Crafting with Amy Sedaris

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Amy Sedaris, America's most delightfully unconventional hostess, talks about the joys of crafting. Her new book Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People shows that crafting is pleasurable and constructive. It includes instructions for popular crafts and gifts: crab-claw clips, tinfoil balls, and crepe-paper moccasins, hints for getting inspired, and includes recipes for cooking your own edible crafts. She’ll also launch a listener craft contest!

Below are some projects from the book, for inspiration!

Amy Sedaris

What about the silly crafts? They don't even get a mention? LAME

Dec. 03 2010 12:35 PM
Kathleen from nyc

Can Leonard ask her why she made this book. I still don't get it?

Dec. 03 2010 12:29 PM
Kathleen from nyc

Thank you for that comment 'If someone made it I can fix it'.

Maybe our economy and landfills wouldn't be filled with 'made in China' labels.

Dec. 03 2010 12:25 PM
Wendy Rosen from Balitmore

Not sure whether Amy knew she was embarking on such a divisive journey... For 30 years I've watched thousands of highly skilled artisans succeed... And ten times that number attempt and fail... Aspiring to have a successful career as an artist is a credible and often tangible goal. Talking without action is what most hobbyists do. They underestimate the effort planning and investment required to succeed.
Www.americancraft.com

Nov. 23 2010 11:16 AM

Nicsam, here's my favourite baby food jar craft (even if you don;t celebrate Christmas):

OR, mini snow globes!

Nov. 09 2010 03:53 PM
Dammit from Heck

Dunno what is funnier - Amy Sedaris or the the humorless people who don't find Amy Sedaris funny.

Guess they are both "funny" in their own, special - but different - ways.

Nov. 07 2010 04:39 PM
Steve from North White Plains

To all of the offended crafts fanatics: Sorry you were offended, but this was humor.

Personally, I thought it was hilarious!

Nov. 05 2010 12:14 AM
Peggy Herron from Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, NY

Who selects the books for the show? I am assuming the book is a book of humor and not to be taken seriously. Is it really called "crafting for poor poeple"? I found Amy Sedaris truly offensive. I give Mr. Lopate credit for trying to conduct a good interview with her. But I am going to make his bead. Love you, Leonard.

Nov. 04 2010 08:30 PM
Robert Ambrose from New Jersey

Awful! How many times did I really need to be reminded that Amy isn't interested in crafts and while she may be busy smoking pot, there are other ways to keep herself busy at 3am. Selling 101: to sell your own book – tell everyone don't buy it.

I love NPR, and listen all the time, but this interview really threw me, did Amy pay to be on the show? It was such a wacky interview in its entirety

Nov. 04 2010 01:44 PM
Toni from Hopewell Junction

This show is just what I needed after Tuesday! Leonard and Amy both have the most genuine, hearty, infectious laughs. Crafting is a great way to use our mostly underused hands. Craft on!

Nov. 04 2010 12:41 PM
Ale Kenorwox from NYC

I LOVE the Jim Lahey bread - just this minute put one into the oven. Soexcited you like it.
I am using the rye version with rye flower from upsatet NY.
The book is "my bread" by Jim Lahey.

Nov. 04 2010 12:41 PM
Fiona

Ms Sedaris, does not sound very knowledgable about crafting or doesn't seem to actually make that much.

Nov. 04 2010 12:37 PM
susan from brooklyn

Intention of the multi-national manufacturing industry "shaming" people (can't you afford to buy it) into not crafting, sewing, knowing how to create and build things for themselves so people will buy more plastic junk from China. People are now deprived of working through a creative process which is essential for connectivity, self-esteem, self-sufficiency, etc...

Nov. 04 2010 12:37 PM
Steph from brooklyn

Leonard- what's the name of the bread recipe???

Nov. 04 2010 12:36 PM
Er-nay from USW

Did her friend Todd Oldham help her on this book?

Nov. 04 2010 12:30 PM
Jake from Ridgewood

My grandma saves the cotton from her prescription drugs for crafts.

Nov. 04 2010 12:28 PM
Nicholas from West village

I wish Leonard would comment on amys aesthetic because it is beautiful in a folk art, Americana way

Nov. 04 2010 12:27 PM

I like to make my own electrical cords by taking different colored plastic-coated wire and twisting it together and adding a plug. Besides the high-risk learning curve, once you get the hang of it, all of your exposed cords will look a lot better.

Nov. 04 2010 12:23 PM
Henry from Katonah

This is a very timely subject.
People (in the NY area at least) are not any lower income than they have been in the last 10 years. But after sucking all the equity out of their homes and spending it, they REALIZE how poor they are.
They need something - - aside from shopping - - to occupy their time.

Nov. 04 2010 12:20 PM
Betty Anne from UES

Can you ask Amy what her house really looks like? And if she could tell the window washing story.

Nov. 04 2010 12:16 PM
Patricia from FH

My mom used crafts in a very interesting way. She was very strict, didn't let me hang out with my friends. So anytime I would ask her to go out, she come up with a craft for us to do! Thanks to her, I learned how to embroider, crochet, macrame and sew!

Nov. 04 2010 12:16 PM
poor person from brooklyn (poor part)

If this was really for poor people wouldn't you skip the four color gloss interior and hardcover. I do not know anyone who is really poor that would spend $27.95 for a book.

Nov. 04 2010 12:15 PM
nicsam from UWS

I have a 9 month old baby and now have so many empty 4 oz. baby food jars. Could Amy suggest how I could use the jars in a craft? the only thing that I can think of is to use the jars as shot glass. Any ideas?

Nov. 04 2010 12:11 PM
Carola from Brooklyn

You guys seem to have missed the current craft revival movement! e.g. Etsy - craft is hip now!

Nov. 04 2010 12:11 PM