Tech Reporter Julia Angwin on "What They Know"

Monday, November 01, 2010

Julia Angwin, Pulitzer Prize-winning technology journalist for the Wall Street Journal, discusses her latest series for the newspaper, "What They Know" an exploration of the information that companies, websites, and even police agencies can collect on you based on your Internet searches.

DE Teodoru from ny

I lived under this kind of surveillance under Communism. It is not surprising that it also befalls the ME-ist fat ugly midde-aged know-nothing Americans of today.

But the goal is not profiling it is exsanguination of all your assets as the rich get richer and the middle class bleeds to death. This is corporate economic cannibalism. And it is your flesh that will soon feel it for they can only survive so long as the profit margin gets larger. Without reinvesting their profits your econimic veins are their only parasitic assets. It turns out that now that we beat Communism, the corporations that used to be afraid are afraid no more and are making capitalist economics EXACTLY what Marx said it is!

Nov. 08 2010 03:25 PM
me

Link to the original story + comments:

Nov. 01 2010 12:43 PM
Marielle Poss from Brooklyn

One of my usual websites regularly sends me weight loss ads. I assume this is because they assume that every woman over 40 needs to (or at least wants to) lose weight. I don't, and I find it obnoxious.

Nov. 01 2010 12:34 PM
Marc from Denver

Julia is under informed. Things are much worse than you she is able to discuss (judging from her use of terminology)

I have written, used, and taken action on my own beacon. She is not even close to understanding the implications of this and similar privacy invasions. My beacon is built (simply) to be used on the same server (as a background) color making it undetectable. I am a rookie at this type of programming.

I work professionally in web development and your privacy is at tremendous risk.

--M
(attn Julia) The email works, I can help.

Nov. 01 2010 12:32 PM
Joyce from NYC

If you don't open an account, buy "buy as a guest" or use a site as a guest do they put in the same cookies, etc?

Nov. 01 2010 12:28 PM
me

Why is there not a link to the *original* comments page? A comment was just referenced that is not visible here.

Nov. 01 2010 12:28 PM
bob

we pledged last week, and what we have monday. reruns? nice mr. Lopate. very nice.

Nov. 01 2010 12:24 PM
Dam from Nya

What is the easiest way to remove tracking cookies that are already on your computer?

Nov. 01 2010 12:19 PM
Bill Form LI

Does the private browsing feature protect you from being tracked?

Nov. 01 2010 12:18 PM
Mark from NYC

So where on Google can you see what they know about you?

Nov. 01 2010 12:17 PM
Dee from Morningside heights

Do any web browsers collect information and sell it to advertisers?

Nov. 01 2010 12:15 PM
me

Don't forget about Flash Cookies.
If you use Firefox, there is an extension (Better Privacy) that allows for easy deletion.
The files are generally located here: C:\Documents and Settings\***Your user name***\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player

Nov. 01 2010 12:13 PM
Edward from NJ

Cookies don't slow your computer down. If anything, deleting cookies will slow down your web experience because you'll be prompted to login and accept terms of services docs more frequently. There are good reasons to manage your cookies, but speeding up your computer isn't one.

Nov. 01 2010 12:12 PM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

@ LL producers - I dig the Elvis Costello reference in the title of today's show. The little details...

Nov. 01 2010 10:43 AM