30 Issues In 30 Days: Paladino's Character

True/False: Paladino’s Character Should Be A Dealbreaker for Voters

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Michael Barbaro, New York Times reporter, profiles Republican nominee for New York governor Carl Paladino and likely voters weigh in on whether his personality is a dealbreaker or the reason he's the ideal man to fix Albany.

Michael Barbaro

Jennifer

Paladino supports an Arizona-style immigration law: http://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/paladino-touts-arizona-style-immigration-pitch-1.2327741

Existing New York law does not let police stop people suspected of being illegal immigrants "based on profiling," Paladino said. That aspect, he said, "should go to a public referendum. It should be up to the people."

Campaign manager Michael Caputo interrupted and said Paladino's official position was that a new law wasn't needed.

"But, but . . . ," Paladino said.

"Carl," Caputo said, holding up his hand.

Oct. 01 2010 12:25 AM

I know you've read my responses. I sense I've embarrassed you, that you realize you've made a mistake, and that you're searching for a graceful, or at least less shameful, climb down. It's okay. I'm neither cruel nor vindictive. Simply maintain your silence. I'll take it as an admission of your error. Save for this comment thread, I will never bother reading anything you right, and I will still warn everyone else that you are absolutely, under no circumstances, to be believed or taken seriously. That's only fair, only the honest thing to do. But I accept your implicit, weasel's apology. May we all be as gently humbled, as kindly disabused of our delusions, as you've been.

Sep. 29 2010 06:56 PM

I know this is beyond your analytical skills, but why would I hide the fact that I am secretly hjs11211 by admitting it? Could it be that you're willfully misreading what I wrote? Look me up online. No one else has has my name. I'm easy to find. I'm more than happy to call you... light in the head to your face. With any luck, hjs11211 will post on this board while I'm yelling at you, and you'll be forced to admit you've succumb to a conspiracy theory.

Sep. 29 2010 11:21 AM

Those are the two names.

Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece. Eruch aka Aneece.

Become BFF with your brain.

Sep. 29 2010 11:15 AM

On
I wrote:

g.e.Taylor from Bklyn., NY

@Eruch Colt from Brooklyn:

"Are you "@aneece from Brooklyn" or are you "hjs11211" ? I'm only asking because those are the only two psueodo-names I've directly addressed on this thread. I could be wrong, but I can't find your previous comments here.
Anyway - time, being like an effluvial stream-
(blah, blah, blah) . . . "

To which "Aneece aka Eruch from Brooklyn" replied, on:

Aneece aka Eruch from Brooklyn

"Sorry for the name confusion. My computer is filled with autocompletion gremlins. Those two pseudo names are my actual names, so I guess that makes me a "pseudo" person?

Anyway, Taylor, I refuse to grant your multiple change of venue requests. Indulge me in a little role playing. I'll be you, and a conservative version of Cuomo has just been pulled over with a "dead h**ker" in the trunk. . . . .(blah, blah, blah) "

For now at least, I'll forgo the indulgence of any witty (or even half witty) retort.
I assume that the only people who will be interested in reading the cited messages are those trying to manage the integrity of this site.
I take it from the tone of your communication we may never be "BFF" - 'tis a pity. ; {()

Sep. 29 2010 11:10 AM

geTaylor,

It's one thing to be wrong, even stupidly wrong. Lord knows we all make foolish mistakes. It's another to be disingenuous. I see now that you operate exclusively on bad faith. What's the point of engaging with you? If there was an ignore feature, I would use it. As it is, I've nothing to more say to you, just as I have nothing to say to my broken printer, or the stone that stubbed my toe. In the future, if you bring the crazy, I'll post some stock statement warning the naive about wasting time looking for sense where there is none to find.

I'm sorry for mistaking you for a serious person. It won't happen again.

Sep. 29 2010 09:39 AM

geTaylor

You are combining me with another, separate person. How dense can you be? My first and middle names are Eruch Aneece. One time my computer auto-filled the name field with my other name: "Eruch". This other person you think I am is just that, another person. You quote from a previous post of mine, and yet you obviously lack basic reading comprehension skills.

So, in your rush to misconstrue (a classic wingnut move), you're defending blatant anti- semitic speech. Well done.

Sep. 29 2010 08:50 AM
Virginia from NYC

I agree with Nick. I am amazed that Paladino did not find the emails offensive. In forwarding them he is a participant in perpetuating negative stereotypes. These actions can have consequences, even if unintended. I was also amazed by his response to Brian. Journalists ask questions, people running for office answer them. Paladino had better get used to this.

Sep. 28 2010 08:50 PM

@"Aneece from Brooklyn" and/or @"hjs11211"
It was more than interesting to discover that the following prohibition is part of the "Terms of Use" governing the privilege of posting on WNYC.org.
" You may not post, upload or transmit any messages or materials anonymously or under a false name or a false email address."

You can look it up here:

Sep. 28 2010 07:54 PM

@The Truth from Becky

Why don't you ask "Aneece from Brooklyn" or "hjs11211" how they are related?

Hint: ". . . computer is filled with autocompletion gremlins. Those two pseudo names are my actual names. . . . ."

(Frankly I didn't believe that line the first time I saw it. Seeing "Aneece" and "hjs11211" addressing each other on this thread was "thrilling".)

Sep. 28 2010 07:38 PM

Brian, you must get caller Brian from Glen Cove into the studio to do some political humor. I was laughing all day over what he said.

Sep. 28 2010 06:05 PM
Unheard from NYC

Becky you weren't able to articulate you're opinion. Jim made a clear point, you however did not. That's most of what people were trying to get at with their comments addressed to you. You simply weren't clear enough. The prejudiced comments didn't exactly make you seem open and accepting either.

Sep. 28 2010 04:29 PM

becky
be more clear next time. no one seems to know what u are upset about today.
"Brian I am tired of your disrespectful comments toward the Black community. Why didnt you use Jews in your example? There is a negative word for you people as well. Feeling sensitive? You should!?
Stop using the Black Community as your got scape goat!"
are u upset because he was reporting on the paladino's email?
do u also support paladino's plan to put some african-americans in closed jails to teach them how to clean themselves?
please enlighten me.

Sep. 28 2010 01:38 PM
The Truth from Becky

aneece - enjoy, flag it twice sweetie!

Sep. 28 2010 01:14 PM

Alright, Becky. I'm flagging your anti-Italian, anti-Jewish comment. I hope I'm overreacting. I'm afraid I'm not.

Sep. 28 2010 12:59 PM
The Truth from Becky

*SP - nononsense, aneece and hjs....move on with your lives already. I said what I said, I mean what I mean, It does not need to be pulled apart and analyzed. If indeed you believe that Brian is just a "messenger" and no part of him believes what he reads then you ALL have drank the "kool aid"

Go to lunch you three! I am so over it.

Love Becks!

Sep. 28 2010 12:55 PM
The Truth from Becky

nononsense, aneece and hjs....move on with your live already. I said what I said, I mean what I mean, I does not need to be pulled apart and anylyzed. If indeed you believe that Brian is just a "messenger" and no part of him believes what he reads then you ALL have drank the "kool aid"

Go to lunch you three! I am so over it.

Love Becks!

Sep. 28 2010 12:53 PM

I am kind of wondering if there is a grassroots movement afoot in which these Fox style callers ARE prowling such news organizations and talk shows like NPR in hopes of getting their voice across.

I think I do understand where Becky is coming from. She *maybe* feels attacked personally by the Show itself, and is not seeing that Brian is merely getting a view point of a group of people who seem to be growing. what Becky *perhaps* fails to see, is that in order to NOT accept this view, you have to hear it first,

Becks of the Order of Truth: don't you know the expression: "Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself"?

Sep. 28 2010 12:48 PM

Maybe I'm unusually dense, and couldn't understand what you were writing about. Can you restate it in different terms?

I'm not attacking you, so you don't have to be defensive. If you only care about your feelings, and not about being understood by other people, why post on a public forum. Why not write these things on post-it notes? I want to understand you. I think I'm the guy who's actually willing to listen to you.

Sep. 28 2010 12:46 PM

Aneece
it's not you i don't know why becky is upset with brian either. don't shoot the messenger.
let's move on and find someone on the right to attack.

Sep. 28 2010 12:44 PM
The Truth from Becky

Aneece - Really? who do you think you are?? Convince you? Really? Have you not been reading what I have been writing?? You are entitled to think whatever you want, I don't care about you personally, these are my feelings.

For understanding, just read Jim's post below yours, he wraps it up in a neat little nutshell.

Sep. 28 2010 12:38 PM

Sorry, Becky. That was a half hearted attempt at a joke. These things don't translate well online (just ask Paladino). I take it back.

Sadly, I remain totally unsure about what you're trying to say. It's a shame, because I'm always willing to change my mind if someone is able to make there case. If you ever bother to explain what you're talking about, post it here. I'll keep checking. I respect and admire Brian Lehrer, and if you were to demonstrate some special knowledge about him, something that might alter my opinion of him, I'd like to know it. This is a golden opportunity to convince an apostate. Don't let it pass! Make your best case, and if I'm unconvinced, perhaps you could interrogate your own unexamined beliefs. Then, we both win.

Or you could, you know, claim victory...again....inexplicably.

Sep. 28 2010 12:29 PM
Jim from Help Wanted from Port Washington, NY

Brian,

For a second there, I thought I was in a Bizzarro World where WNYC was FOX, after listening to some of your callers. Were you screening to get racists or sexists only?

Call me paranoid, but I happen to think the RIGHT is making a concerted effort to call in on all the middle and left leaning talk shows to express their racist and sexist opinions - that said, Paladino IS a racist and sexist. He has shown his ignorance and indifference hundreds of times through the years. And the media (including WNPR) is not challenging him on his anti-American views. The scary part is, there are ALSO a lot of racists and sexists in NY willing to put a person like that into Albany.

Sep. 28 2010 12:26 PM
The Truth from Becky

"stopthenonsense" - you would be wrong for guessing that is the core of the problem, U should have just asked.

Aneece - "Hallucinating?", nice. Thanks for playing!

Now you both have a wonderful day.

HJS - what do you think? Chat with ya later.

Sep. 28 2010 12:17 PM

truth
not sure what your beef today is, but the real question is will blacks and others on the lerft show up in november to support the president's long term agenda?

Sep. 28 2010 12:12 PM

Ok, Becky. Fair enough. You've convinced me you're steadfast in your convictions. I am, alas, completely unclear on what you're saying/implying/hallucinating, but that's OK. You don't owe me a clear answer. I hope things look up for you. You sound bitter.

Good luck

Sep. 28 2010 12:11 PM
Mr. Bad from NYC

@ licnyc from queens

Yes, that is the topic I was on until you started spouting off at the "mouth breathers" who were going to "get the shaft" voting against their own interest, unlike Obama who does it for our benefit only. I guess I am naive. The real topic is your ego and how many people you can smear with your reductive labels while maintaining a conversation with an inanimate object, or was that just another hackneyed quip? Get over yourself, insulting people who disagree with you while adding NOTHING of value to the debate is as childish as the straw men you continue to burn down for your own self aggrandizement.

Sep. 28 2010 12:08 PM

Truth of Becky: Please read many comments below. I am guessing you're Black. I don't know if you are African American or Haitian, or from teh Carribean or from Africa, but my guess is you're are Black.

I feel disgusted by what I am learning about Carl Paladino. Disgusted. I am equally disgusted by your comments regarding Jewish people. It's not as extreme, but your ire and anger and words are red flags to me too. I think you may be prejudice. Not racist, but have been hurt so badly that your mind is scarred and you see the need to lash out. your feelings are not packed with years of extreme oppression, but you must consider your comments. They obviously are very upsetting to people.

Sep. 28 2010 12:08 PM
The Truth from Becky

"stopthenonsense" now you feel the pain, now you can relate.

Sep. 28 2010 12:04 PM
Lauren from Brooklyn

It may not even be a matter of forwarding alone -- I've forwarded messages I find offensive with my own message attached: "Can you believe this?" "This is horrifying!" "What the hell?" etc. etc. It's the WAY that he forwards it that tells us whether he finds pleasure or pain in demeaning other people.

Isn't there something absolutely absurd about a job candidate baldly admitting bad judgment in applying for a job whose most primary required skill is judgment? Isn't that like hiring a chef who baldly admits to not tasting the food before serving it?

Sep. 28 2010 12:02 PM

Aneece: I think it's hopeless re: this poster. but well asked.

Sep. 28 2010 12:00 PM
Aneece from Brooklyn

p.s. sorry for all the misspelling (here/hear and your/you're errors). We all lose when we abuse the language. Mea culpa

Sep. 28 2010 11:59 AM
The Truth from Becky

"stopthenonsense" - Thanks for the typical response. It is what happens when you're exposed.

Sep. 28 2010 11:56 AM
Aneece from Brooklyn

O....k... Becky...

So...what were the hidden messages in this broadcast that only you could here? I honestly missed what you're referring to, and it's obvious that others did too. Can you clarify? Preferably without sweeping statements about Jews?

Sep. 28 2010 11:55 AM
licnyc from queens

@Mr.Bad

I thought the topic was the unqualified and racist Paladino. I guess if you can't provide a good argument try to shift focus. Thanks for re-affirming that he is as bas as you think Obama is. I am getting a better conversation from my door knob. Good luck with the hatred and bigotry.

Sep. 28 2010 11:53 AM

Truth: you rage with spite.

Sep. 28 2010 11:52 AM
The Truth from Becky

ANEECE, I was not speaking about the email it was the comment after and thank you for your input but I dont need you to tell me when to reel it in sweetie.

Sep. 28 2010 11:51 AM
BigMax

While I can understand people questioning Paladino's character, it ceases to amaze me how they can often wear blinders. While you are at it take a look at the two sex discrimination lawsuits that AG Cuomo "acquired" during his tenure at HUD. Or can we please get an answer as to where the $26 million in his coffers came from? Seems to me he has already been bought. Public Trust my arse, the choice NYers have been presented is poor at best. As for "professional politicians", I suggest reading Franklin's and Jefferson's opinions on extensive terms. No politician should serve in perpetuity. It offers too much insulation from the people they are elected to serve.

Sep. 28 2010 11:50 AM

Becky, please! "these Jews"? Come on! You don't see the plank of wood in your own eye? That is very hurtful.

Sep. 28 2010 11:49 AM
R. Smith from Brooklyn, NY

Say what you will about Bill Clinton's actions in office, but he wasn't hateful. I'm all for humor, but Paladino's is without tact, and hints at suspect biases -- to put it lightly. There are ways to talk about difference, comically, without being cruel.
The only thing Palladino is speaking to is peoples' frustration with politicians, elevating his political standing by taking advantage of voters' most base fears. This is happening all over the country.
If Mr. Lehrer were to take his callers to task, actually teasing out specifics from vague, generic comments, we could all have a conversation. Instead, callers get on the soapbox, and nothing is achieved.

Sep. 28 2010 11:48 AM
Mr.Bad from NYC

@ licnyc from queens

I read your entire idiotic comment, no need to reread it. Good luck with that doorknob, at least it won't walk away like everyone else.

Hypocrisy, intellectual or otherwise is important to point out when politicians hold themselves up as moral paragons in order to promote their policies.

Sep. 28 2010 11:46 AM
Carol Stewart from Bronx

I am offended also because Paladino's filth is explained, he believes because it's in the constuction industry. No way, women and and men in the constructive industries are decent, hard working and progressive.

Sep. 28 2010 11:45 AM
Dennie from anhattan

You need a sense of humor!? to understand Carl Paladino.You have got to be kidding! If I were a construction worker , I would be highly offended. This is the best New York can do? How sad for the country.

Sep. 28 2010 11:45 AM
Aneece from Brooklyn

Truth From Becky,

You are making no sense. The "hypothetical example" Brian used, where he refused to the use of the N word, is from an actual Paladino email. You're getting mad at Brian for reporting what actually happened, and your referring to "Italians and Jews" (sic) racism in a way that's highly charged. To be blunt, it sounds bigoted. Please reel it in.

Sep. 28 2010 11:44 AM
SMH from NJ

I am African American, and I don’t get any emails making jokes about Caucasians or any other race. And if I did, I would not tolerate it. I can just imagine what these people teach their children about other races… SMH

Sep. 28 2010 11:43 AM

the Truth of Becky and hmmm:

Are you listening to teh show?? Brian is not making an example, he was giving an actual SAMPLE of an ACTUAL email that was forwarded. He then gave an 'example' to teh female caller to see if she could get beyond her lack of ability to empathize with the depiction. He used an example of women to try and connect to this woman specifically.

It's doesn't suit any of us to assume someone is sub-human, or to depict something so sickening as a group of people running from a plane with a mean and mocking comment underneath, ANY more than it suits us to ASSUME everyone is like Paladino.

Sep. 28 2010 11:40 AM
Lauren from Brooklyn

It may not even be a matter of forwarding -- I've forwarded messages I find offensive with my own message attached: "Can you believe this?" "This is horrifying!" "What the hell?" etc. etc. It's the WAY that he forwards it that tells us whether he finds pleasure or pain in demeaning other people.

Sep. 28 2010 11:39 AM
Aneece

Mr Bad,

Paladino's racist policy proposals have been detailed again and again. If you don't know about them, it's because you don't want to know.

Sep. 28 2010 11:39 AM
Al Schlesinger from Morristown JN

Linden Johnson was no doubt as crude as Paladino but was highly successful in achieving his agenda; Jack Kennedy brought mistresses into the White House but is still revered as a political Saint by many; Clinton commited unspeakable acts in the White House, perjured himself and was impeached; but balanced the budget and spurred the economy; the question should be whether he can clean up the mess created by the crooks and chattering classes in Albany; not whether he is a nice, moral man

Sep. 28 2010 11:39 AM
licnyc from queens

@Mr.Bad from NYC re-read the part about kindergarten ethics- just because Obama did something.... I'll go talk to a door knob now.

Sep. 28 2010 11:39 AM
The Truth from Becky

Sneaky evil little trolls hiding behind the 1st amendment.

Sep. 28 2010 11:38 AM
JT from LI

To the woman that called to defend Paladino (I forget her name): How would you feel if your husband was sending these emails out? Would you just laugh it off and let him continue? Would you forward them yourself? It isn't a big deal, right?

Sep. 28 2010 11:37 AM
The Truth from Becky

Truth is, I don't listen to your show, Brian or watch Glenn Becks show because I enjoy what either of you have to say or your guests but instead to keep my ear open for what is being said about the Black community when you guys think we are not listening. The fact is that there are more of us listening that you think dude but all won't put their feelings in print like I am doing even though they disagree with you. We are not fooled or fools.

Sep. 28 2010 11:36 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Being in construction is no excuse. I worked for the EPA back in the '70s, & 1 of the department heads was from the construction industry. Casey was one of the sweetest guys I've ever worked with, & I never saw him show any disrespect for anyone, of any race or either sex. What I liked best about him was that he never learned the language--by which I mean he didn't talk like a bureaucrat!

Sep. 28 2010 11:36 AM
Ray

I voted for Paladino as a joke!
Every day people slam Obama for not creating enough jobs - and Paladino's announces he's going to slash 60k jobs in New York. Right, that makes perfect sense.

Sep. 28 2010 11:35 AM

Paladino makes me think that the Tea Party wants to bankrupt the state morally as well as financially.

Sep. 28 2010 11:35 AM

StopTheNonsense
i agree. my friends and family know better than to sent junk like that to me. on the other hand i don't work in construction. i wonder what's on don trumps hard drive....

Sep. 28 2010 11:35 AM
Unheard from NYC

Clif you got it right. Maybe Paladino is as accepting as Jesus would be and these emails are just a ploy to appeal to bigots. Its gotta be a big demo and they'll easily believe that it's the poor that are taking from them instead of the rich.

Sep. 28 2010 11:34 AM
Mr.Bad from NYC

@ licnyc from queens

Yes, Obama was bragging about how brilliant he was because he was also voting against his own interest (taxes on those over 250K) but I guess when he does it its somehow "smarter", right?

Sep. 28 2010 11:33 AM
Theresa from Brooklyn

I find it appalling that in this day and age and in our state being openly sexist, racist and classless is perfectly acceptable in the eyes of the electorate.

Larger than any other issue we are facing in that we have forgotten how to hold our elected officials to a higher standard and have become complacent with choosing the lesser of two evils.

If you knowingly vote for a sexist, racist, *ist individual, you support that agenda and those policies. Respect for fellow human beings is bigger than the slight variations in policy between Dems and Republicans. Vote no to bigotry.

Sep. 28 2010 11:32 AM
The Truth from Becky

MIKE D - that is the wrong question. Why don't you want to know why there have NOT been any controversy of racist emails about whites being forwarded from the Black community?

Sep. 28 2010 11:32 AM
CL from New York

To the extent that Paladino's supporters continue to demonstrate their own questionable character in call-in shows such as this, Cuomo shouldn't be too worried.

Sep. 28 2010 11:31 AM
gary g from nyc

listening to Paladino supporters that think he will walk in and take over NY politics,
folks remember Arnold Schwarzenegger became governor in CA, his first 2 years wre useless because he had no political savvy,
the state house representatives totally shut him out,
the same will happen to Paladino...
he will get NOTHING done...

Sep. 28 2010 11:31 AM
Mr.Bad from NYC

I disagree that "forwarding" an email is equivalent to agreeing with its contents, that's obviously not true. I would agree that he probably, at the very least, didn't think it was big deal, which may be a valid point to make especially for an elected official but a joke is a joke is a joke - if it was some sort of racist policy initiative or if he even one time could be shown to have made a racist decision in hiring or housing or a some other important area than that would be enough to write him off forever.

Sep. 28 2010 11:31 AM
Marianne from Manhattan

If he had forwarded emails joking about child molestation, would he still get a pass?

If not, how is this different than emails joking about killing blacks?

Sep. 28 2010 11:30 AM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

Why are some voters so sure that Paladino will follow through or be able to accomplish this so-called "slash-and-burn" to NYS politics?

He's a political novice, so there's a good chance he won't know how to go about it.

Sep. 28 2010 11:30 AM
clif from Mid town

That last caller "Brian" is a great example of why our system is so screwed up! He is so brainwashed and ignorant that he thinks racist and sexist jokes are funny!? He also seems to have "Stockholm Syndrom" where he has begun to relate and identify with the very people and/or system that is oppressing him/us.

Sep. 28 2010 11:29 AM
Katie Kennedy from Huntington, NY

One of your callers refered to Cuomo as a "true politican." Would someone please explain to me what is wrong with a "true politician," or a "professional politician"? That's their job. Why do voters think that a professional politican is bad? Maybe they pick their doctors by their non-professionalism and inexperience. How about an untrue accountant or banker. Most of the voting public is so ignorant.

Sep. 28 2010 11:29 AM
Ken from Little Neck

Judging by the way the last caller presented himself, I don't want politicians speaking and acting the way normal people would over a beer. If that last caller was at all representative of "normal" that's a very sad indictment of our culture and politics.

Sep. 28 2010 11:29 AM

i just don't understand the people of this country.

Sep. 28 2010 11:29 AM
Mike D

What if this were a black or latino sending out racist emails about white people? Would it be a big deal to the repubs?

Sep. 28 2010 11:28 AM
Unheard from NYC

I don't get any of these emails. What are these people talking about? If you get these emails it indicates something other than you have a sense of humor.

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM

Love your sense of humor, caller Frank. Got any AIDS jokes you'd like to share?

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM
Elise from Marine Park

At this point, this country and especially our state, needs someone smart at the helm. We need smart, creative ideas to move forward. In my opinion, someone who does something as stupid as pass on an unsavory email when they are politically minded is just plain stupid. Get him out of there

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM
licnyc from queens

Because whatever Clinton did is good reason to hire a racist boob into the governors office. Its called kindergarten ethics. Like you might have to explain to a 5 year old, just because clinton did it doesn't make it right. All these open mouth breathers voting for him are going to get the shaft if he does get into office. Its amazing how many geniuses vote against their own interest.

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM
The Truth from Becky

Sick of these Jews and Italians racists "jokes" ..using sense of humor as an excuse to slander a whole race of people. Cowards.

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM
M. L.

Re: Matt from Brooklyn, Maybe I should consider myself lucky that I don't receive e-mails like the ones Paladino has forwarded. If I were to receive such an e-mail from someone, I'd strongly reconsider whether or not that person were a "friend" or someone I'd want to associate with.

Sep. 28 2010 11:27 AM
hmmm?

@ The Truth from Becky

thank you, as I sit here listening I was thinking the same thing and waiting on Brian or another caller to use another obvious example...

Sep. 28 2010 11:26 AM

You cannot ignore a man's perspective of the human race when he is running for an office that works for the will of the people.

People KNEW Hitler was an anti-Semite, and nobody stopped him or said anything.

And I NEVER get emails like this!!! I don't know people who would post these things.

Sep. 28 2010 11:25 AM
Nicole

Carl Paladino is 64 years old... too damn old to be making these so called "errors". This is exactly the way he feels, and at this stage in his life it likely won't change. He's doesn't walk on water, but if he has these beliefs, he's not able to be representative of the entire electorate. Say what you want and believe what you will, but stay out of public office.

Sep. 28 2010 11:25 AM
Christina from Manhattan

Doesn't Paladino having New York State as a client totally disqualify him for public office as a complete conflict of interest?

Caller - speak for yourself. Yes "WE" do care about these issues, just because you don't doesn't mean everyone is as sleazy as you

Sep. 28 2010 11:25 AM
matt from queens

i don't believe that "this year is different" -- as brian and others continue to say here. at least not fundamentally so. it just goes to show that people are very ready to blame our broken oligarchy on race.

Sep. 28 2010 11:25 AM
john from office

Part of the appeal is that people are tired of making excuses for those who refuse to work or better themselves. Just hanging on the corner waiting for the welfare check.

Sep. 28 2010 11:24 AM
The Truth from Becky

John borrow it from the latino or white community.

Sep. 28 2010 11:24 AM
M. L.

How effective of a politician would Paladino be if he were racist or sexist? As a woman of color, I would not want to work with someone like him, and I don't see how he could be an effective governor if he continues to alienate as many people as he has.

Sep. 28 2010 11:24 AM
Unheard from NYC

What work and file Republicans and right leaning Independents seem to be missing in Paladino's offensive email history is that it indicates a contempt for those with less than him. If he wasn't offended by these emails I wonder what else doesn't bother him. Taking large sums of money from the government certainly isn't one of them.

Sep. 28 2010 11:24 AM
Matt from Brooklyn

Brian,
Everyone has an uncle or two that enjoys and forwards these emails, and the rest of the family rolls their eyes, but if you add all those uncles up, it makes enough people to sway a Republican primary. A vote for Paladino is a validation of personal behavior - these men and women want to feel that it's OK to like these emails. They are sick of people rolling their eyes and telling them that what they think is funny is wrong and racist. "He's like me, he thinks this is funny too."

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM
annie from Bronx

Paladino is getting a pass solely because most of his venom is directed at Black people, whom he and most republicans obviously don't care anything about, and who so easily disrespect our President mainly because he is Black.

This is indicative of the backwards direction this country is headed in.

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM

how can one compare having sex at the office with racism?

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM

jennifer: Right?? 100% agree.

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM
foofoo

Paladino seems to want people to think he's this 'I am just like you down-to-earth guy' perhaps a bit extreme. Here is a not so 'extreme' intepretation of his e-mails: racist, mysogonistic, sleezy, arrogant, etc... Should we have these 'extremes' running our state? I think not.

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM
Jay from manhattan

Politicians typically lack character in a sneaky way where they have cultivated a fake polished image and persona that hides their dishonesty and thirst for power. It's refreshing to see a candidate whose character deficiencies are so simple and obviously irrelevant to his ability to govern.

Sep. 28 2010 11:23 AM
deepurple from Mount Vernon

His character doesn't matter because he is the true face of racism in this state and country. The population majority is becoming minorities so the past majority's true face comes out of hiding.

Sep. 28 2010 11:22 AM
Bill

Brian,

The "interesting choice of words" you referred to just now I'm assuming were the caller's use of the phrase "to call a spade a spade," which is frequently erroneously cited as having racist provenance. It does not.

And regarding the note at the end of the entry: don't avoid its use to avoid the confusion, use it defiantly so's not to ratify the confusion.

Sep. 28 2010 11:22 AM
Aneece from Brooklyn

I love all these "true independents" who somehow, mysteriously, vote 98% Republican. It's a rhetorical ploy, and it's embarrassing.

Sep. 28 2010 11:22 AM
Susan from New York

If you vote for a racist and sexist knowingly, then you have to consider yourself one as well.

Sep. 28 2010 11:22 AM

Upstate loves Palladino -- no one cares about his email choices. And Republicans love racist jokes. Hey, it's just fun, right? Everyone send emails with bestiality and sex acts. Like the woman caller said, it's merely "stupid." Like when the jocks picked on the smart kids in high school. They're only playing, man! Don't get upset and be a wimp!

Sep. 28 2010 11:21 AM
john from office

We need classes in wearing a belt in the black community, tired of the underwear show.

Sep. 28 2010 11:21 AM
Helena from Bergen County NJ

keep in mind he SHARED the e-mails, he didn't get them and delete them, he SHARED the messages with many people because he thought they were "funny" ...the "poor judgement" is in finding offensive material acceptable, not in forwarding it to people .
it should be a deal breaker, absolutely.

Sep. 28 2010 11:21 AM
Jonathan from Manhattan

Forwarding an email is an active decision in agreement with said email. When someone twitters or updates their status message with a link it is the person agreeing with said link. When we forward things it is an extension of what we believe. He is crude, racist and a mysogynist. Those who defend them are at a concious or subconcious level, the same as him. Does it mean he can't run? No. Does it mean he shouldn't win? Yes.

Sep. 28 2010 11:20 AM
Ryan from Manhattan

Brian,
We have a longstanding tradition in out country of SHUTTING DOWN public figures who take intolerant stances on race. It isn't a legal matter, we just insist that as a nation we move forward in ending discrimination. This election and the tea party signifies and end to that sentiment...

Sep. 28 2010 11:20 AM
jawbone from Parsippany

Is New York going to end up with its very own Jesse Ventura?

Altho' that may be unfair to Ventura -- Was Jesse as uncouth and willing to indulge in racist jokes as Paladino was (is?)?

Yikes -- all these callers who think indulging in attacks on minorities or women is no big whoop are kind of scary to me. Guess any port in an economic storm?

BTW, a man having a sexual liaison with an individual woman is not indicating he holds groups of the population in low regard.

Sep. 28 2010 11:20 AM
The Truth from Becky

It is painfully clear that racism will NEVER go away in this country.

Sep. 28 2010 11:20 AM
Joanne Penn from NJ

It's not a matter of "receiving" the emails but he actively "forwarded" the emails. People only forward items that they want to share with their friends.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM
Merrill Clark from New York

I learned from Clinton and his antics with Monica Lewinsky that the critics tended not to politically agree with him; those who did not criticize or stood up for him politically agreed with him. I guess there are people on the fence who are persuaded by one's bad behaviour; otherwise, it is political beliefs first and bad behavior second.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM
jennifer from ny

I think we all know.....

When you foward an email, unless you voice your reason for doing so as disagreeing with it, you are endorsing it.

Period.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM
Jay from Norwalk

Sorry but It says that there are a lot of racist in NY state. No decent person could not be offended by his emails. They're inexcusable!! And to the caller who says that the emails are OK because many people forward these types of emails- shes a racist too. Notice the people who are not offended - none of these people where featured in the emails.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM

When will the day come when we will not even give these sorts of people the air to speak?

Clinton vrs Palandino?? Having an affair is no where near as bad as displaying racist, dehumanizing sentiments towards other human beings.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM
Mike from Manhattan

Paladino's support among Republican's this year shows how low the common denominator has sunk among the minority of voters who show up for the primary election. Surprising? No, but then I'm from Indiana.

Sep. 28 2010 11:19 AM
John from Manhattan

Oh Brian, you tender-skinned priss. Who cares if he circulated that crapola on email? It doesn't matter one whit to me.

What does matter is that Paladino is thimble-headed blankity blank and that is why I would never vote for Paladino if my life depended on it. He is an inferior candidate, plain and simple.

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
licnyc from queens

Nice- its the racist bigots call in hour.

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
Pontif Pauli

These callers are very funny (and sound like infomercial actors).

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
The Truth from Becky

Stop using the Black Community as your got scape goat!

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
Patricia from NYC

Your caller Barbara is a racist.

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

As I understand it he "forwarded" some racist/sexist/whateverist emails he received from someone else to some other friends, he didn't originate them. I think that does matter, I get questionable "joke" emailz all the time, I don't usually forward them but if he did whose to say how much he agreed with the sentiments? In the end it doesn't matter to me. I think that there is a big difference from making an offensive joke and the KKK, the real story is that this guy can win and this is the only thing they have on Paladino so Brian will be reading from this script for the next several weeks.

Sep. 28 2010 11:18 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

Brian, maybe a lot of republicans don't mind Palladino's emails because they agree with their content

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
John from office

Brian you can say the N word, other guest have used it.

Clinton got oral sex in the oval office from an intern, that was ok

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
Jesse

It's not "oh, he's human like the rest of us." I'm plenty human, and I would NEVER think that what he did was ok. It's pretty much antisocial behavior, and if he gets elected, he gets elected, but he's clearly a DISGUSTING person.

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
Robert from NYC

Yet another embarrassment in politics to us Italian Americans. Trust me we are not all like these very racist, pathetic personalities (and we're not all mafia either, BTW) but it never seems to amaze me how, when it comes to immigration in particular, they forget that their grand parents or parents were immigrants who underwent some of the more horrible discriminations when they arrived here (and it goes on today too-that mafia thing in particular). Think particularly not only of this idiot but Tancredi, Giuliani, even the honorable(?) Scalia, intra alia. I'm getting nauseous listing them.

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
Eric K from Brooklyn

It has been my political life long dream to have a candidate who is politically incorrect, doesn't follow the script, shakes up the system, and represents those who don't follow the socio-political constructs of America "just because that's how it is".

Unfortunately, in 2010, the closest we have to this are right wing fringe candidates like Paladino and Christine O'Donnell. This is more akin to letting the inmates running the asylum than anything else.

I can't wait to go to the Jon Stewart rally.

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
TK from Brooklyn

NY government is a failure. Anger is fueling the public and it is bringing out the worst of everyone -- racism, sexism and classism. We need a solution for sure. Paladino is just another guy who is angry and he happens to be rich. He's not a good person, but most other politicians are just like him, just not publicized as much.

Sep. 28 2010 11:17 AM
moo from manhattan

I'll say it - the people who voted for paladino are probably a little racist. he's an oaf. they don't mind oafs. I wouldn't want to vote for an oaf, but they did. values voters.

Sep. 28 2010 11:16 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

I don't even like Paladino, but given the character of the last three . . . . characters who held NYS's governor's seat, Paladino has little to be concerned about. Who should be ashamed are the voters of NYS. We vote for losers, and act surprised when they prove to be losers. How hypocritical.

Sep. 28 2010 11:16 AM
Xtina from Manhattan

The only thing worse than sending those emails, if it's possible, is his rationale for it. That he's in the construction industry and he's human? JUST LIKE YOU???? What does that mean? Is he implying I've done similar things. Any consideration I might have given him is retracted with that.

Sep. 28 2010 11:15 AM
Patricia from FH

No only are his poltics off but his character is disgusting. Republicans have no right to be so high and mighty. They don't have a moral leg to stand on.

Sep. 28 2010 11:14 AM
Jane from Manhattan

how tiresome at this point. I've heard this from Brian almost every day in the past two weeks at this point. enough of the distractions, lets get to solutions.

Sep. 28 2010 11:13 AM
Nick in NYC from Inwood

Paladino said "I apologized to those whowere offended" - he needs to explained why he was not offended - and I challenge any of your callers who support him to do the same - explain why these items are NOT offensive.

Sep. 28 2010 11:13 AM
Steve from nyc

I am glad Paladino was nominated simply because it shows the entrenched lifetime politocos how upset and serious the electorate is in showing them the door!

Sep. 28 2010 11:13 AM
JT from LI

I also think what's changed is the republican party. The right has become more hypocritical over the last few decades. Since the Clinton years they've brushed off their indiscretions while condemning the democrats. Just look at the attacks on Clinton from republicans while they themselves were having extramarital affairs.

Sep. 28 2010 11:12 AM
Pat Weber Sones from Red Hook, Brooklyn

Worst of his hypocrisies: claiming to be against big government policies and handouts, while making at least part of his fortune on NYS government contracts for millions of dollars awarded to his real estate businesses and holdings in Buffalo. Awful.

Sep. 28 2010 11:12 AM

oh, also, why are we ignoring the mistress and love child he has admitted to having? oh republicans with high morals must love this joker.

Sep. 28 2010 11:11 AM

true. period. please remove this man from ny public life.

Sep. 28 2010 11:07 AM
Leslie Harris MD from Brooklyn, NY

The media needs to be more forthcoming with holding Paladino face and properly respond to his actions (this show and Bob Herbert excluded).

His actions are reprehensible, racist, sexist and his attitude is arrogant. Just walk out your door, he has offended anyone you walk past (if you live in the boroughs).

He cannot and will not represent New York State.

Sep. 28 2010 11:05 AM
g.e.Taylor from Bklyn., NY

IMO: Paladino's political character is questionable; apart from the issues of wanton bad taste being waved like a bloody shirt by his oh-so politically correct and delicate opponents.

Paladino portrays himself as the hero of the "we-don't-need-so-much-government" electorate.

But his solution for the ("in-the-vicinity-of") Ground Zero Islamist Arc de Triomphe is government imposed "eminent domain".
I might reconsider a vote for Palidino if he could clearly and unambiguously forswear that solution, and all similar collectivist strategies.
Otherwise I'm voting for someone else.

Sep. 28 2010 11:03 AM
Robert

It did not seem to matter to the media or the voters when they elected Hevesi four years ago.

Sep. 28 2010 11:02 AM
JT from LI

The fact that the right has embraced Paladino shows that their only goal is winning, not fixing NY as they claim. Imagine how the right would react if anyone on the left had written even one of Paladino's emails.

Sep. 28 2010 10:29 AM

not only does he think watching women have sex with animals is funny, he can't man up and defend himself.

Sep. 28 2010 10:22 AM