Celebrating Hollywood Legend Doris Day

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hollywood legend Doris Day, born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff, turned 89 years old this April. She's one of the few top-ranking female box office stars who is still alive to talk about what it was like to break into Hollywood in the 1940s, and she recently spent time talking about her life and career with WNYC music host Jonathan Schwartz. Day shares with Schwartz, among other anecdotes, how a car accident curtailed her stint as a dancer, why she turned down the lead in the movie "South Pacific" and the time Frank Sinatra came to her defense at a birthday party.

Day was born in 1922 in Cincinnati, Ohio to German-American parents. She began dancing at the age of 5, and never learned to play the piano, despite her father's insistence that she learn the keys. "I didn't practice because I was dancing," Day told Schwartz, adding that her father was an organist with a choir who people would travel from far and wide to hear sing. "I was either standing on my hands and practicing that, or going to dancing school. And he gave up on me."

Not learning the piano was a decision Day regretted at age 15, when a serious car accident curtailed her dancing career. She and her friends had been out dancing in Hamilton, Ohio, 30 miles from Cincinnati, and were headed back home when a train struck their car. The accident was so bad that Day's doctor nearly had to amputate her leg, and it changed her dancing career forever. But Day wasted no time in moving onto the next phase of her career. While she was convalescing, she got a vocal coach and two years later was singing with bandleaders Les Brown and Bob Crosby. "Everything fell into place in my life, what can I tell you?" Day said, although she admits to this day she still can't read sheet music. "I know from looking at it what it's going to sound like. I don't know what the notes are on the piano, but I can read it."

Day made her first major recording, "Sentimental Journey," when she was 23, and then sang and recorded more songs than she can remember — more than 650 of them — from standards to lighter fare. "Everything you do, you have to do your best, and make it sound as good as you can," she said. Later, when she moved to a house on Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills, Day remembers fondly rehearsing songs like "Give Me Time" with the pianist, conductor and composer André Previn.

Her favorites were the ballads, songs like "It's Magic" from her film debut and "My One and Only Love" from her Duet 1962 album with Previn. "If they said something, they moved me," Day said. Even though she had so many hits, including "Secret Love" in 1953 and "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be Will Be)" in 1956 (both won Academy Awards for Best Original Song), Day never knew it: "I never knew when I had a hit or when I didn't. Nobody ever mentioned it. I was never aware of things like that. I was so busy."

Day starred in her first film, Michael Curtiz's "Romance on the High Seas," in 1948. It took some convincing—including a fancy dinner from her agent—to get her to try out for the part. "I said, first of all, I'm not an actress. I've never acted," Day said. "And he might like my singing, but he has to find the actress first."

But Day got the part. From then on, she said that she learned to act by listening. "Romance on the High Seas" was one of nearly 40 films she would act in over the course of her life, including "Tea for Two," "Calamity Jane," "Young at Heart" with Frank Sinatra, "Love Me or Leave Me," Alfred Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (top right), and "Pillow Talk" (lower right), which she starred in with Rock Hudson.

Day also remembers meeting composers Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein at the Beverly Hills Hotel and discussing playing the lead in the film version of "South Pacific." She didn't end up getting that part because Mitzi Gaynor was eager to play the lead and would do it for less money. "It was meant to be," Day said.

She added that Frank Sinatra was a "very caring and very sweet" man on the set of "Young at Heart." At a party on the set, one of Sinatra's pals hurled a Kleenex box at Day (that she caught), and Sinatra escorted the man out of the building.

Day, who had four husbands and dated Ronald Reagan for a time, now lives in Carmel, California, and is an animal rights advocate. She had one son, Terry Melcher, who passed away in 2004, and she is referenced in songs by Wham! ("Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go!"), Billy Joel ("We Didn't Start The Fire"), The Beatles ("Dig It"), Elton John ("Wrap Her Up"), and Underworld ("Dirty Epic"), among others.

To hear these and other anecdotes from Doris Day herself, listen to Jonathan Schwartz's full interview above. Also, let us know your favorite Doris Day song, movie or memory by posting a comment below. While you're at it, check out our slideshow.

Day's hands and high heels are captured here in cement.
lorenabuena (by-nc-nd)/flickr
Day's hands and high heels are captured here in cement.
Portrait of Doris Day and Les Brown, Aquarium, New York, N.Y., ca. July 1946
Gottlieb, William P., 1917-, photographer./loc.gov
Portrait of Doris Day and Les Brown, Aquarium, New York, N.Y., ca. July 1946
Portrait of Doris Day and Kitty Kallen, Central Park, New York, N.Y., ca. Apr. 1947
Gottlieb, William P., 1917-, photographer./loc.gov
Doris Day waiting on the dock to greet the anti-aircraft cruiser U.S.S. Juneau on its recent return to Long Beach, Calif., May 1, 1951
US Army/US Federal Government/Wikipedia Commons
Doris Day waiting on the dock to greet the anti-aircraft cruiser USS Juneau on its recent return to Long Beach, Calif., May 1, 1951
Doris Day's 'Day by Day' album, out on Columbia Records on December 17, 1956.
kevindooley (by)/flickr
Doris Day's "Day by Day" album, out on Columbia Records on December 17, 1956.
Who wouldn't buy a Schwinn with Doris Day modeling it?
Wha'ppen (by-nc-sa)/flickr
Who wouldn't buy a Schwinn with Doris Day modeling it?
A Doris Day poster for her 1964 movie
Wha'ppen (by-nc-sa)/flickr
A Doris Day poster for her 1964 movie "Send Me No Flowers" with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall
A Doris Day fan portrait
hackett (by-nc-sa)/flickr
A Doris Day fan portrait

Tags:

More in:

Dominic Commisso from toronto canada

I think Doris Day was the best singer of her time I was twelve years old when I started following Her career,She was my idol,At 19 years old I took a trip to hollywood,to see my favourite singer ,I stayed there for 3 years I went beverly hills to see if I could get A glimpse of her at one the premier showings of different ,movies,one night I got lucky I was close enough to get an autograph.In 2010 I went to Carmel FROM Toronto canada.To go to her afternoon Teas,Only to find out she stopped appearing at them I was very disappointed but i still thinks shes the best.

Apr. 09 2013 12:12 PM
Dick

If some one wishes expert view regarding blogging after that i suggest him/her to pay a quick
visit this webpage, Keep up the nice work. Dick

Mar. 07 2013 05:38 AM
Vernell

Yes! Finally something about Herschel. Vernell

Mar. 07 2013 01:38 AM
Ally

We are so close! Help the Doris Day Animal Foundation win a much-needed grant from Chase Community Giving. Click on the link below to cast your vote:

Also, if you are a Chase account holder you can cast an additional vote by searching for "Doris Day Animal Foundation" at: www.ChaseGiving.com

Voting ends September 19 at 9pm ET.

Sep. 17 2012 03:42 PM

Response to Dying of Boredom and No Hurry:

This comment speaks volumes - not about our wonderful Jonathan Schwartz- the exquisite music that he shares with us and his brilliant presence and voice for great music we are so lucky to hear on the radio each week, but more about the apparent soullessness of the listener.

If he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it.

Oh well!

How sad for him, he is missing out on all the fun.
He must be living at Internet speed.

Love,
Martha

Aug. 15 2012 09:58 AM
George & Dottie Sprotte from Kalispell, MT

We remember Doris from way back when I would see her at the Warner Bros. lots working with Ray Heindorf. Now living in MT, we still get some of her songs on local radio and one of my favorites, is what she did with Andre Previn, called "Wait 'Til You Seem Him (Her)". A great recording and arrangement. Long live the lady.

George & Dottie Sprotte

Jul. 07 2012 03:01 PM
MARIA

The very first comment about Jonathan Swartz "Dying of Boredom from No Hurry" was the most ignorant thing I have every read. The dry cold crap he's referring to is the best music he will ever have the good fortune to hear. Obviously he has no ears to hear it otherwise he would be praising Jonathan's show. Sadly music hasn't increasingly gotten better, it's gone downhill. Thank God someone like Jonathan is keeping the flame burning.
I am a musician and singer and know what I'm talking about. Anyone who is a serious musician can technically tell you why the music Jonathan plays is far superior to anything you will hear on most radio stations today. It's not just a matter of opinion, it's a FACT!

Jun. 18 2012 02:17 PM
Dying of Boredom from No Hurry

I can't stand how WNYC takes the weekends off by throwing this old, dry crap on two days in a row every week. it's oppressive. for a radio station that delivers 5/7 days a week, this is just a joke. i once did an experiment with good old Johnny Schwartz to see how much time was literally wasted while he speaks. not during the songs he plays (which are 990% Frank Sinatra anyway. if you have a two-cd frank sinatra collection just throw that on repeat from saturday morning through sunday night. you can simulate WNYC that way.) but the experiment was just for when JS is opening his mouth and letting those archaic words fall onto his microphone like pudding. i took a chess timer and clicked it on for every single stretch of DEAD AIR between this guys words. he will literally hang there for 6-7 seconds sometimes IN BETWEEN words in the same sentence! Well, in one average hour of his programming, he wastes exactly 4.23 minutes! that's 4.23 minutes of actual SILENCE. if WNYC listeners had to sit through a 4.23 minute commercial on air, any time of day, they would be LIVID. i'm sure it would even affect support dollars.

this guy is like listening to an old antique baseball mitt that happens to spin frank sinatra songs every now and then. give it up! i dont care how long he's been on the air. you have a young growing populous to enchant in order to survive and thrive. why not spend SOME of the weekend vastness and emptiness playing something resemblant of living or interesting music. why do soundcheck and new sounds have to come on in the middle of the damn night? but johnathan scwartz gets the entire weekend. EVERY WEEKEND. it's like a pledge drive of silence and antique music EVERY SINGLE WEEK

Jun. 03 2012 03:00 PM

Can anyone identify the album from which the string quartet performance played 15 minutes before the end of this show was selected? I was too far from the radio to hear, and I can't find a playlist. Thanks!

May. 05 2012 04:14 PM
MP from Brooklyn

her phrasing and how she made the words hers in Swinging on a Star
was so cool. Can you tell me what recording that was?

May. 05 2012 02:41 PM
Doris from Clinton, Tn

I just wanted to say that I was told that he ran a cafe' bar in Cinn. Ohio I don't know that for sure. I do know that her uncle ran a bar in Cinn. Ohio. that she lived above for a while. Sorry, for any information that is not true! I just feel blessed to be named after her, she is a grand lady.

Apr. 04 2012 08:18 AM
Doris from Clinton, TN

I was names after Doris Day and my dad thought she was one of the most beautiful women alive. My dad knew her father he ran a cafe' Bar in Cinn. Ohio. I have always loved her, if I could have been or looked like anyone growning up it was her. She is one of my fondest memories. She sent me an autographed picture of Herself and(Honey her dog),it is hanging in my office and I treasure it. God Bless you Ms. Day! And thank you for the joy that you have brought to all of us. With sincere thoughts,
Doris Day-McBride

Apr. 03 2012 02:33 PM
Andrew Balfour from Livingston, Scotland.

Doris Day my first crush and always will be. To me she was talented, singing acting and dancing. I have to get my Doris Day fix every so often so put her movies on all day. Thanks for the article.

Mar. 10 2012 12:03 AM
p PEAK from Florida

I adore this lady.I discovered her when I was a 14 year old Bobby Soxer in the 40s.No television back then but my love of music kept me glued to radio.Her sweet ,pure, wholesome manner permeated the airways like a lark in its purest song. I was hooked and have followed her ever since.To this senior citizen she represents all that is singing in the finest way possible. I truly hope that she finds comfort and solace now in her aged years in the knowledge that she gave countless years of enjoyment to her many fans.I also love Barbra but Doris will remain in my memories and thoughts forever. She was and is my inspiration and first love.

Feb. 03 2012 03:14 PM
kendra from new jersey

my husband and i used to see rosemary clooney every valentine' day at rainbow and stars. one time when she was reminiscing about the great things in nyc when she first arrived in the late 40's she sighed, "...and hearing doris day singing a cappella in a club " - a memorable tribute from one legend to another. doris day is beautiful and gentle, a great singer, actress, dancer and comedienne and a self-less animal advocate. could she be any more?

Jan. 29 2012 02:06 PM
Peter Vitrano from NYC

I was very happy that I had the opportunity to listen to Jonathan's interview with Doris Day. I've like her ever since I was a child. I alway look forward to seeing her movies, and hearing her music.

Jan. 28 2012 04:07 PM
Bobbi Greenfield from NJ

Have loved Doris, her films and her silky singing since I was a tiny girl. Once, on vacation at a B&B in a beautiful period NH home with a lovely staircase, I fell into conversation with a Scotsman who was rather stiff. Somehow, we discovered our mutual love of Miss Day. That warmed the conversation considerably! Each imagined her skipping down that staircase sporting her trademark million-watt smile...Thank you, Jonathan for this interview and all the hours of pleasured listening you have given me.

Dec. 17 2011 03:18 PM
Dave Mannis from Queensbury NY

Doris became part of my DNA in 1959. Each night, as a young Marine in San Clemente CA, at 11 PM, I would fall asleep listening to KOB from Albuquerque NM. The DJ would start the show with "I Remember You". Imagine drifting off to her perfect reading of this perfect song. Thanks always to you Doris and Jonathan.

Nov. 07 2011 11:55 AM
Stephen Brickley from Yorkshire England

Thank You Jonathan.
If only the BBC would broadcast your shows.
Authoritative and passionate, a musical education.

Nov. 04 2011 11:22 AM
nancy tekulve from Columbus, Indiana

What a wonderful and coincitental treat! My friend, Judy Kinder, told me about this interview after I mentioned that I had been enjoying my favorite Doris Day movies on Netflix. There just aren't any today that even come close! Thank you, Doris, for so much great music and entertainment.

Oct. 01 2011 03:03 AM
Marion Baylis from Hordle UK

After hearing you on Radio 4 this morning we looked you up and found this wonderful interview. We are in our late seventies and my husband has fallen in love with you all over again ! I have ordered your new release CD My Heart as an inspiration to us both to enjoy our lives. Thank you for the happy years that you have given our generation. and Thank you Jonathan for a super sensitive interview.

Aug. 18 2011 05:14 AM
Ali Forootan from New Jersey by way of Iran

What a joy to hear Doris Day. I grew up in Iran during the Shah's regime. The Iranian National Television used to show the Doris Day Show dubbed in Farsi. Later when I moved to the US and learned more about Hitchcock, her music, and her personalilty, I fell in love with her all over again. Thank you Johnathan. And THANK YOU Doris Day for the wonderful music, great movies, and happy memories.

Aug. 17 2011 06:16 PM
alex from Brasil

Lady Doris: You are a national tresuary, great looks, beautiful voice, natural acting, a joy to to be heard of, i loved Midnight lace, i loved Sleepy lagoon, i love you all! I loved also a song from Pillow talk.. . My inspiration, but i can ´t find it anywhere. And may i say that you looked stunning in that long red dress during dinner in your last picture. You are a tomboy chic lady, lots of class and also an animal advocate. What ´s more? a warm hug, health, protection to you, i wish you the best, ciao, Alex

Jul. 27 2011 02:24 PM
Ruth Renwick from Hope, British Columbia, Canada

Like LSD in the 60"s, Doris opened the doors of perception when I was about 9, with Annie Get Your Gun..I am 65 and can still singalong to every word from that show..amazing..didnt quite adore the Rock Hudson and later schmaltz but always loved her. Her pursuit of the animal rights cause, makes me adore her even more..What a voice, even her speaking voice is so beautiufl!!

Jul. 25 2011 02:20 AM
Barb Kline from St. Louis, MO.

What a wonderful talent! As a kid growing up in St. Louis, I used to put on your records and sing and dance in front of a mirror, pretending to be you in whatever movie I had just seen. I had so many favorites, that it's impossible to list them all. But Send Me No Flowers with Rock Hudson & Tony Randal was on the top of the list!
You are and always will be my top female vocalist. Live long & healthy Doris!

Jul. 17 2011 11:29 PM
Lee from Hurst, Texas

What a talent, what a voice, more importantly, what a marvelous human being. There is no one like Doris Day. No one. I grew up in the 40s and 50s and have loved Doris ever since. Those years were the happiest of my life. Was usually the first one in the movie theatre when her movies came out. As a child I recall visualizing myself as Doris Day, playing all of her songs. I, too, grew up in a city just 50 miles from hers. Thank you so much, Jonathan Schwartz for this memorable interview with Doris Day. My life is now so much better for it.

Jul. 13 2011 01:25 PM
Leo De Bruyn from Grand Bend, Canada

I heard and enjoyed all of your recording while living in Antwerp Belgium. In the 50's moved to Canada and kept on listening to your music and enjoyed all of your movies. It's going to be a real thrill listening to your CD in Septamber. By then I'll be 78, ( just a kid eh)

Jun. 06 2011 09:13 AM
sherry boyenger totaro from layton'utah84041

i grew up listening to you.every piece you sang was effortless,all styles.you did everything !i always sang along with you.i have been a dancer all my life.eventually i began to sing .blues,jazz,ballads.irish etc .you were one of my first inspirations.thankyou and god for your gifts.i am from calif. and will be near the carmel area this year and thinking of you .you are beautiful in all you do.with love

Apr. 22 2011 05:40 PM
Roberta Manzitto-Collings from Sacramento, CA

Thank you for this wonderful gift of hearing Miss Day talk about her life! Miss Day remains the greatest role model for me and will remain so for as long as I live. My first recollection of Miss Day was at 4 years of age with my Aunty singing along with Miss Day's records--I grew up with her music as did my children and now my grandchildren! Four generations of our family have enjoyed her and will continue to enjoy her music for many many more years to come! Love you, Miss Day!

Apr. 06 2011 04:50 PM
James Glasser from Dallas, Texas

Johnathan you were so correct when you said that Doris sounds the same speaking as she does singing. I had the pleasure of listening to this wonderful interview while driving home from my 55th year high school class reunion. Doris was always such a joy to listen to and to view on the screen. I found the interview to be most interesting and would like to listen to it again as it was a joyful experience. Secret Love was a winner in 1956 and is still one of my favorites. I would like to thank you and Doris for the opportunity to hear this interview. The interview was too short just like my reunion! Doris will always be loved and may God Bless Her!!!

Apr. 05 2011 06:19 PM
Tony Imbimbo

even tho i grew up in the golden age of rock n' roll, Doris Day's Dream a little dream of me is still my favorite song. you can just hear her smile. Many Many more Happy Birthday's

Apr. 04 2011 02:59 PM
Gary Allen from NYC

Jonathan Schwartz
Thanks for the surprise Doris Day interview. She sounds as she always did.
This is the girl who had everything, Not only that golden voice,one of the finest actresses of all time, a beautiful face, and might add the most superb physical form
ever to grace a movie screen. As a young boy growing up in the 1950s Doris Day was MY SEACRET LOVE!

Apr. 04 2011 02:02 PM
J.G. Handelman from Annapolis Maryland

I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s. I had a mad crush on Doris Day. A beautiful woman with a beautiful voice, and a superb actress. The interview was wonderful. My favorite Doris Day movie was" Love Me Or Leave Me" with James Cagney...great acting and singing. Secret Love is my favorite Doris Day song. She was /is a terrific comediene. Her animal care work reflects her inner person. A wish her a long and happy life.

Apr. 03 2011 08:08 PM
Kenneth Smith

A great,but too brief interveiw.Please have more interveiws with Ms. Day..Thank you

Apr. 03 2011 06:35 PM
GD

Can this be made available as a podcast? It was when it first came on line back in Nov. I'd like to download and share with my mother.

Apr. 03 2011 05:31 PM
Dorothy Magnani from Queens, NY

My husband, daughter and I loved the interview. I have been a Doris Day fan since I was a teenager...she embodies the very best of images ...so hardworking....and she made the best of whatever was sent her way. I was surprised that she seemed so unaware of her fame, which make her seem so human and so likeable.
We've been listening to her songs a lot this last year - she is due for a more attention in the media. Nellie McKay singing her songs has brought her name to the fore....so we went out and bought the songs sung by Doris.

Apr. 03 2011 03:22 PM
Diane from NYC

just heard this interview for the third time and was delighted. How I wish Doris Day would record another album or do a cabaret show like Rosemary Clooney. Thanks for the re-brodcast. Happy Birthday to a real legend.

Apr. 03 2011 03:05 PM
Mary Dohn from Columbus, OH

How wonderful to hear a contmeporary Doris Day on the air today--on her 89th birthday. Thank you, Jonathan Schwartz, for this memorable interview. What a marvelous talent she is--a legendary singer, an actress who was a joy to watch in comedies, but who could also take on a dramatic role from time to time. I also admire her tireless work with abused and abandonned animals. Doris Day is a National Treasure!!

Apr. 03 2011 01:35 PM
Norbert from Buenos Aires . ARGENTINE

My dear lady:
I `m an argentine fan of your person, your talent, your life and you as a wonderful person.
My english is very poor but I want you to know that in my country you have been so beloved adn admired.
I knowto morrow is your bithday and I want to congratulate you
GOOD BLESS YOU, DEAR DORIS!
Norbert Vázquez Freijo

Apr. 02 2011 10:22 PM
Judy Kinder from Columbus, IN

Doris:

I so enjoyed your interview with Jonathan Swartz. You sound wonderful!!! I have enjoyed your music since I was 10 years old. I have all of your albums and even old 78's and scrapbooks. I just watched your TV special with Perry Como last night for about the 19th time.

I am a dog lover also. Keep up the good work.

Mar. 27 2011 01:25 PM
Michael McKenna from Centreville VA

I just had the pleasure of hearing this amazing interview with Doris Day. It is wonderful to hear her sounding so well, and sharing some insights into her life that have not been told before. She is truly one of the very greatest talents and one of the most beautiful performers of the entire 20th century. This is a woman who has brought nothing but pure joy and entertainment to countless millions of people since she was 16 years old or so. Doris Day excelled as a singer, a dramatic actress, a comedienne, a dancer, and a tireless activist for animal care and animal rights. Doris, you have always been one of the brightest parts of our lives - and we have all been truly blessed to be able to enjoy your work in music, film, television, and your vital work for animal welfare. I have something in common with SO much of the rest of the world - I love Doris Day! God bless you Clara Bixby!!

Mar. 05 2011 10:15 PM
Karen Anne Roy

I agree completely with the people who have suggested Ms. Day be awarded a "Life Achievement Award" while she is still on the planet to do so, and so that we, her fans. can give her the standing ovation she so deserves.

One of her many Canadian fans. If she ever comes to Canada, I will fly anywhere and pay any price to be able to meet her in person.

Mar. 02 2011 05:25 AM
Mike Sullivan from Overland Park, KS

Doris will be 89 in April. Several members of her fan club meet at the Cypress Inn in Carmel, California each year to celebrate her birthday. My partner and I are planning to go this year.

Feb. 26 2011 03:57 AM
Victor Magliacane from Brooklyn NY

I hane loved Doris day since her first movie "Romance on the high seas " when I was 9 or 10 . I am now 73 and still feel the same way . Is it true that Mike Nichols wanted her to be Mrs Robinson ? ( it would have been very interesting casting ( the girl next door lusting after her neighbor's son ) as opposed to Ann Bancroft's very neurtic interpretation.

Feb. 19 2011 10:45 AM
Martin from Ireland

What a wonderfull interview, I just love Doris Day and if I was asked what is my number one wish it would be to fly out to Carmel to meet her. She was a one off movie star and singer.

Feb. 16 2011 11:14 AM
suzy from Minnesota

Doris Day was the first idea I had, as a child, of what a "Movie Star" was. I guess because she was the top box office draw at the time.
I loved the sound of her singing voice and compared all others to hers when young.
I would watch any movie she was in. Although I was not a big fan of the musical genre-I was never disappointed by her performances.
I loved her in "Midnight Lace" and "the Man Who Knew to Much" and even in the movie "Julie". I wish she had a chance to do more like that. And I will stop and watch her comedies whenever I stumble upon one.
I think, for all the enjoyment she has given us on film, she should be recognized with an honorary Oscar. Maybe they have offered and she declined-but if that is not the case-it is a huge oversight on their part.
When in Carmel I kept my eyes open-she is one star I would have loved to have seen in person.

Feb. 08 2011 11:07 AM
carol Hollenbeck from new york city

this was a great experience listening to doris days
interview, what a legend... one of my best friends
is sheila macrae ,who of course knew doris for
years, sheila is now living at the actors fund home
in englewood n. jersey. i don t know if doris knows
that or not, carol hollenbeck

Jan. 26 2011 02:59 PM
Judy from Lincoln Nebraska

It is just a delight to hear this interview! . I just have to say that I love Doris Day and all of her movies. She has been an incredible inspiration to me personally. Her role as an interior decorator in Pillow Talk made me wish that I was one. Her personality on screen is the same as she is now in this interview....I love her laugh...she makes me smile. She is sooo classy compared to the actresses today. No compromising with Doris....I'm grateful for that!!! BTW...after I raised my boys....I did become an interior decorator! Thank you Doris for your great example of a Woman of Integrity. I'll always love you and your movies!!!

Jan. 19 2011 07:49 PM
Jack Ong from Santa Monica, CA

I have so many memories of Doris Day and how her music, films and interviews gave my life such joy and comfort since I was a kid in Arizona in the 40s and beyond! One particularly amazing experience was when I was serving in the US Navy during the Vietnam War. I was stationed at Subic Bay in the Philippines, and was in Manila on leave one sultry summer day. Had a huge headache, and so I took a rest upstairs at a friend's home. When I awoke, it was dark, and I could smell rice cakes baking in an alley oven...and my ears caught the beautifully familiar, magnificent sound of Doris singing "Quizas, Quizas, Quizas" from her "Latin for Lovers" album. LOVE and truly appreciate this radio interview of a world treasure. Doris Day is one of the most talented artists of all time, and it is so wonderful to hear her sounding so great today! If the lady wants to sing for us again, I'll pay whatever it takes to hear her! God bless Doris Day!

Jan. 02 2011 07:18 PM
David from Australia

Just wonderful to hear Doris and her recollections! As far as her films are concerned, my personal favourite is 'Love Me Or Leave Me' - includes a fine performance from Doris (as Ruth Etting), and jam-packed with so many fabulous songs. Favourite co-star was Gordon MacRae. Best song would have to be 'It's Magic'. No matter how many times I hear the recording it still gives me a thrill, and I just love Doris' rendition.

Dec. 29 2010 07:56 AM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Wagnerian heldentenor from www.WagnerOpera.com

DORIS DAY, you have made our days, speaking for myself, and I can assume many millions, your fresh All-American lovable personality with a wholesomeness that makes us all feel good about whatever might be happening in the real world. You are good medicine with your personality to inspire others to be optimistic even in these trying, otherwise, depressing days of conflicts and financial disparity.
Cheers to you and may you continue to do what pleases you for many more years. Kenneth Bennett Lane, Wagnerian heldentenor, opera composer: "Shakespeare" & "The Political Shakespeare" & director, the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute.
Website: WagnerOpera.com where one may download, free, 37 complete "Live from Carnegie Hall" selections that I have sung in four concerts, three of them three hours-long solo concerts and one a Joint Recital with the dramatic soprano Norma Jean Erdmann, in the main hall of Carnegie Hall, the Isaac Stern Auditorium, by opening up, downloading, from the "Recorded Selections" venue on the home page.

Dec. 27 2010 02:03 AM
Shadeed Ahmad from Shadeed Ahmad

I still love, Doris Day.

The beautiful memories of a golden and classic period of movies in America that Doris Day epitomizes were masterfully conjured up from the maternal grasp of the past by Jonathan Schwartz and gave reason to those of us who cherish those times to feel more relevance and blessedness about our lives.

I wish Doris Day could bottle her perpetual upbeat attitude about life for public consumption.

Doris' fantastic acting, dancing and singing abilities are well known. I was pleasantly surprised at how riveting Doris is while telling stories.

Doris is an international treasure. I think GOD broke the mold after making her.

Doris Day's life has been a brilliant and inspiring glimpse of Heaven for all blessed to have partaken of it.

In my humble opinion the interview by Jonathan Schwartz of Doris Day is one of the greatest of an entertainer ever.

Dec. 26 2010 03:54 AM
Hendle Rumbaut from Austin, Texas

Wow, what a great interview! Doris Day is amazing, and still sounds the same. I wanted to hear her talk about Frankie Laine. We need to hear her sing, and see her as well! She could make a comeback like Tony Bennett and a new generation could fall in love with her as we all have. God bless you, Doris! Thanks, Jonathan.

Dec. 22 2010 11:06 PM
Frank Russo from New Hartford NY

Thank you Jonathon for allowing us to hear this wonderful interview. A few years ago I asked her if she would sign some album covers of hers for me. She did and I have them displayed on one of my walls. I, also, taught film studies and used a few of her films in my courses over the years. The film my students loved the most was Pillow Talk, a favorite of mine,also.

Dec. 20 2010 03:03 PM
Jeffrey from Manhattan

I just listened to this for the second time, some months later. I am struck by how honest, open this incredible woman is, how completely part of her art she has always been. When she speaks of her career, she has wonder, gratitude, joy in her voice. (Ms. Day: "You know, Mom, I would work for nothing." Her mother: "Well don't go around saying that.") I agree that it wasn't just Doris's magnificent voice, but also her dramatic skills, that made up what amounts to a precious gift to the culture of the 20th Century. I remember watching The Man Who Knew Too Much as a teenager in the 80s. I was floored by her heartbreaking, top-notch performance. "It's wonderful if it's just fresh." Well, you still are, Ms. Day. Thank you, Mr. Schwartz, from the bottom of my heart, for this interview. "Give me Time," indeed! I'm thrilled life has given you time, Ms. Day, and that you came back to share yourself with us again in this amazing interview!

Dec. 19 2010 07:51 AM
Michael Meltzer

I was fifteen years old when Doris Day recorded "Secret Love" and I thought it was the most beautiful thing I ever heard. I had a pretty serious crush on her for a long time after that.
What a lovely person!! The world is a better place to live because Doris Day is in it.

Dec. 17 2010 03:36 AM
Russ kuzuhara from Chicago

My mom sang que Sera Sera to me when I was a little boy! What a Great person and Great talent. I love the work that she is doing for the animals as well! Love you Miss Day!

Dec. 08 2010 05:49 PM
David Reep from Kansas City

What a wonderful surprise to find this interview. I am laughing, smiling, loving each minute of listening to Doris.
I can hear in her voice that she is well and happy and she as always has made my day.Thanks so much to those who made this possible. It is a treasure as is Doris Day,I love you Doris.

Dec. 01 2010 03:36 PM
Larry DWYER from San Francisco

Jonathan, Thank you so much much for this wonderful interview!

How about asking Doris to do a book/podcast/CD in the form of an oral history of her years in big bands and Hollywood - the proceeds could help a lot of her animal friends!

Nov. 29 2010 01:47 PM
Carol Owens from CA...Hoosier at heart.

Doris, I first knew you were alive when I was about 8. Now that I am 72, I know we are both well on our journeys. I love you and want you to know you have lightened my heart and soul all these years. Blessings on you and all you love. Carol

Nov. 28 2010 10:32 PM
marty t

What an unbelievable interview...one only Jonathan could do. Ms. Day repeatedly stated she'd like to sing again. There are some great venues, such as 'Feinstein's At The Regency' in NYC, which would welcome her with open arms. Jonathan....please try to make this happen!

Nov. 27 2010 05:23 PM
Andrew from Dobbs Ferry

Hello Johnathan. Thankyou for this wonderful interview. I have been a fan of Ms. Days since I was a child. What a delight it is to hear her doing well. It made my day. Thankyou again...:-)

Nov. 27 2010 01:39 PM
Joyce Elwart from Tavares, Florida

Doris, you have always been and will always be my favorite actress and singer. I adored you from afar my entire life. My siblings teased me and said I was so like you, believing in the best of everyone.
Your songs and pictures and volunteer work inspired me for most of my childhood and adult life. I read your biography more then once. It was hard to believe your early life was so sad. You helped so many people see the better, purest part of life.
Your singing has always been and will continue to make people happy. My children know you are the best female musician and actress.
Thank you so much for everything you have done for me and many others. I feel blessed having you in my life.

Nov. 27 2010 12:43 PM
David Forbes from Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Thank you for making this interview available for the world. Doris Day seems pretty coherent to me, contrary to those tabloids.

~ david

Nov. 26 2010 11:56 PM
Anthony Alanis from Azusa, Ca.

Thank you for posting this interview. In hearing this interview, it took me back to the Doris Day Luncheon in 1987 and meeting my favorite girl! When she states in the interview, "Who would listen to my music now?", I don't think she realizes that she still has an impact on peoples lives through her music today. I know that I am not alone when I say I play her music all the time. Her voice lifts my spirit.

Nov. 26 2010 01:43 PM
tereza from Slovenia

Wonderful to hear my idol in live interview. I still listen her music every day and am so happy she's well.
How could she not listen to her beautiful singing?
She's perfect singer and actress, a sunny person and people and animal lover.

Thank you, dear Doris for all you are giving to us.

Nov. 22 2010 09:55 AM
Mary frim CT

Lovely lady! Lovely memories of her. Lovely interview!

Jonathan, thank you!
Mary :)*

Nov. 14 2010 12:42 PM
Dick Strauch from Boise, Idaho

88? No way! That magic voice is still there, the smile in it, the intimate warmth that has lit up hundreds of recordings over her lifetime. What I would give to hear her sing something, anything, with that lovely instrument -- I know it's still there. I grew up listening to it, and more recently have rediscovered its magnificence. Her April birthday interviews from the past two years can be heard via Youtube -- delightful! In the late 1940s, she recorded about ten duets with Buddy Clark -- find these and listen to them -- playful, romantic, and delicately done in the style that is uniquely Doris Day. Another piece, "David's Psalm" shows a range rarely experienced in most of her recordings. Finally, her very last "Love" album, has moments that move you to tears. She is indeed a national treasure -- hope she can accept that, and also hope that the motion picture folks recognize that and can get her in front of a camera for us just one more time to receive a lifetime achievement award!

Nov. 12 2010 11:26 PM
Mac

there is two movies I haven,t seen of doris day,caprice,starlift.

Nov. 11 2010 08:33 PM
Lei from San Dimas Ca.

Love Her! She sounds as sweet as ever...For her fans buy Doris Day/Golden Girl- great collection. I wish she would sing again.I also wonder why they haven't made a bio. pic. about her. Wonder who could play her?

Nov. 11 2010 07:09 PM
Carol from Georgia

I just loved listening to Doris in this interview. She sounds so great and happy. Doris is just an amazing lady who I have adored since I was 13. There's not another female singer that can sing a song like her. Her movies were fabulous as well as her tv series and her specials. What a delight to hear her on the radio. Thank you too for all your animal work and your foundation. God Bless you Doris...you are an angel and I love you.

Nov. 10 2010 06:21 PM

Hi Liberty8,

Here's what Jonathan played:

1. "You, My Love," Doris Day & Frank Sinatra
‪2. "Secret Love,"‬ Doris Day
‪3. "Give Me Time,"‬ Doris Day
‪4. "Let's Take A Walk Around The Block,"‬ Doris Day

Nov. 10 2010 01:39 PM
Greg Coen from Plainfield, NJ

I forgot to mention that one of the most vivid early memories I have from my life was visiting Radio City Music Hall in 1963 when I was 4 years old. The movie was The Thrill of It All and I can still see in my mind the huge auditorium with all of the people around me laughing as Doris fell into a bushel basket of tomatoes.She's been a part of my life from as early as I can remember. Thanks for always being there.

Nov. 09 2010 02:09 PM
Greg Coen from Plainfield, NJ

I also would like to comment on the wonderful interview with Doris Day. I always listen to Jonathan Schwartz when I'm in the car on the weekend. I was nearly home when I heard the beginning of the interview and couldn't believe she was really on the radio.

I didn't know it would last an hour and ended up sitting in my car in the driveway until it ended, afraid I might miss some of it.

She's really a treasure of a person who has given so much happiness to the world for a long time and I hope she knows that.

Her talent from the earliest records with Les Brown all the way to the latest days of her career is astounding. There really is nobody like that anymore. We love you Doris!!

Nov. 09 2010 01:56 PM
liberty8 from ny ny

Any chance we can get a list of the songs played during this interview?

Nov. 08 2010 04:42 PM
Donald Clarke from Allentown PA

Paul Weston told me that he thought Doris never knew what a good singer she was.

Nov. 08 2010 10:54 AM
Mike from Wiltshire, England

How lucky can a bloke have been! At 75 I feel so lucky to have had Doris "with me" for the best part of my life. And so many future generations are going to be blessed with hearing her voice too. Lucky them!

Nov. 08 2010 06:37 AM

Great interview,Doris has been my favourite singer and actress since i saw 'Romance on the High Seas' way back in 1954,it was a big hit in the U.K and here in New Zealand.
What's great about her is her modesty and her kindness to others

Nov. 07 2010 10:33 PM
robert joseph sampson from brighton massachusetts

How wonderful to hear that glorious speaking voice agin. I have many of her records but not nearly enough of them. if only the female singers of today had such a voice ,such beauty,such class. she makes you feel that she is someone you would want to know as a friend. i have seen and fortunately own many of her movies. Thank you Doris Day for adding such joy to my life.

Nov. 07 2010 03:58 PM
gloria aberle from camrose alberta canada

i remember as a kid going to see "whip crack away" and that song was the greatest for me at that time.I saw that movie many times but all I remember now at age 65 is the song.I listened to the broadcast and it brought me to tears,your music is so beautiful.I went to San Francisco last year and we took the pacific coast tour and were in Carmel for a short time,I looked at everyone hoping that you might be out shopping.It is just as well I would have been a blubbering idiot if i had seen you.Just so you know that you put dreams in a little girls mind that helped her through her days. thank you

Nov. 07 2010 12:06 PM
Lisa from California

I adore Doris Day and have for many years. I can remember being a kid and getting in trouble... my punishment was that I couldn't watch "Lover Come Back" which was going to be on tv that afternoon. I cried and cried like I'd never cried before. I was probably about 8 years old. When I was 15, I sent her a fan letter and I got the sweetest autographed photo from Doris and her doggie, Biggest, who had signed his name too. ;)
I'm 39 now and am proudly passing on the love of Doris Day to my 2 year old daughter. She loves to sing and dance to Doris' music and it means so much more to me than when she bops around to Lady Gaga. ;)

So happy to hear this wonderful interview after all these years. I know, for the most part, Doris keeps out of the public eye. But I hope she knows how many of us are out there who love and appreciate all that she's given to the world. Her beautiful voice, her charming movies, her admirable dedication to animals.... she's just an all-around great human being.

Hugs and thanks to you, Doris. Your warmth, humor and candor are a joy to hear.

Nov. 06 2010 06:44 PM
Barth from Harriman, NY

Good interview and all of that, but, odd, how no mention was made of Nellie McKay's tribute album, which was great. I would have liked to hear what she thought about it, and about Nellie.

Nov. 06 2010 02:28 PM
Jim Smith from Kearny, NJ

Doris Day is an American Treasure. I cannot think of too many female singers who both had hit records and hit movies back in the 50's and up to this present time. She was always a woman with personality plus and a smile that would like light up anyone's heart. God Bless You, Doris. You are a fine lady, indeed.

Nov. 06 2010 11:55 AM
ALLEN POLLOCK from PLYMOUTH.UK

Great to hear you Doris! Loved your reminicences about your career coming from you personally and not via some hack writer out to make a buck!

Please do some more!

Nov. 06 2010 05:52 AM
Donald from Philadelphia

Wonderful interview. Love the opening song clip. What a voice! Thanks so much.

Nov. 04 2010 10:01 PM
Kimberly Lindbergs from California

Wonderful interview! Doris sounds great and she seems like such a sweet, genuine and thoughtful person. I would love to listen to her chat more about her career. I hope she talks to you again.

Nov. 04 2010 09:39 PM
Lynn from Rugeley England

Wow! thought I had missed out - planned to listen in on Sunday and my alarm never went off to remind me! So glad there I managed to plug in and hear this. Doris is an Icon.
She sounds great, happy and still bright as a button like in her movies.
Went to Carmel once thought I saw her car D Day 1 - so disapointed when it wasnt her.

I drive my friends crazy with Doris music, I think she is FAB. Go Doris!!

Nov. 04 2010 07:11 PM
Brenda from Oklahoma

I loved the interview and wonder why no one has asked for her to do commentaries on her movies. I love listening to stories about films by the people involved. It would be so much fun to listen to her stories about filming with Rock Hudson, Ronald Reagan, Gordon McRae, etc. She is a national treasure that has been neglected way too long.

Nov. 04 2010 05:47 PM
Emily Shane from Knoxville, TN

I discovered Doris back in my teens when I listened to my parents' 7-inch vinyl LP - the one with "I'm Confessin'" and "You're My Thrill" on it. I was instantly hooked and have loved her ever since. Such a class act! And a generous heart that shows through in everything she does. Thank you Doris for all the great memories!

Nov. 04 2010 01:34 PM
Nathalie.L from Quebec,Canada

Your voice as'nt change at all , what a gift to hear from you again! I've been looking for that for so long, a big thanks to M. Schwartz. I don't care if you got older you are so miss by the fans, just hope that one day we see you one more time on a tv intervew. I know you turn the page on this part of your life. You so humble of youself! I always loved you for your energy . Theyrs two actresses who I admire for that kind of energy it was you and Julie Andrews .I always liked be surrounded by peoples who've got big energy they let betters and merorables souvenirs. Still often have that Que sera sera in my head. I am a happy fans today thanks a lot miss Kappelhoff.

Nov. 04 2010 11:32 AM
puck from Netherland

I adore Miss Day, this interview was really great, she did talk a lot, wow, glad to hear she is happy and well and enjoying living, taking care for her self. She is wonderful. She 's my inspiration, she still give me a lot of joy, she is the best ever actress and singer in the world, and now animal advocate. she is the best !!!
Thank you so much.

Nov. 04 2010 10:16 AM
johan deye from cape cod

no mention, of "love me or leave me"............i'm shocked.....

Nov. 03 2010 07:05 PM
ken denhard from alamo, california

great interview! I loved just hearing the real Doris uninterrupted. Someone like her has so much to say that is relevant. I was looking forward to this for many days and now that it has passed I yearn for more. Doris, if somehow you read this, one dream of mine would be to someday meet you. Please share more with us if I may be so bold.

Nov. 03 2010 12:05 AM
Jeni from Vancouver Island, BC

Miss Day is just so lovely. I am a huge fan of her work and her joyful, optimistic attitude. I really enjoyed listening. Thank you :)

Nov. 02 2010 11:50 PM
Dean Sidden from Winston Salem NC

I love this interview! If I could meet one living legend...it would be Doris Day! Her voice still sounds the same!

Nov. 02 2010 11:02 PM
Denise from West Orange, NJ

She was utterly delightful. At the end, when she was bidding farewell, I found myself almost in tears - she sounded so sweet and dear and present - as if she was in the room with me as I was cleaning out my basement!

Nov. 02 2010 10:40 PM
Craig from Florida

I absolutely love Doris Day, as my friend said, "who DOESN'T love Doris Day?"!

She sounds so amazing, so warm and friendly. I could have listened to her for hours. Thanks for the wonderful interview Jonathan. Hope you take her up on her offer and have her on more often.

Nov. 02 2010 08:52 PM
JAIME VERMEULEN from Beaver, Pa

Great interview I wish I could embed it on my lucy site but the code isn't working ! :0(

jaime

of www.ilovelucy.ning.com

Nov. 02 2010 06:57 PM
David Mcgrath from Hollywood

This is pure joy. Great to hear her sounding strong and happy. She gave herself to music, men, and movies but seems to have found the deepest satisfaction from being instrumental in the lives of so many animals. You cant think about her without feeling good. Thanks so much for sharing your current life with the so many that feel such affection for you.

Nov. 02 2010 05:34 PM
jane Gennaro from New York

Doris Day's speaking voice sounds exactly as it did in her movies. It's hard to believe she
is 88 years old. Despite, her bought with Bronchitus and her perfectionism, it's time
for her to sing again. Like Betty White, she
will be embraced by a whole new generation.

Nov. 02 2010 04:23 PM
Donna Peart from Nova Scotia, Canada

Doris, I don't know if you realize how much you are still loved and by so many people. All my friends and family know of how much I have idolized you my entire life!Please don't sing just for yourself as we all would love to hear from you again. I listen to your songs alot especially when I need to unwind. Thank you also for all your hard work in looking after our dear little furry friends!

Nov. 02 2010 02:17 PM
Melissa from Washington, DC

~
She still sounds exactly the same. How interesting that she never studied acting but created her own approach that worked so well.

I always suspected that she was not playing a character but really just being herself. Now we know that she was being herself and "listening very, very carefully."

Of course, Mr. Schwartz is a wonderful interviewer. We could feel how much he loves her too.

~

Nov. 02 2010 10:12 AM
Daniel from Canton, Ohio

Thank you, Jonathan for limiting your questions and allowing Doris to just talk. This interview was like an early Christmas present to her millions of fans around the world. Doris, you sounded wonderful, we love you, stay in good health, and please talk to us again soon.

Nov. 02 2010 09:55 AM
Ron Russell from Boca raton FL.

Doris, after I interviewed Kay Ballard on my TV talk show. When we went off camera we spoke all about you. Kay said that you are the best friend anyone could ever ask for. You help people and love people. She went on and on about you. I'm so sorry you will not be on my show. I fully understand. You created Doris Day and you want to be remembered only that way. I agree. I wish you health and to get better as fast as you can. You have a song to sing and your race is not over. Ron Russell

Nov. 02 2010 08:07 AM
Edmond Forsyth from Los Angeles

It's amazing to think that Doris was hesitant to "act" because I think she was one of the most natural actresses of her day. Her delivery is so real on some of her lines that it's easy to take them for granted. She was especially good in scenes with kids (PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES is a good example). And I think the same is true of her singing.

Nov. 02 2010 03:00 AM
Louis from California

What a wonderful interview. I am a voice coach in California, and have been a huge fan of Dodo since I first discovered her in the Warner Bros. musicals. (I was 7) Later I discovered she could really act too, and I've enjoyed all her movies ( "Julie" , however, is a bit of an overwrought dog). And of course, she is arguably the finest female singer of the twentieth century (the male counterpart being Frank UnoWho.
In my coaching,I use her recordings as examples for my students, as the finest example (in popular singing) in support, diction, and phrasing.
I so much admire her indomitable spirit after all she's been through.
How about a lifetime achievement Oscar?

Nov. 02 2010 02:21 AM
Patricia from Vancouver, B.C., Canada

How cool is it to hear Doris talk about iPods?

She sounds great in this interview.

Rock on, Doris!

Nov. 01 2010 10:59 PM
Judy

I have so loved Doris day . from the first time I saw her in a movie pillow talk. and I read her autobigrapy she wrote also.. great book.. I wish I still had it but got lost in my moves.. love this converstaion with this guy.. love her.. she seems so great . and her kay serray song was the greatest.. thanks for sending on over the internet it is the greatest..

Nov. 01 2010 06:34 PM
Jacqueline from Lake Tahoe Nevada

Wonderful listening to the voice of the lady I admired so growing up! Friends used to say my voice sounded like yours when I sang...what a compliment! GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU DEAR ONE
Jacqueline Brown

Nov. 01 2010 05:07 PM
Annie from Harrison Hot Springs, B.C. Canada

What a wonderful interview!! So happy to hear your voice and you sound just wonderful.
We are so blessed to be able to enjoy your music and movies whenever we wish!
I'll be looking forward to your next interview!!

Nov. 01 2010 03:42 PM
alfie from northern ireland

terrific interview with a star who has no equals.
Still retains her girl next door personality and that chuckle she has gives me goosebumps

Nov. 01 2010 03:28 PM
Lorraine from Canada

Was so happy to listen to the interview, she is one of my all time favourite actresses, animal activist and she is just a wonderful person.

Nov. 01 2010 03:23 PM
Judi from Phoenix, AZ

Dear Doris Day,
You, yes you is my all time most admired people in Hollywood. I have loved your movies, your songs, and what you are doing for animals.

Thank you, for giving so much of yourself to everyone. God Bless you.

Nov. 01 2010 03:22 PM
Deb Loucks from Austin, Texas

What a marvelous interview! Doris Day is an icon not just in show business but in her pursuit for justice of animal treatment! I have loved her since I was a little girl and she and my mom are exactly the same age and my mom introduced me to her music when "I was just a little girl....". She is as sharp as a tack and I am so thankful her wonderful works are still alive today. I have all her movies and many of her old albums as well as a couple of autographed pictures that my husband and daughters got for me. SO-----what a treat to hear her voice as it is today (still the same!) In the Loucks house of girls---We love Doris Day!!!!!

Nov. 01 2010 02:40 PM
Angela Campbell from Austin Texas

What a wonderful interview Doris and Mr Schwartz. I cannot think of any movie star that equals you Doris or any singer either.I have been a fan of yours for over 55 years.Long may you enjoy many more birthdays God Bless you Doris.

Nov. 01 2010 12:50 PM
carol ness erickson from Puyallup, WA

I love this interview.....I have wanted to see Doris Day in person for many years because she has been a favorite of mine forever. I loved Sentimental Journey and all of her hit songs. She had such a natural talent. I love her laugh even now hearing this interview. Thank you Doris for the joy you have brought to many people and also for your love of animals. God bless you Doris and continue to live a wonderful life! a big fan of yours! Carol erickson

Nov. 01 2010 11:47 AM
Nada from Slovenia

Dear Doris, you are so loved, hope you feel it and are proud of yourself about all you did and still doing. We, your fans and friends hope to hear you talking on the radio soon again. We would like to hear more about your "radio years" and ask you so many questions about. We know much more about recordings, movies and TV shows but not enough about radio shows from 1947 - 1953 and can buy only a few. Are they lost?
THANK YOU for all your work, you are ONE AND ONLY DORIS. We love you.

Thanks to Mr Schwartz and WNYC!

Nov. 01 2010 11:22 AM
Mary Cae

What a wonderful interview - I felt like I was sitting in comfortable living room with Doris Day and Johnathan Schwartz - having a lovely conversation with an old friend. She recently sent me a personally signed autograph - what a lovely person she is - I framed it over my piano - very very special to me.

Nov. 01 2010 10:36 AM
Debbie from Hamburg, New York

Just finished listening to the Doris Day Interview and loved it.She sounds absolutly terrific and truly wonderful. It was great to hear her in such good spirits and good health. Sure hope that boxed set of music becomes a reality. Love her music and films.Would sure love to hear her sing once again. That would truly be a gift from heaven. God Bless you MIss Day and thank you Mr Schwartz for a great interview.

Nov. 01 2010 09:57 AM
Veronica H earst from Ireland

Unforgetable Doris Day,a legend.

Nov. 01 2010 08:58 AM
robyn skaar from Australia

Wow, what a fabulous interview - so entertaining and what a great insight of Doris as she is now - such a great. talented and modest lady and didn't she sound terrific!!
Love you Doris - you're the best - I have been a fan or 'friend' as you like to call us for many many years. Very best of health and happiness to you always.

Nov. 01 2010 07:11 AM
Brenda Rabe from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Lovely inteview. What a pity Ms Day is so dismissive of the wonderful Bear Family tribute. There are four box sets with beautiful accompanying books. Absolutely no need for Columbia to do anything. Terry Melcher writing to Mr. R. Weize, ""Thank you for all the hard work that must have gone into the creation of this wonderful package." Hear hear, a very treasured collection.

Nov. 01 2010 04:31 AM
Renona Browning from Hartford, KY

Just listening to Ms. Day transports me back to all of those magical moments during my childhood and young adulthood when while watching her movies and listening to her perfect voice I could escape to a perfect world, and know that life could be beautiful and wonderful. Thank you Doris for so many wonderful memories. In listening to you today, you still have that power over me! I love you!

Nov. 01 2010 03:53 AM
Hana Morkusova from Czech Republic

Thank you for such wonderful interview. Doris Day is such easy to love, she is just great and simply the best. I intercede for another and longer interview
with this lovely lady. I could listening her hours and hours. She is so inspiring for all of us especialy in this over-technical world we need more often ideals like Ms. Doris is - lovely, gentle and warmhearted.

Nov. 01 2010 03:11 AM
Doris fan

Thank you Jonathan for doing this wonderful hour. She really opened up to you.

Nov. 01 2010 02:46 AM
Ruth Conklin from Denver, Co

Doris Day is my all time favorite actor/singer. I have been a Doris Day fan the first time my dad played her music. I have seen every movie she has made, except for the Trumpet Player and maybe the Tunnel of Love. My favorite movie is the one with Richard Harris. I use to have a signed picture of Doris, a friend of mine got it for me one year for my birthday, my friend use to deliver her newspapers on the weekend. If I had just one dream It would be to meet Doris Day. Its about time that the entertainment industary realizes that Doris Day is so much more than a Icon. She is real beatiful and so very talented. Here's to you Doris.
With much love and respect always.
Ruth Conklin

Nov. 01 2010 02:20 AM
Sue Baker from Laguna Niguel, CA

I agree...hands down her best album was w/Andre Previn. Super interview. Have her on more often.

Oct. 31 2010 11:38 PM
Mitch Lebe from New York, NY

Thank Doris and Johnathan. You have brought such joy to me over the years. No one brings such emotion to a lyric than you Doris. And no one presents that music in such a caring environment than Johnathan. What a wonderful interview. What a great attitude. Do the best you can. Thank you Doris Day for your body or work, your caring for animals and for your positive inspirational attitude. Thank you both. Good health and lots of love now and in the future.

Oct. 31 2010 11:22 PM
Velda Lulic from Mintreal

This was an entertaining and wonderful interview with Doris Day. She sounded happy and healthy. Thank you Mr. Schwartz for inviting one of the greatest singer/actresses , ever. Hopefully she'll come on your show again. There are many Doris Day fans and we'll be listening. I like Shangai, as well, and my favorite DD movie is Pillow Talk.

Oct. 31 2010 10:28 PM
Sean from New York, NY 10011

This is remarkable. Loved every drop. Get her in the public "eye," please. Precious, precious. This is so beyond my generation. i love all music. This hits me as just remarkable. There were many who sang these tunes. She had such a great style. She is an American icon. he had such a different life from her contemporaries, Billie Holiday, Anita O'Day, just to name a few.

Thank you so much for this. During the broadcast I had to leave for brunch in the middle of the interview. Lucid. Informative. Brilliant. My mouth is open for more. Please keep her alive for many more generations.

Oct. 31 2010 09:50 PM
Mike DeVita from Baltimore,MD

How about an all day interview with Doris? She has so much more to share and so many who would love to hear it.

Oct. 31 2010 07:45 PM
Mary Foran from Ireland

Doris Day is one of the greatest artists that ever lived. Her voice is quite simply magical. My mother passed on the joy that is the entertainer Doris Day to me. Sadly my mother passed away in 2001 from cancer but to this day I feel even closer to her everytime I hear her voice. I am 30 years and I absolutely love her, nothing compares to the sheer brilliance that is Doris Day, she is amazing, a brilliant actress and singer. I love quality entertainment and I really think there is nothing but rubbish when it comes to entertainment nowadays. I will pass on the wonderfulness that is Doris Day to my children, so far I have started with my niece, singing her Doris Day songs to lull her to sleep and she loves them. :) Thank you Doris for your brilliance!

Oct. 31 2010 06:43 PM
Kathy Fitzgerald from North Carolina

Loved this interview...she sounds like a young girl and has such a real honest down to earth personality.

Fifteen years ago I moved to Tokyo, Japan for my husbands career. The first week I felt as if I had landed on Mars. I will never forget the day I was coming out of a store and a car with a large megaphone crusing down the street was belting out....one Doris Day song after another. I knew I was not on Mars then......

Oct. 31 2010 06:43 PM
Ian Harries from England

I loved this interview. I have adored Doris Day for what seems like forever! She has been a positive icon for the world and a perfect ambassadress for her country. I always think of her as America's gift to the rest of us - a totally unique woman, amazingly gifted. She radiates honesty and integrity like no other singer or actress I can think of. Her work with and for animals is exemplary. I cannot think of an award that would be adequate for her! Someone should invent one! Just love her.

Oct. 31 2010 06:13 PM
Antonette Ferguson from Fullerton, CA

Even though the calendar says it Oct. 31, it sure feels like Christmas Day! Thank you Doris and Jonathan for collaborating on this radio interview.

Oct. 31 2010 05:59 PM
Buff Garrison

Loved listening to you Doris your stories are so interesting and I enjoyed them all. You are my favorite, I admire you and all your work with animals. I hope they do come out with a set of your music,they are like songs from heaven (beautiful). Love to you. Buff

Oct. 31 2010 05:57 PM
Cathy McLeod from Grand Rapids, Mi

Thank you, so much, for keeping Doris' name in public view...she is so under-appreciated. I have loved her voice since 1953 when I first hear If I Give My Heart To You on the radio...I was 10. It just resonates with me to this day. I have most of her records, seen all of her movies many times and the tv shows and am priviliged to have met her 10 years ago at the Cypress Inn where she sat with us for a couple of hours, bought us drinks and relayed some of the stories to us there. She is wonderful!

Oct. 31 2010 05:24 PM
Linda Starr - Texas

Thank you Mr. Schwartz. I just love Doris Day, music and movies. She is a lovely woman. I hope she knows how much joy she has brought into our lives!

Oct. 31 2010 05:15 PM
montserrat from ENGLAND

what a wonderful person our Doris is...she has made me sooooo happy...Thank you DORIS mm

Oct. 31 2010 05:06 PM
Sandy from California

What a wonderful interview! It was so good to know you are well. Just wish we could see you now and then. I know it's hard to "age gracefully" in this cosmetically enhanced world and especially in the entertainment business, but you have earned the right to just be Doris. You are an amazing and beautiful person and I have loved you since my first Doris Day paperdolls. I watch your movies with a dear cousin of mine and we send you love and kudos for all you do for animals.

Oct. 31 2010 04:27 PM
Lesa from Texas

Oh my....what can I say? Doris, you are my absolute favorite! I love every one of the movies you made and what a voice! I love Secret Love!
It is so wonderful to hear your voice today and know that you are doing well.
I do hope to hear more from you in the future.
Many wishes for many years of good health to you.

Oct. 31 2010 04:24 PM
Renee'

So happy to hear this interview with Doris.
Thank you Doris. So glad to hear you are doing well. Miss seeing you on TV. You have been my favorite actress and singer since I was a little girl. Stay well and happy. Love you.

Oct. 31 2010 04:21 PM
robin mccampbell

I just loved the interview with Doris Day.. she sounds just like she did when she was bringing such joy to the world and I believe in her heart she was honestly so innocent about how much she meant to fans everywhere.. I just love her. I grew up watching her movies and listening to her beautiful voice and have raised my kids to do the same. I have tried to find and buy all of Doris's movies and have a ton of her music and honestly enjoy watching over and over.. I have to say I am so happy that God gave us the opportunity to be able to enjoy her wonderful work. She is one of the people I have always listed as someone I most admire and would love to meet. She is my very favorite female actress of all time and she doesnt even know how much she has meant to so many.. Doris.. we love you!!! Thank You!

Oct. 31 2010 03:56 PM
Gloria from Florida

Loved the interview. Thank you so much. Doris sounded just the same. I became a Doris Day fan 55 years ago and still love her. My husband couldn't believe that, that was a recent interview. Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear a new song from her.

Oct. 31 2010 03:47 PM
Doug Travis from Indiana

What a treat to hear this interview.
Doris Day is such an easy one to love.

Oct. 31 2010 03:37 PM

Hi Stooz,

Glad you liked the Schwartz-Day interview! If you missed any part of it, you can listen to the full interview here. Just click the red arrow at the top of the page above!

Oct. 31 2010 03:36 PM
Vaughn from Dallas

An awesome interview! I've been a radical fan since 1946 (Sentimental Journey) and am very pleased that this is the best radio interview with her I've ever heard. Her voice sounds good....much better, clearer, stronger, than on her last two birthday interviews from Carmel. And, of course, very alert and "with it"! Special thanks to the producers who put this together. We can't wait for her new CD release in the spring!

Oct. 31 2010 03:26 PM
John Hill from Ohio

Thank you, dear Doris for lighting up alot of lives today in speaking with Jonathan. If you think no one cares or remembers you- think again! If I am blue, or down or just having a bad day, I slip in a Doris Day Album or movie and feel better from doing it! Best medicine I can think of! Good health to you my dear!

Oct. 31 2010 03:22 PM

Thank you, Doris, for this terrific interview. I have idolized you from the moment I saw you in "Pillow Talk" when it was first released. I must have been about 5 years old at the time. I have followed your career and life story ever since. Like you, I'm a Cincinnati gal and animal lover, as well. My passion is music and singing...and you have so much to do with that. Your songs are a huge part of my life, and I have all your movies and your TV series, too. Thank you for being my inspiration for more than 50 years. Be well and happy for many years to come. Susan Doucleff

Oct. 31 2010 03:18 PM
Stooz from Florida

They broke the mold after Doris Day came into our lives and brightened the world around her. As a lifelong fan I missed half of Jonathans' deft interview. Heard the same half Sunday after unexpectedly finding the "repeat-broadcast" available on WNYC.org. (Previously "The Jonathan Schwartz Show" was not on the Website Sundays.) How about posting a Podcast of the interview on the WNYC Website for everyone to share with many, many of their friends who are all part of the huge Doris Day Fan-base.

If Doris knows there are gazillions of us around the world who still adore her and are dying to see and hear her again, perhaps she can be induced to accept a Life-time Achievement Award from an appropriate entertainment organization ( SAG, AFTRA, AFI AFM, etc, etc) in recognition of her record-breaking career in all phases of "The 'Biz"

She is one-of-kind.........still !

Oct. 31 2010 03:15 PM
Joe from venice, florida

Kudos to Jonathan Schwartz for his fond interview with Doris Day. She seemed to really want to talk! She revealed details about her father and the train crash which shattered her leg that I've never read or heard about before.

I enjoyed the interview, the song selections and the knowledge that Doris is keepin' on keepin' on in Carmel Valley, CA.

Oct. 31 2010 03:13 PM
Dianne from St Louis

I really enjoyed hearing Doris speak with you. She is truly a nonsuch: supurb singer and actress who has been much overlooked as a first-rate American star.

Please schedule a second interview with her as there is so much more to hear from this American treasure.

Oct. 31 2010 03:09 PM
Doreen aka "Doris" from Fullerton, Ca.

What an absolute thrill to share the afternoon with Doris! She is magical, inspiring and contageous, an honor to share in the same lifetime. "Move Over Darling" always is delightful as are all of the records I inherited from my dad, James was, a true DD fan! Thank you for all you have don and continue to do. Love Always, this "Doris"

Oct. 31 2010 03:07 PM
Bobbie Sue from South Carolina

Doris, thank you so much for doing the radio interview. You still have so many fans out here that love you and never get
tired of watching your movies and listening to your singing. We all love you very much.

Bobbie Sue

Oct. 31 2010 03:03 PM
Toby Sikora from Los Altos, CA.

Just listening to Doris's voice made me feel so good--it takes me way back--as a child I used to sing her songs as I walked home from school. I have seen every movie she made. Thank you Jonathon for this wonderful interview.

Oct. 31 2010 03:01 PM
Roberta R from New Milford, NJ

I enjoyed listening to the interview with Doris Day. She is so wonderful not only as a singer and actress but as a person. She is very interesting! I hope there will be more interviews with Doris Day.
I would love to see more of her movies show on tv and also, I would love to see her weekly tv shows brought back on tv. Doris, you're the best !

Oct. 31 2010 02:55 PM
Karen Severino from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Jonathan, thank you for a great interview with Doris Day. She is a very special person, as well as an enormous talent in every area of the entertainment business. It always amazes me, that this woman who never was taught to act, nor can she read a note of music, can do what she did and then, did it so damn well!!! She has truly blessed the lives of her fans. She is the eptiome of class and grace. As you said, how lucky we are to have had her talent in our lifetime. I simply just love her and all she has done for us and the animals.

Oct. 31 2010 02:55 PM
peggy from st.paul mn

enjoyed very much. i have been a Doris Day fan for ever.

Oct. 31 2010 02:50 PM
WANDA (CORBETT) CONNOR from LUMBERTON, TEXAS

THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE. I AM 75 NOV 20, AND HAVE LOVED DORIS DAY FOR MANY, MANY YEARS. IN 2000, MY HUSBAND HARRIS, STAN, AND FAITH CORBETT STAYED IN YOUR LOVELY HOTEL IN CARMEL, CALIF. PIC WERE TAKEN AND PUT ON YOUR WEBSITE FOR THE HOTEL. WE WERE SENT ONE OF YOUR CD'S AS A GIFT. SINCE THEN MY HUSBAND PASSED WITH LUNG CANCER, AND I REMARRIED. I WANT TO SEE YOU WIN THE OSCAR AWARD. STILL PLAYING YOUR MUSIC. LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH. WANDA

Oct. 31 2010 02:48 PM
Lola Albright from New York City, NY

I've adored Doris Day for 56 years ! One of my favorite movies is Calamity Jane. Whenever I am feeling down, her voice still cheers me. She is a gift to the world. I wish the Academy would give her an Oscar for life achievement.

Oct. 31 2010 02:44 PM
Donna Anderson from Milwaukie, OR

Loved the interview! I grew up watching Doris Day movies and singing her songs (even though I can't carry a tune). I knew the tunes and boy could I sing loud.Thank you, thank you for the time with Doris. It brought back so many, many wonderful memories.
Stay well Doris and keep up the good work with our little furry friends!

Oct. 31 2010 02:44 PM
Cheyl B from Spanaway,Washington

This is great. doris is one of my very favorite entertainers and people. She is a classy lady. Young at Heart is my favorite movie. So many greats in this film., Ethel Barrymore, Frank Sinatra, ....the beach song is the best.

Oct. 31 2010 02:38 PM
betty mcp from Little Rock, Arkansas

Great interview of a great lady. Her laugh, her voice, her attitude are young and vibrant. Thank you so very much for putting her on the air! You are loved, Miss Day.

Oct. 31 2010 02:34 PM
Kathy Morath from livingston nj

After listening to Doris Day talk about her life and career, I realized how logical and thoughtful she was, in addition to being the best singing actress ever.
Thanks Johanthan, for this amazing interview. And thank you Miss Day. You're an inspiration!

Oct. 31 2010 02:33 PM
Tim Matchette from Eagle Point, OR

What a great gal and a wonderful experience to hear her discuss her past and her marvelous career. I wrote to Ms Day once earlier this year but sadly never heard back but do wish to thank her for taking her time and sharing her memories with those of us who remain her fans. I wish her all the very best.

Oct. 31 2010 02:28 PM
Gaynor Hart from Ferndale South Wales

Doris Day is one of my favourite singers and actresses of all time. such a talented lady with the singing voice of an angel. got all her films. my favourites are young at heart and calamity jane. A truly lovely lady an inspiration to us all.

Oct. 31 2010 02:21 PM
Eleanor from Gulf Breeze Florida

When I was a child in Scotland I used to watch Doris Day and Gordon McRae movies. I swore when I grew up that I would name my children Doris and Gordon. Unfortunately I had two boys. I wrote to Ms Day and told her my story and she was lovely and sent me a signed picture. I just love her.

Oct. 31 2010 02:14 PM
Wendy from New Jersey

How perfect is this? Two of my favorite things--Doris Day and Sirius radio. It doesn't get any better.

Thanks for making this interview available. And thank you, Doris Day, for being a part of my life.

Oct. 31 2010 02:00 PM
Valerie Ogden from Montclair, CA

What a wonderful interview with the most graceful, great woman this world has ever known. I have almost every movie and several records so I can relive my admiration often. And aren't we fortunate to have such advanced communication to be able to hear this. Thank you Doris for the memories and thank you Mr. Swartz for this fantastic memory.

Oct. 31 2010 01:59 PM
Evelyn Ferstl from Phoenix, Arizona

What a wonderful interview...and to hear
about her life in person..and hear her sing.

I loved all of her movies, and songs, as
well what a great and beautiful person she is.

I am so glad she is finally going to be recognized in January on the 27th of Jan
my Mother's birthday..she would be 100
years old today..

Oct. 31 2010 01:54 PM
dsinla from los angeles

Join the facebook page:

Doris Day to be (finally) Honored by the Oscars?

Oct. 31 2010 01:52 PM
Connie Sambor from Plymouth, MN

Thank you so much for the wonderful interview with Doris Day. I have been a fan of this multi talented lady most of my life. What a delight to hear her in this conversation. I once met her at her home on Crescent Drive back in 1980. She was so kind to a fan from Minnesota, a day I will never forget. Love you Doris !

Oct. 31 2010 01:42 PM
Toni from Blue Springs, Missouri

I absolutely love Doris Day. I have all the Bear Family sets that she spoke about. She should take them out and give them a listen - they're wonderful ! As Terry said - "She can make a vocal sound like there's a smile or some kind of tear behind it. She can really create a visual effect with an audio art ." And Doris herself said - "I like the simplest form of music. I would prefer singing with just a guitar or piano. See, I have to sing in somebody's ear" And that she did - her music is so personal and intimate, you feel that she is singing just to you. Thank you for this wonderful interview. Doris - sending you and your babies many blessings and much love !

Oct. 31 2010 01:42 PM
Meryl Heasman from Kent, England.

WOW! What a wonderful interview with Doris..she is so natural and honest. There is absolutely nothing pretentious about her. I am so glad I had a listen as Doris Day has been my favourite singer since I was a small child. I agree with Jonathan about her being a wonderful actress, I too enjoyed Hitchcock's "The Man who knew too much". Doris is certainly a lady of many talents and I admire all the work she does for animal welfare.
Well done on a great interview.

Oct. 31 2010 01:35 PM
Maggie Worsdale from NJ

Jonathan, you are a class act. Interview = Fantastic. Song you chose to play right after the interview = Perfection.

Oct. 31 2010 01:25 PM
Viv Hartman from rye brook ny

Thanks Jonathan,
A truly inspirational and moving interview
She is so genuine, humble with a "lesson for life"
"It is the way it is, so, that's that"
Do your very best ALL the time,
can't do more than that!
Tell her "I love her",
Thanks again,
Viv

Oct. 31 2010 01:22 PM
Teresa Demonbreun from Nashville, Tennessee

Thank you so much for doing this interview and airing for myself and other Doris Day fan's to listen to. I have been and will continue to be a huge fan of hers. I have all but 3 of her movies on video and all of her music, as well as, an autographed picture of Ms. Day.

God bless her in her senior years and keep her in good health so she will be with us for many, many years to come. I love you to pieces Ms. Day.

Thank you Mr. Schwartz. God bless you.

Sincerely,
Teresa

Oct. 31 2010 01:08 PM
Mark Seiffert from Dallas, TX 75228

My favorite Doris Day song is Day By Day, from Jesus Christ Superstar, sung on her 1975 tv special, Doris Day Today, hope it will be released.
Great interview, with 650 plus songs to her credit, please play on your station, great way to introduce to a new generation of fans.

Oct. 31 2010 12:37 PM
Mark Seiffert from Dallas, TX

Doris sounds great! Wish she would do more interviews, interesting listening to Doris such a perfectionist on her own music. I always say she was never recognized enough for her outstanding talent in music, film, radio, I do not think she even knows how great she is, the best in the industry even today. Would love for CBS to do a great special about her life on TV, introduce her to new fans who do not even now her name or body of work especially animal welfare. I have been a fan since 1960.

Oct. 31 2010 12:17 PM

I love Doris Day, but the truth is that she was not the best judge of her songs. She did not want "Secret Love" in CALAMITY JANE, but was overruled, and she refused to record another song for her film, JULIE. That song was "The Twelfth of Never." Both songs were written by her neighbor, Paul Francis Webster.

Oct. 31 2010 11:52 AM
Beulah Powell from kingsland,Georgia 31548

Doris Day is a one in a million Actress, Dancer, Singer and more. I've admired her and her talent for years. As a retired Animal Control Officer I also admire the great work she is dedicating to Animals who are so neglected and abused in this life.. What can I say except I love you my Dear One and God is blessing you every day and will be beside you forever. (Psalm 103), I honor you with Miss Doris and will continue praying for you and your achievements. Loving you always, Beulah Powell,Kingsland,Georgia

Oct. 31 2010 11:25 AM
maureen cottam from south yorkshire england

Fantastic interview with Doris Day loved every minuet. She sounds fabulous for her age i've been a fan all my life . What a great sense of humour she has. Her music is on in my home every day.

Oct. 31 2010 11:13 AM

Thanks for your comment, Meg. I've made the tweak in this article.

Oct. 31 2010 11:04 AM
Paul Douglas from Scotland.

Paul from Clackmannan,
I fell in love with Doris Day during my R.A.F. days serving in the SUEZ crisis during the early 1950`s. She was not a sex symbol, she was the Girl Next Door that every young man wanted to marry. Not just an amazing singer with perfect pitch but a wonderful actress and dancer, in spite of the terrible accident she had when she broke her leg when a train hit the car she was travelling in. Priscilla and i have been married for 47 years and we both just adore Doris. The wonderful joy and feeling of well being she has inspired in us through her `work` as she calls it, is truly `magical` as she herself, away from her `work` truly is!
Long may we all continue to hear her sing and watch her dance and act, and may her work with animals continue to give her the pleasure and satisfaction it currently does, for this is what will keep her with us for many many more years to come.
GOD BLESS you DORIS,
with LOVE from Paul and Priscilla Douglas.

Oct. 31 2010 10:31 AM
ALAN DANN from England

Great interview, Doris Day is a great actress and singer, my favourite song is Through the Eyes Of Love, film Love Me Or Leave Me.

Oct. 31 2010 10:15 AM
Barbara Norton from Alabama

I am a HUGH fan of Doris, Thank you for the interview, Doris never sounded better, really hope we hear more interviews like this, there will never be another female singer that puts such feelings in songs the way Doris did, and she brought out those same feelings on screen as an actress, Doris you will live in our hearts forever, God bless you, Dear Lady..

Oct. 31 2010 09:51 AM
sheridan Whiteside from Perth AUSTRALIA

What a great actress Doris is, Just watched "Julie" on youtube Julie (Doris) is a an Airline Stewardess who has to land the Aircraft after both Pilots come down with food poisoning

Oct. 31 2010 07:29 AM
Marilyn Goodwin from Australia

Have adored Doris Day since I was a little girl. My favourite was Calamity Jane. Thank you so much for all the wonderful music and movies.

Oct. 31 2010 04:41 AM
lynda from England

I was about 5 or 6 when my mum took me to see Doris in Calamity Jane and from then on I was hooked. My favourite film was Love Me or Leave Me with James Cagney in which she not only sang, but showed she could be a wonderful dramatic actress. It was such a shame when she gave up filming, but listening to the interview with Jonathan Schwartz she still sounds in very good health.
We still get lots of her films shown on British TV so she is never forgotten.

Oct. 31 2010 02:54 AM

I heart Doris Day. It's Magic. My Secret Love. There're no other versions of these songs I'd want to hear. And she's fantastic in this interview—so strong, so clear. I bet she can still sing. I'm sure she can, in fact. I'm proud to share her birthday. Thank you for this interview.

Oct. 31 2010 01:11 AM
Meg from Chicago

Thank you for the marvelous interview! I admire Doris Day so much, and could listen to her for hours. Besides being a gifted singer, she was an incredible screen actress who excelled at drama as well as comedy. My favorite drama of hers was "Young at Heart", and favorite comedy--"Pillow Talk".

btw.--Doris' son Terry sadly passed away about 6 years ago from cancer. I think Doris has one grandchild.

Oct. 30 2010 11:17 PM
Sheridan Whiteside from Perth AUSTRALIA

So wonderful to be able to listen to this here in Australia on a Sunday Morning. I have an elderly friend in his 80's who is totally besotted with Miss Day, can't wait to let him have a listen

Oct. 30 2010 10:41 PM
Jeffrey from Brooklyn

Please book Doris everyday.

Oct. 30 2010 10:26 PM
Tim Sika from Campbell, CA

I'd have loved for this marvelous interview to go on for another 4 or 5 hours. What a joy to hear this great singer/actress doing so well, and still going so strong at 88.

Oct. 30 2010 10:21 PM
Fred Landau from New York, NY

Mr. Schwartz's program finally inspired me to sit down and YouTube my Que Sera Sera parody, but it's a sincere "Campaign to just give Doris Day the Oscar Jean-Luc Godard doesn't seem to want"

Is it OK to post it here?

Mr. Schwartz's program is sung about in the third verse at 1:18 in the YouTube.

(I only heard a half hour of the interview, can't wait to hear the other half tomorrow)

Oct. 30 2010 08:22 PM
Betsy from NYC

It's not just the amazing voice and the timing as a singer, or the incredible legacy of acting; from the heartbreaking scenes from The Man Who Knew Too Much, to the comic genius in her romps with Rock Hudson, David Niven, James Garner, or Cary Grant!!! ..or the way she looks in those fitted slacks that she seemed to wear in every movie well past her 20's ( and still looked better than I ever did!). It's the spirit and the joy that seemed to glow from her every pore. I just always wanted to be Doris Day for that reason. For that spirit.

Oct. 30 2010 07:42 PM
Lindsey Scott from Zurich, Switzerland

I grew up with Doris' music and movies & grew to admire her through her work with animals. She was such a pioneer - as America's 1st female top box office draw, in her support of Rock Hudson & in her support of animals and she still sings like an angel! Thanks for doing this for the fans, Doris!

Oct. 30 2010 07:14 PM
Mark Somers from San Diego, CA

The interview was manna from heaven. My dream is for Miss Day to join Barbara Cook on stage for an evening of pure bliss.

Oct. 30 2010 05:09 PM
Pearl from Virginia

I love Doris Day! I think I've seen all her movies (over & over) and have a great deal of them on tape as well. I love the sweeter, gentler time and through the years have shared her effervescent joy with my children and grandchildren as well. I think Calamity Jane may be my all time favorite, but I really liked the Ballad of Josie as well. Thanks for letting us hear from her. She still brings joy to my heart.

Oct. 30 2010 05:09 PM
Ben Yagoda

Wonderful interview. Thank you Miss Day and Mr. Schwartz.

Oct. 30 2010 04:38 PM