Lennon's 70th Birthday

Friday, October 08, 2010

Michael Epstein, director, producer and writer of the PBS documentary LENNONYC, discusses the legacy of the famous Beatle.  Lennon would have been 70 on Saturday.

»» Plus, hear the first ever on-air Brian Lehrer Show Chorus sing Give Peace A Chance. Find lyrics and instructions here!

Michael Epstein

Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from www.WagnerOpera.com

Whatever one's personal musical taste, one thing is certain, the Beattles have united many in support of their melodic and lyric contributions to the cornucopia of musical treasures. Their stand on PEACE may have divided many according to their own political frame of reference, but their devotion to that cause was evidently true to form and not a gimmicky decision.
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Wagnerian heldentenor, opera composer: "Shakespeare" & "The Political Shakespeare" & director, the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute.
Website: WagnerOpera.com

Oct. 12 2010 09:54 AM
BeeMcgee from Westfiled, NJ

Way back when the Beatles first landed, Irene and I held tight in a phone booth with rolls of dimes, dialing & dialing to the Plaza (?) at the time, KNOWING that we would get through and talk with a Beatle.
Years later, a new idea came upon us. Yes ! John living in the City... This would be MUCH easier.... all we would have to do is to show up ! But with some flare.... gorilla heads ! Yes, that is what we did .....and we laughed and laughed and were told that it wasn't likely that our efforts would be appreciated, however, we lingered around anyway. It was a nice early spring day, April 28th, 2:00ish PM and ...there around game John ,,, we were at first stunned, but then we quickly did our gorilla dance and he broke up into laughter and danced a shuffle with us for a monent, laughing, and , then, before we could get our big gorilla heads off, he was back home ! We were blown away, as well as as Dakota door-man ! John Lennon showed up ! It was amazing for two little hippie chicks with hairy gorilla heads on their heads to achieve our goal to make John Lennon LAUGH !!! We were blessed !
Peace!

Oct. 09 2010 02:25 AM
Amy from Manhattan

R from NYC: it's "their" fault if you can't find the off switch on your radio?

Oct. 08 2010 12:34 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Marielle from Brooklyn -- nope, that was Mr. Lennon's lyric. Have a great day.

Oct. 08 2010 12:07 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

When you think about how Mr. Lennon died, the woman who can be heard in the audio bragging about following Mr. Lennon around the park and asking for his autograph was beyond creepy.

Oct. 08 2010 12:05 PM
A

ps: it's since changed back, I'm sure.

Oct. 08 2010 11:57 AM
Marielle from Brooklyn

I'm pretty sure Paul wrote "In My Life."

Oct. 08 2010 11:56 AM
john from office

Gag me with a spoon

Oct. 08 2010 11:55 AM
R from NYC

if they don't stop "singing?" I'm going to kill myself! And it's your fault.

Oct. 08 2010 11:54 AM
John from office

Urgh, Beatles overload!!!

Oct. 08 2010 11:54 AM
Robert from NYC

I saw him and Yoko (gulp!) standing in line to get into the movie theatre behind Bloomingdales on 3rd Av. I don't remember the name of the theatre but my partner and I were going to see a movie there and they were waiting in line to get tickets just like the rest of us. I don't even know is that theatre is still there.

Oct. 08 2010 11:53 AM
A from NYC

I remember the moment when, as a 8- or 9-year-old, I realized that John Lennon and I had been alive at the same time. I was born in December 1979 but had always just assumed he died before my time. Knowing there had been a year when we had shared the same universe changed my view of life and living and history. Somehow.

Oct. 08 2010 11:53 AM
office from office

While his murder is tragic, lets not go over board here. He was a musician, drug abuser and shameless self promoter. Remember the BED IN.

I am tired of the Beatles and Baby boomers marking every little highlight of their lives.

Oct. 08 2010 11:52 AM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Brian, four singers is a quartet, not a chorus.

Oct. 08 2010 11:49 AM
Robert from NYC

Thanks for not have Yoko OH NO!!! GOD NO!!!

Oct. 08 2010 11:48 AM
troy from Carroll Gardens

Brian -
Can I beatbox on the track. I'm SUPER good. For reals. John would want it that way.

Oct. 08 2010 11:08 AM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Why this song? Though it has a nice message, it's one of Mr. Lennon's lesser efforts. "In My Life" would be a better choice.

Oct. 08 2010 11:03 AM