Lazio Out of Governor's Race

Monday, September 27, 2010

Former Rep. Rick Lazio said he will not pursue a gubernatorial campaign along the conservative party line, but stopped short of endorsing the man who beat him in the Republican primary, seemingly warning of Carl Paladino's "outrageous promises" and lack of policy specifics.

Lazio, appearing in the Sheraton hotel in midtown with his wife, described his "evolutionary" decision to withdraw from the race following the Sept. 14 defeat, saying in the days that followed, he had thought he could put together a "viable" campaign. Ultimately, he said, that was not possible.

"Although I'd like to think I could do what Jim Buckley did forty years ago running on the Conservative Party line, and while my heart beckons me forward, my head tells me that my continued presence on the Conservative line would simply lead to the election of Andrew Cuomo and the continuation of an entrenched political machine," said Lazio, referring to the leading Democratic gubernatorial candidate. "I do not want to be responsible for that."

In explaining his decision to remain neutral, Paladino said both major party candidates are "flawed...but this is the choice that we have."

The entirety of Lazio's remarks seemed to be aimed at Paladino, warning voters not to let sweeping rhetoric and raging emotions guide the decisions in November.

"Neither raw emotions, nor empty slogans and false promises are the solutions" Lazio said. "I understand that people are angry. I get the whole primal scream thing." He added, "In my view, this anger will not go away until jobs are restored and until decent ethical leaders return to our state capital."

More Updates: Azi Paybarah's Blog | It's A Free Country Twitter | Azi Paybarah Twitter

What do you make of Lazio's decision? How does this change the governor's race for you?

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

MATTHEW BORENSTEIN from NYC

Why doesn't wnyc hold debates/discussions with ALL the candidates including Barron, & the Green party's Howie Hawkins? Isn't that the job of a PUBLIC radio station?

Sep. 28 2010 03:10 PM
Bob from Pelham, NY

Mr. Lazio thinks the private market always rewards success and distributes wealth better than the government? As I recall, he failed spectacularly in his senate race, then was rewarded with a very high-paying job with JPMorgan/Chase although he had no experience in the banking industry. I guess if someone paid me a million-dollar bonus for my connections after I lost my job, I would be an ardent believer in the infallibility of the market's invisible hand as well.

Sep. 28 2010 12:03 PM

what do we know about this Nan Hayworth running in the 19th?

Sep. 28 2010 10:53 AM
scnex from bx

up-state, down-state - to the former when your political census is constructed of the bodies of the latter and your issuance is taxation what are you taxing by economic slavery-

a small populist dictating an agenda of hate... now, that is justice...

Sep. 28 2010 10:27 AM
Don from Long Island

Given that both established parties will fight to keep themselves in power, it sounds like Mr. Lazio is suggesting that we (the voters) abandon the two party system in New York. Is that what he is suggesting?

Sep. 28 2010 10:18 AM

is the BL comments board being phased out??

Sep. 28 2010 10:18 AM
Robert from NYC

Good! Next segment please....

Sep. 28 2010 10:02 AM
BrendoNYC from Upper West Side

I personally believe that Rick Lazio shouldn't run for any office again, ever. The fact that the state Republican party thought he should be their candidate demonstrates that they, too, should be disqualified from wielding power for at least a decade. (How is it that we seem to have forgotten the disgraceful manipulation of the state legislature in the last two years?)

That said, I am saddened to hear that Lazio is pulling out of the race. Every day that Rick Lazio is in the news, in any way, is a day that I can feel a little better about myself; no matter how disappointing or meager my life or accomplishments may seem, I can be glad that at least I'm not a half-wit empty suit who is like Long Island's version of Dan Quayle.

It is ironic that he was displaced by a "Tea Party" candidate, since every time he opens his mouth, he seems to be a deluded child pretending to be a politician, a serious candidate, a responsible adult.

Sep. 27 2010 12:13 PM