Smoking in Public Parks

Thursday, October 14, 2010

City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. is introducing his bill at a hearing Thursday to designate smoking sections in city parks. Mayor Bloomberg has prosposed legislation that would ban smoking from parks entirely, citing the health risks from second-hand smoke.

How do you feel about smoking in city parks? Should it be limited, banned altogether, or anywhere a smoker wants it?

Tags:

More in:

Linnea

I disagree with the idea of banning smoking in public parks. If we're against tobacco, we should stop production. Don't penalize the user. I can foresee "smoking violations" being issued to raise city revenue- not cool.
On the other hand, I think smokers should be more conscious of where/when they are smoking, whether they are disturbing people nearby... and non-smokers should be conscious of where they choose to picnic, etc. I think we need to be mindful of one another.

Oct. 16 2010 07:05 PM
Lee Nichols from NY

1,000 puffing cigarette smokers equal 4 seconds of one typical car, or a single second of a bus, especially the thousands of private buses polluting and jamming things up.

What is a serious priority? Why not focus your apparently limited cerebral resources on resolving serious issues? War, economy...

Oct. 16 2010 06:40 PM

Hey, qaz668, didn't you read WNYC's terms?

"The Service can only be used for non-commercial purposes. You cannot distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising or solicitation for goods and services."

GO BACK TO FLORIDA!

Oct. 16 2010 02:46 PM
Gianluca from Lower East Side

I am a non-smoker and breathed a sigh of relief when bars became smoke free but think this is a step too far. Second-hand smoke outdoors? What nonsense - it's outdoors! I would like to know how many of these people supporting this drive instead of using public transport or drive SUVs. Their tail-pipes do more harm than a kid having a puff ten-plus feet away from me in park. But most of all I resent the fact that so many already-stretched-too-thin resources are going into this. The amount of time and taxpayers money spent pushing this proposal through and enforcing it is offensive. These roads to nowhere must stop!

Oct. 15 2010 02:39 PM
Gianluca from Lower East Side

Oct. 15 2010 02:38 PM
C.M.

I am a smoker and I know it is a problem, but it is not the most significant problem in my life right now. I have been mostly unemployed for the last three years. I became a volunteer to make good use of the time and have discovered so many serious problems that are never talked about. There is an animal crisis because people cannot afford to stay in their homes. There are elderly people who do not have enough help to be happy. There are millions of young men and women incarcerated with very minimal options even if they get out of jail. This country has been in a war for a decade with no end in sight. This is just a glimpse of what people have to deal with every day. Maybe if we focused all the attention that smoking gets on the real problems this country has, we could solve some. Because when I get done spending time at the animal shelter, then taking an elderly woman to the store for grocery's and then come home to hear who we are going to attack next. I like to have an overpriced cigarette.

Oct. 15 2010 10:08 AM
Tony from Astoria

I like Mr. Vallone's idea. Set aside a space. I for one like to walk to Astoria Park on a summer evening and smoke a cigar while watching the river roll by. It helps take the edge off from the day.

Oct. 15 2010 02:33 AM
Barry Blitstein from Midtown

I deplore smoking, favor its banning everywhere, think smoking sections in public parks is a ludicrous idea. And I believe banning smoking in public parks is an unenforceable, unwise way to go. I would like to see nonsmoking zones in parks; areas where children, runners, bikers, soccer players aggregate.

Oct. 15 2010 02:27 AM
Lenny from Brooklyn

This sounds to me like communist Russia, I can understand banning smoking in enclosed areas but give me a break!! There is no evidence that outdoor open air smoke hurts anyone but the one inhaling, why don't we ban cars and go back to horse and buggy!! That would be great for the environment and we will do away with real pollution that sickens and kills millions of people a year not to mention what it's doing to the ozone layer. Also we can consider banning chewing gum (like in Singapore) for those who are worried about litter I see more black gum stains on our sidewalks and find more gum on the soles of my shoes than I see cig butts.

Oct. 15 2010 01:06 AM
Fact_Is from NY

I find it rather sickening that NY city, a city that brought us so many immigrants, is blind as to what is happening in their city. Those who PRETEND to know it all sure have not done honest research into the smoking situation. Instead they are tied to personal likes and funds they gain from the foundation who doles out funds in the form of grants to issue bans of various nature - all geared to bring PROFITS to an industry, the industry that makes the no-smoke products (follow the money and learn a lot!).

So what will be ban next? Beware should the 'funder' ever get into the razor blade and wig businesses!!!

Oct. 14 2010 11:54 PM
Mary Ellen Smith from Coalinga, CA

No smoking in public period.

Oct. 14 2010 11:04 PM
gene from NYC

qaz668 spams the world doing PR for his ecig company.

NO MORE ADS, qaz! Go back to Florida and quit pimping your mom out on the internet.

Oct. 14 2010 06:13 PM
qaz668 from New Jersey

My mom got away from smoking with an electronic cigarette. Katherine Heigl said they helped her too. They produce no secondhand smoke to bother others. They also leave no tar in the lungs. You can see the one that worked for my mom at www.CleanGreenNicotine.com.

Oct. 14 2010 04:15 PM
Ronda Alexander, MD from Queens

A smoker's right to smoke ends at the point where it intersects with my right not to. Non-smokers deserve clean air when we go out to walk, exercise or simply enjoy nature's beauty. The experience from bars and restaurants only proves that when you ban smoking, the resource is used MORE not less. It's time for NYC to be tobacco-free!

Oct. 14 2010 02:54 PM