the show mostly mocks hypocrisy whether it comes from the left or the right. It is just that the far right provides so much more opportunity to be be mocked especially when...well never mind. Being among so many well mannered civil, interesting, informed, well meaning, fun loving, bright, sensitive, tolerant people for a few hours was an honor and a pleasure. People enjoyed themselves and took home an honest, brilliantly conceived, well prepared and professionally delivered (except they could have had more sound and screens) message.

Nov. 02 2010 08:59 PM

Hey Gary from Queens, Stop blowing hot air your adding to the rising global temperature. If you were commenting on this story for any other reason than to see your own words in print you would have offered up some real support of your positions or even stated what your positions are. Don't come here looking for rational debate if you can't hold up your end but plan only on insulting those who don't share your views.
I couldn't care less what your opinions are, be then liberal or conservative, when you don't seem to have an ounce of respect for anyone else's'.
Liberal and conservative are very broad category that are not totally mutually exclusive and being educated does't lead you to choose one or the other, it only leads you to the right choice for you and that may even be in-between. Anyone that thinks differently hasn't reached that point.
Maybe you should go find a forum more suited to your tone...
PS Jon Stewart changed his name like many other actors, comedians, pundits, journalists, writers and musicians. To say it is common would be an understatement...

Nov. 01 2010 10:02 PM
Elaine from NJ from NJ

I went to the rally to be counted. I had an idea that it would be like it was - which was very special. On the train, I met a woman from Arkansas who claimed to be an "independent with a license to carry concealed" and "was attending because she was fed up with the insanity". I couldn't hear most of it, and couldn't see much from halfway back in the masses but it didn't matter. I felt that I was in a crowd of people I could be friends with and could have serious discussions with about all the issues. I am so glad I went.

Nov. 01 2010 08:37 PM
gary from queens

BTW----Jon Stewart's real name is Jonathan Leibowitz. For a Jew to do what he did 50 yrs ago would be justified. But to do what he did in the current day is baffeling, unless he's ashamed of his heritage. Again, based on moral character, or just plain genuineness and authenticity, why would anyone let themselves be lectured by him?!

Nov. 01 2010 04:35 PM
gary from queens

calmandindependent from Yonkers

Thank you for valuing me as a person. That is so nice.

But I think, therefore I am----a conservative. And as a conservative, I don't hold liberals in contempt. I wish most liberals would reciprocate, by valuing me for my opinions. For respecting diversity of thought, and not go ballistic (or villify) with those who dissent from liberal opinion. In other words, please value me for what I say, and address what I say. It will be a novel experience for me on this blog.

When I was a liberal 15-20 yrs ago, I was in bliss. I never had to think for myself. The liberal mainstream opinions dominated and so I never had to defend my liberal positions (read "pretentions") against conservative arguments. Indeed, living in NY, pre internet days, i was safely insulated from opposing ideas.

And that is why I value every liberal on this blog----not for their critical thinking, which is non existent. But rather for reminding me what I once had been, and the progress I made, not as a person, but as a thinking person.

Nov. 01 2010 04:25 PM
calmandindependent from Yonkers

Oh, poor Gary! I wish you could have attended the rally; it would have eased some of that hostility and hypersensitivity.
It's exactly the tone of your email we were all trying to overcome.
We may disagree, Gary, but I still value you as a person.

Nov. 01 2010 03:38 PM
gary from queens

Perhaps I should be fair and point out one good thing about the rally: It will help Republicans at the polls.

The arrogance and condescension exhibited by Stewart, Michael Moore, and the Hollywood liberal elites always manages to ignite a backlash among conservatives, who get even at the polls. It happened in 2004. Few of those pot heads at Stewart's rally will show up to vote.

Nov. 01 2010 02:47 PM
Katie Kennedy from Huntington, NY

Sorry, Donovan, that you're too old (over 50) to get the jokes. Maybe you should see a doctor and see if you can get something for that. I'm WAY over 50, and I get them. Not only that, I think Jon Stewart is one of the funniest--and smartest--men around.

Nov. 01 2010 01:42 PM
gary from queens

Even though I probably have a different political philosophy than Jeff from Brooklyn, I would agree with his take on the rally.

It's hard for anyone to take you seriously when you don't take yourself seriously. I mentioned dual and conflicting messages below, with respect to Stewart's aims, and his own politcal position. The fact that the rally was sponsored/supported by a who's who on the left, including the Communist party, and by anti semitic leftist groups, should tell anyone it was partisan. The supposed high minded aim of the rally---occassionally proffered by Stewart in sanctimonious lectures----was belied by that and more.

Even his disdain for the dumbed-down, short attention span, sound-bite world of the media and cable news was insincere: Stewart and Colbert traffic in that same fair----even worse, with their slanted news (to achieve punch lines to mock conservatives and conservartive icons) and their great devotion to political discourse (interview segments lasting 7 minutes, peppered with wise cracks to play to the audience. And we must listen to him lecture the nation on political civility and seriousness?

As Jeff related, this is a comedian who was doing schtick. This is all that Democrats have as a leader?! I suppose when your president appears on late night comedy shows, whooping it up in the same seat where Britney Spears and Paris Hilton sit, it's probably a step up for them.

Nov. 01 2010 01:25 PM
The Truth from Becky

Jeff From Brooklyn: Honestly, I don't think you were there at all and if you were, you really missed the point. If nothing else you had a good day out with your friends/family.

Nov. 01 2010 12:40 PM
Jeff from Brooklyn

I was at the Rally. Have not got a chance to see the re-run on television, but my experience participating is one of disappointment. I can't help thinking, with that turn out on the ground, and the excited audience watching on tv, “what a wasted opportunity”. We didn’t have to overturn cars or anything like they’re doing in France, but going to the Washington Mall for two hours of “shtick” and video clips with no speakers of consequence, context, commitment? Come on! I can be sane AND mad. In fact should be in our twisted modern landscape.

I really thought (foolishly) that if the folks behind the daily show and Colbert put something like this on, and over 200K people show up, that they'd have the courage, wisdom, and skills to transcend format. Instead of leaving the 'gathering' with a focused call to action (against insanity of real extremism ) or a cathartic experience that we're not crazy (against mind bending and persistent assaults on logic and civility), I felt a part of the largest tv show in American history. That's all. I did have a great day with friends, enjoyed seeing the mall, but as for being part of a rally, anti rally, or whatever, I felt duped into being a member of an outdoor studio audience. Color for another piece of media. The same media being criticized.

At the end of the day, with a comedy team that lives in the sarcastic, one thing I should have taken seriously from them was it definitely wasn’t a rally. I wish the constant calls to join the ‘not a rally’, the free buses, and all that were a joke as well. I would have stayed home, got some sleep, and watched the clips on You Tube like the disengaged passive American those of us feeling insane against insanity are encouraged to do.

Nov. 01 2010 12:36 PM
gary from queens

LIBERAL FANTASIES ON PARADE

That is what the rally was, and what Beth's article is. Emblematic of liberal mindsets in which they believe that which fills their philosophical template.

REALITY: Stewart/Colbert did not organize a non-partisan, "let's all tone down the rhetoric and civilly communicate" rally.

EVIDENCE: The rally was in response to the (Stewart alleged) right wing "end-of-times" Glenn Beck rally.

EVIDENCE: Stewart & Colbert are partisan leftists. They mock conservatives on their shows all the time.

EVIDENCE: He invited bomb-throwing Berak Obama to speak at the rally.

EVIDENCE: He mocked conservatives at the rally using his shill, Colbert.

Why would any independent non partisan voter take this man seriously? A man who drops the S and F bomb routinely to describe conservatives and conservative ideas? Stewart and Colbert have no moral authority or have shown consistent non-partisan and civil behavior in public discourse. And Stewart had the gall to lecture us at the end of the rally?

Nov. 01 2010 12:30 PM
Dan A. from NYC...where else?

Jane you ignorant slut.

Nov. 01 2010 12:27 PM
Rob McCallum from NJ

The Best Sign at the Rally for a Return to Sanity

"A conservative is a person who admires radicals that have been dead for 200 years."

There seemed to be many more people there than estimated (250,000) since many people gave up and left the area when they couldn't get anywhere near the stage or even the screens and could not even hear anything like us. We were 4 blocks (about 1/4 miles) away. I spent most of the rally trying to find my lost wife!

Rob

Nov. 01 2010 12:24 PM
Kim A from Manhattan

I am so glad that I braved the traffic and the crowds to get to the rally. While Jon and Stephen very clearly intended to lampoon the sensationalist media and its involvement in politics, I think the most important thing they did was restore attendees' faith in themselves as a political force. Our presence there was a statement that pragmatism has a place in the national conversation. If the media refuses to turn off Glenn Beck, we can drown him out. Let's return to the voting booth refreshed and empowered!

Nov. 01 2010 12:19 PM
Katie from Brooklyn, NY

I'm a woman in my late-20s, and attended the rally. I'm just barely old enough to remember a time before the extreme polarization in this country. During my college years, I spent a lot of time in an online forum on someone's personal blog, debating issues with people on the opposite side of the political spectrum, and I feel I learned a lot. As the cable news networks have gotten more partisan over the years, I've seen fewer and fewer similar conversations taking place in the national media. Everything seems to have gone to the extremes. I went to the rally because of this - we need fewer angry people yelling and more respectful discussion.

Nov. 01 2010 12:03 PM
The Truth from Becky

Just because there was no violence or bigotry or hate posters does not mean there was not a message. The message is clear Dems VOTE tomorrow and show them what it is!

Nov. 01 2010 12:03 PM
NYCarl from East Village

I was there for one reason.

The Brittish caller hit the nail on the head: our media pretends there is only a left, right, and a very contentious "center" ...but no such thing as truth!

For Christ's sake, we need more hosts and journalists with at least as much balls as any typical BBC host/journalist!

In contrast to the other caller who said the rally was about people in the "center", it was not. Never did anyone say, we need to be more in the "center". It was about having rational discourse! Rational discourse, will filter out the BS!

Gooo team sanity!

Nov. 01 2010 12:02 PM
simponsmovieblew

so it sounds basically like a DEAD show for DEADHEADS but with basic cable but not ears. CEWL!

Nov. 01 2010 12:02 PM
bernie from bklyn

jon stewart's point showing the cars going into the holland tunnel was really lost on me...one of the only times i've heard jon stewart sound like an out-of-touch celebrity. anyone who drives through the holland tunnel knows that there is virtually 0% cooperation. every car tries to screw over the next car, EVEYTIME! and the cars that try and squeeze in from the side and cut the line are not a rarity but the norm, everyday and everytime. i love you mr.stewart but the american people are, for the most part, and ignorant and selfish, self serving group.

Nov. 01 2010 12:01 PM
The Truth from Becky

Please don't let Brian or Beth fool you...it was an excellent rally with a meaningful message for those who had ears to hear it.

Nov. 01 2010 12:01 PM
Judith from Brooklyn

I was at the Rally - lots of good fun! Why is everybody trying so hard to make it about politics?

Nov. 01 2010 12:00 PM
Sylvia from Massachusetts

I was struck by the parallel between Jon Stewart's hilarity followed by a speech to the current times and Charlie Chaplin's comedy followed by his stirring speech. But that was 1940. May the similarity in times end there.

Nov. 01 2010 11:59 AM
jm

Jerry: how do you know we aren't participating in our own communities? Are we not allowed to have fun once in a while?

Nov. 01 2010 11:59 AM
CT

What a fun day that was! What struck me most was how genial everyone was. I've never seen such a polite, happy-go-lucky mob before!

Nov. 01 2010 11:56 AM

I am curious why Brian states that probably most people listening to his show right now did not see or hear the rally coverage. Why do you think that? I did not get to go, but I certainly followed the rally coverage.

Nov. 01 2010 11:55 AM
jm

I went with my relatives (who live in the area), and we had a really fun time! I can see why they kept the lineup a secret until the last minute, and the variety of guests was both bizarre and brilliant. Everyone audibly gasped when Cat Stevens appeared, and I was laughing afterward when two groups of people could be heard saying, "I wish Stevens/Osbourne could have finished his song!" when that wasn't actually the objective. There was something for everyone.

Nov. 01 2010 11:53 AM

The rally coverage (in full) is available on YouTube and clips are available TheDailyShow.com

Nov. 01 2010 11:29 AM
SJM from Bronx

Rally critics' observation that there is no equivalency in the corrosive effect of the extremism from the left and right is certainly true. Stewart's larger point was that the media, not only on the cable news networks, seems uninterested in any political opinion that is not extreme and expressed in the most provocative language.
We went to the rally. We went to demonstrate that there are middle aged middle class Americans who are not made irrational by our anger and our fears.
We were impressed by the generational diversity. There were people who didn't know who Jeff Tweedy is but they told others who Cat Stevens is.

Nov. 01 2010 11:26 AM
Eric K

Typical Leftistish/Liberalish Event: Disorganized and under-estimating of its own ability to turn people out. They didn't account for crowds on the back half (monument side) of the mall so no speakers back there. The speakers on the front half were going in and out. Not enough monitors. 3 Out of the 4 groups of people I know who went (Including myself) gave up an hour and a quarter in. Only 1 of my friends said he had a good spot to at least hear everything clearly. I essentially missed the rally while being there. Too bad.

But I did enjoy the following signs:
Zombie McKinley 2012
I'm Annoyed But It's Not That Bad
Down with This, Up with That
Americans for...Oh Look! A Puppy!

Nov. 01 2010 11:24 AM
PeaceLoveandUnderstanding from Westchester County, NY

Will the rally be re-broadcast anywhere on television?
What a day it was! People had signs like Hi! and You Are Beautiful and Please Don't Shout At Me. We schlepped for over 6 hours in traffic to Baltimore the night before and had to leave the rally early to make our train back to Baltimore, and it was worth every minute.
For a precious few hours, NICE was the priority and the goal. If the rally makes you feel defensive, then you should have been there, because it was the most welcoming and disarming environment I've been in in a very long time.
The point of the whole day was to just be pleasant and enjoy each other.
It made me think back to the 60's and 70's when my parents had parties at which people would argue politics, sometimes shouting at each other, but somehow, by the end of the evening, everyone was kissing each other goodnight, shaking hands and the best of friends. I just can't imagine that happening now.

Nov. 01 2010 11:22 AM
Linda

Overall, the rally had a low-key, easygoing tone. At least, that was the impression I had as a 1 p.m. arrival. And I guess that was the point.

Two other observations:

A great many attendees--many more than I expected--were over age 50.

When Jon Stewart announced that the final, big-deal musical performer would be Tony Bennett, the young couple (late teens? early 20s?) standing next to me looked at each other and asked-- Who's Tony Bennett? Ouch.

Nov. 01 2010 11:20 AM
Donavan from Nolita

Jon Stewart galvanizes the rising generation of voters. People over 50 don't get the jokes or grasp the mentality: we're more laid-back; we're not married to any specific political party; we hate fanaticism; and we just want to live in peace with our neighbors, be they Christian, Muslim, Liberal, Conservative, Black, White, or whatever.

Nov. 01 2010 11:18 AM
luckyparker from Dobbs Ferry, NY

Aaaah! I am refreshed and - yes, actually - saner after attending the rally. It was delightful to be in a no-attack zone, where people were gentle and funny and nice, striving for tolerance and acceptance.
Though the funny signs got all the attention, there were many that expressed the sentiments of this sign "I may not agree with you, but I still value you as a person" and "I'm really not that angry".
The mall was incredibly packed; really shoulder-to-shoulder and everyone behaved beautifully.

Nov. 01 2010 11:06 AM
Anthony from nyc

The rally wasn't a "fun" light weight event. It was primarily filled with people who were concerned and very serious about what has happened to this country and democracy, of all ages from around the country. I was moved by the inteligence of most I met there.

Nov. 01 2010 11:05 AM

My favorite rally sign:

No matter how many people believe it,
that doesn't make it a fact

Next favorite sign:

I'm
With
< Informed >

Nov. 01 2010 10:55 AM
Katie Kennedy

Fortunately, we did not meet even one person like Jerry or Jane on our trip. A calm crowd with no drinking, fighting, or short tempers and a terrific message: You don't have to be conservative, Republican or a Tea Partier to love your country or to be patriotic. The crowd cleaned up after themselves, and when waste baskets were full, amazingly, neatly piled their soda bottles, etc. around the base of the garbage pails. Transportation was packed, and we ended up spending an extra night in DC because we couldn't get on a train to the car until it was just too late to drive to NY, but it was absolutely THE BEST RALLY I've ever been to. Thanks Jon Stewart. You go, then I'll go.

Nov. 01 2010 10:51 AM
elaine from li

I went to the rally on the Huffington bus. I had a very positive bus experience and was surprised at how organized and well supervised it was considering how 'last minute' it was. Thank you Arianna! The rally was fantastic. If you don't get it-or Stewart or Colbert- there is nothing to say to you. 250,000 of us definitely do get it and are so frustrated and disgusted with the state of our political system and media that we just needed a big hug and got it. The show was funny, entertaining and perfectly pitched. Where we go from here-I don't know?

Nov. 01 2010 10:50 AM
Calls'em... from Here, there & everywhere

Comedy Central held a fun free concert on Halloween 2010. The turnout was probably 200-250,000 people. Much smaller than either of the Tea Party 9-12-10 events, but a better turnout then the paid for 50-60,000 zombies who showed up on 10-2-10 for the socialist group & union rally. Too bad the racist NPR network and WNYC failed to meaningfully cover the 9-12 events in 2009 or 2010 or Glenn Beck's wonderful rally on 8-28-10 which had at least 500-600,000 people. Keep up the biased coverage. People are dropping NPR in droves, but you always have George Soros, the Nazi collaborator to fund your endeavors. Aren’t you special.

Nov. 01 2010 10:40 AM

Of the 4 hours of my rally time, I spent 3 and a half on the metro in DC trying to get there and back. But everyone was helpful and friendly and completely kept in the spirit of the day. So my experience may not have been actually seeing much of the rally, but I did see a very large group of people literally packed together like sardines for too long - and felt the sanity. No one was mean or selfish or losing it. I was alone and talked to a lot of people. Everyone had a reason for going, everyone just wanted the best for our country. No regrets.

And the reason that day was picked, was because they had been scheduled for months to be shooting the show in DC at that time. Not to exploit election day.

Nov. 01 2010 10:35 AM

I went to the rally. It took 3 hours to get downtown on the Metro - and we waited, patiently, with about 1000 other people also waiting patiently. We arrived to a huge crowd, everyone frustrated at how hard it had been to get there, everyone jovial and smiling. I have seen much worse behavior on the NYC subway at rush hour - it was amazingly civil in DC. For me personally, the rally was not about attending a political event - OBVIOUSLY IT WAS A COMEDY SHOW - just like Glenn Beck is also an entertainer and his rally should have been considered ENTERTAINMENT. Regardless, it was heartening to see how many people came out to be counted. That was the reason most people I questioned in the long hours in line (and I myself) attended. We wanted to show that there are more people who are reasonable, educated and "sane" (the conceit of the rally) than there are who listen to rhetoric and hyperbole.

Nov. 01 2010 10:31 AM
jerry

Question for rally attendees: Where were all of you during the townhall meetings devoted to healthcare? You voted for Obama, then left the playing field, and allowed the tea party activists to dominate the public debate. If only Dem politicians had invited Jon Stewart to their townhall meetings, then you would have shown up.

Nov. 01 2010 09:49 AM
Deborah S Ray from Mendham

The Huffington Post Bus experience was very disappointing, because of lack of crowd control those of us patiently waiting in line at 5:00am were pushed/crushed to the back of the line. Didn't even get on a bus until 7:00am. Then, just outside of Baltimore, our bus driver took us to Federal Express Stadium instead of RFK stadium. Luckily, a high school student had a GPS on his phone and directed driver the rest of the way -- an hour wasted. When we got to RFK the mob scene at the Metro prompted us to walk the 2.5 miles to the rally. We got there at about 2pm and could hear the roar of the crowds. On the way home, as we crossed the Verazano, the bus driver (a different one) asked if anyone knew how to get to CitiField!! We spent $350 on a motel by CitiField -- perhaps our money would have been better spent supporting a candidate. We did learn that Friday night at the Holiday Inn is the place to be for karaoke!!

Nov. 01 2010 09:42 AM
jerry

Jon Stewart’s keynote speech was a juggernaut of cloying, suffocating, nauseating, cornball mush. Stewart used a video montage to deliver a dishonest message of false equivalence. He was dead wrong to suggest that the left and the right were equally culpable for poisoning the well of civil discourse. Left wing extremism is greatly overshadowed by right wing extremism in terms of scale and influence. Stewart implying that left wing and right wing extremism are opposing forces of equal strength is like me asserting that an ant hill is equivalent to Mount Everest.

Nov. 01 2010 09:28 AM
jerry

Jon Stewart’s decision to hold a rally the weekend before Election Day was criminally narcissistic. If Stewart had any integrity, he would have realized how irresponsible his decision was. With Repubs poised for huge wins, Dems should have been pulling out all the stops and doing all the grunt work to save as many Dem seats in Congress as possible. Thanks to Stewart’s egomania, 200,000 Dems amused themselves to death by attending his rally instead of staying in their communities and doing something constructive to help Dem candidates cross the finish line on Election Day.

Nov. 01 2010 09:25 AM
DJ6ual

Was The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear March a Success?

Oct. 30 2010 11:20 PM
jane stewart

new yorkers are a sick twisted bunch, and not in a good way. Useful idiots.

Oct. 30 2010 10:10 PM