Help for Public Housing Residents Who Are Behind on Their Rent

Monday, September 27, 2010

WNYC

New York City's Housing Authority is launching a pilot program to help public housing tenants catch up on late rent payments and avoid eviction.

About 22,000 NYCHA residents are behind on rent, a 44 percent increase over the last year. The Housing Authority's Michelle Pinnock says with the help of non-profit partners such as the United Way, tenants will be offered payment plans, longer extensions and other financial strategies.

"So not just how do you get the rent paid but overall how do you better manage you know, your existing resources where rent is a priority is but also basically families can manage their overall responsibilities."

The program will start in six public housing complexes in Queens, where there has been a 70 percent spike in missed rent payments. If it's successful, it could expand to other boroughs in a year.

Pinnock says offering financial help is not only good for struggling tenants, but might also assist the Housing Authority. NYCHA spends about a million dollars a year issuing notices to delinquent tenants and holding administrative hearings.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

willie herrera

Please send me information on this topic.

Aug. 26 2011 11:51 AM
Troy from 78201

It sure is nice that there are entities such as the United Way that are able to step in and help in some capacity.

Jul. 17 2011 01:29 AM
parental control

The main difference of the Care4teen system from similar programs is that it gives you total knowledge and maximum control. With the help of remote access you can literally keep your finger on the pulse of your child’s Internet activities.

Jul. 10 2011 02:32 AM
Audrey West from Brooklyn

I too am behind in my rent and want to avoid effiction. I was having problems before and finally got caught up when i had to go out on disability for 6 weeks from my job which put me right back behind. This program should be for all boroughs. How can I sign up? I don't want to face eviction again.

Nov. 08 2010 09:23 AM
gloriaamcpherson from Bronx NY

I was evicted on 12-2006 because of behind rent and I had a job there was no help for me and my daugther also housing Authority couldnt help even thoruhg they had a soical service dept also there was agency in this city Homebase but I was over the ferderal guide I couldnt even get the legal aide to help us I am still Homeless since lost my job since 20006 still how do I receive help even now

Oct. 12 2010 10:07 PM
Robin Moore from Brooklyn, NY

I lost my job in May 2010 and am behind in my rent because the rent decrease will not take effect until november 2010. How am I to pay a rent with little to no income. I need help to stay on top of my rent payment in Brooklyn. How can I fill out this application?

Oct. 07 2010 01:01 PM
Charlene S. from 11377

I'm reading this, its great that there is help out there for us but its not stating where or who is giving this help and where do we go. im in need of help with my rent, and i need it fast.

Oct. 05 2010 11:35 PM
Sindia Avila

It great I am in a difficult situation also but you guys don't list the requirement or amount of rent owe to see if we qualify.

Oct. 05 2010 01:45 PM
Maria C. from 11221

It should be for all area, not only Queen. I'm from Brooklyn, and I have a problem also catching up on my rent, it not much, but if I get the help I need, I know I will need no help from anyone. I will stay on top of my rent payment.

Oct. 03 2010 06:05 PM