African Americans Today

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Eugene Robinson, author of Disintegration: The Splintering of Black America and politics and culture columnist and associate editor at The Washington Post, explains how he sees African Americans split into distinct sociological groups.

Eugene Robinson

larry from queens from cambria heights, st.albans

black owned and operated rubbish removal llc. servicing nyc and nassau county.

www.thejunkjunkies.com

happy holidays Everyone!

Nov. 20 2010 05:30 PM
Jay from Norwalk CT

John from Office and hjs11211, you both should take a trip to a small town in upstate NY like Schenectady where you'll find plenty of very poor, obese white people who speak to their kids like wild dogs.

Oct. 07 2010 03:24 PM
Randi from Brooklyn

As an black female I think the biggest problem with discussions about African America is that the focus is always centered on the poorest tract. No wonder our society thinks poverty and black are synonymous. I really like Eugene Robinson, but I refuse to pick up any books that center around "black problems" - they tell the same story OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I think the biggest "problem" in Black America is that we never focus on successful black americans. The vast majority of black people are reasonably educated, law abiding, productive citizens. But you'd never know it!! The story of black poverty has become a big business -mass media, political leaders, churches, books, gov't programs, etc.

John from Office, you are not a racist but unfortunately you haven't been exposed to the better sect of black america. Its true that most housing projects in NYC are resided by Blacks, but most Blacks don't live in housing projects. I've never lived in one a day in my life - and neither has most of the people that I grew up and went to school with. There have always been sections of NY with large, successful black constituencies - Clinton Hill (where I grew up), Flatlands, St. Albans, Cambria Heights.

Oct. 07 2010 11:42 AM
Ron

For those who care to have some actual information for these discussions, two good recent books: The New Jim Crow, Michelle Alexander; Slavery by Another Name, Douglas Blackmon.

Oct. 07 2010 10:52 AM
Deb Ruffins from New York

How come no one ever addresses what was formerly known as the talent tenth and still exists in the form of the black upper class? We are still embroiled in conversations on poverty and middle class aspirations but what about an actually wealthy class. It is not until we have equal access to CAPITAL that we will have fully arrived as the Americans (no modifiers or hyphens) we are.

Oct. 07 2010 10:48 AM

john
"Come on, is is self disstructive."

that's desperation, people who have given up

Oct. 07 2010 10:46 AM
Zach from UWS

That was a scary call. Separate is inherently unequal. Too bad Brian and Eugene didn't really address this call.

Oct. 07 2010 10:46 AM
Ruben Dominguez from Brooklyn

What Eugene is talking about Black Americans doesn't apply to Latin Americans in the US? Or less put it this way, those that are black from countries that speak Spanish. I'm seeing a tendency to divide through races and we forget that Latin America is in some way a melting pot more with economic or education barriers rather than race.

Oct. 07 2010 10:45 AM
JP from Brooklyn

It is sad that there needs to be a distinction between how successful African immigrants are vs. African Americans who are the descendants of slaves -- OF COURSE the children of recent African immigrants do well -- the children of immigrants, regardless of race, tend to do better, on average, than many other people.

Anyone who thinks the struggles of the African-American community are due to something inherently wrong with blacks (and sadly there are still MANY people who think this) need to acknowledge that the Africans who aren't stuck in the cycle of poverty are doing fine.

Oct. 07 2010 10:45 AM

i wonder where the truth from becky is.
i see what she means about brian...

Oct. 07 2010 10:44 AM
John from office

I understand, but there is also personal choice and free will. I also see alot of smoking, one woman obese, in a scooter, smoking. Come on, is is self disstructive.

Oct. 07 2010 10:43 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Does the fact that the most highly educated immigrants today are from Africa mean there's a "brain drain" from African countries? If so, maybe that could be a future BL segment.

Oct. 07 2010 10:39 AM
patti from paterson

Hello John,

To help you out, there is truth to what you have said, but it does not fall down lines of color. I see this amongs lines of education level or financial means.

Also, to address the issue of obesity, take a careful look at the food choices available (w/n walking distance).

Oct. 07 2010 10:37 AM

I too have wonder why afr-american parents talk to children as if they were speaking to a wild dogs. I think to myself why should anyone respect u if u don't respect yourself, your children. (and add the fatherlessness also)

Oct. 07 2010 10:36 AM
John from office

Ask him about the anti intellectual attitude towards education, where is that from.

Oct. 07 2010 10:34 AM
merrill clark from New York

Does Mr. Robinson have a proposal on lifting up those in poverty?

Oct. 07 2010 10:34 AM
John from Office.

I KNOW i WILL BE CALLED A RACIST, BUT:

I recently moved to a new area near a projects, that is mostly African American. I am shocked at the manner the children are spoken to, the lack of a work ethic and the obesity. I am also shocked at the music that young children are allowed to hear. Something has to be done by the community itself.

Oct. 07 2010 10:29 AM