David Sedaris on Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

Thursday, October 21, 2010

David Sedaris talks about his latest collection of short stories, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary. While the characters in this book may not be human, the situations of their lives bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of our everyday lives. The book includes original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books.

David Sedaris

I enjoyed the interview, but why would Leonard Lopate conclude with a condescending remark? "You do write well, don't worry about it...." Bizarre.

Oct. 24 2010 10:05 AM
Gabby from Manhattan

Dear Leonard, I think you misused a word -- truthiness. I think what you meant to say is that there have been discussions about how much of David Sedaris' autobiographical stories are true. The word truthiness, on the other hand, was coined by Stephen Colbert and it means what feels true in one's gut (but doesn't have much to do with the facts).

Oct. 21 2010 01:55 PM
Stephen from NCY

I really enjoy David Sedaris reading his own stories. Every Christmas season I eagerly await the NPR rebroadcast of him reading a selection from "Santaland Diaries." He has such a distinctive voice that adds so much. He also does an excellent impersonation of Billie Holiday when he sings "Away in a Manger."

Oct. 21 2010 12:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

PS: I'm glad David Sedaris likes the way my brother (& the other readers for the service) reads his pieces!

Oct. 21 2010 12:49 PM
Another David in NYC from NYC

David!!!!!!
I can't believe you don't like dogs and -- most surprising and disappointing -- don't trust them! It literally HURT me deep inside to hear you say this. I thank whatever greater power there may be that my own Mickey does not understand enough English to know what you said, and that my 13-year-old daughter -- a great fan of yours, who had, by the age of 11, nearly memorized Santa Land Diaries" and shared it with all her friends and teachers. I will have to keep this information to myself. The pain will remain with me and with me alone; when or if I might recover is unknown and altogether problematic. There probably is not enough therapy in the world.
I invite you to come to my home (seriously) and meet Mickey, our Shetland Sheepdog, our 3rd born (Randall was our 1st born, but at 16 he passed on, a very tired, old man; my daughter, though adopted, the 2nd born -- she was born, after all). He would like nothing more than for you to just pick him up and just hold him. After a few minutes, he will look at you. His eyes and head movements will tell you what is is feeling: "I love you, and now I trust you. You can hold me or put me down again; whatever suits you."
You will see, David. You have cut yourself off from the only segment of the human population with an innate morality and love of others.

I must go cry now. But I understand that your feelings about dogs are not the same as I would like them to be; nor need they be. I've learned this from Randall and Mickey. Everything I need to know in life I have learned from my dogs. (By the way, dogs neither smoke nor drink nor argue over stupid things nor hold grudges. And they love you forever and always forgive your mistakes and transgressions.)

Yours in confusion,
David in New York

Oct. 21 2010 12:49 PM
Stephen from NYC

I love that David Sedaris hates dogs. The only thing I hate more is dog owners who think everyone loves dogs.

Oct. 21 2010 12:47 PM
Amy from Manhattan

My brother is 1 of those people who read the New Yorker for blind people, & he *is* an actor. The freshness David Sedaris hears in his voice may come from his not having the chance to rehearse first.

Oct. 21 2010 12:46 PM
Jeremy from Harlem

Sedaris doesn't like dogs!?!?

Oct. 21 2010 12:41 PM
Richard from New York City

WNYC just censored the word "titties" in David's reading.

Ridiculous