30 Issues Cont'd: Money, Politics, and Citizens United

True/False: Money is the Root of Everything That's Wrong in Politics

Friday, September 24, 2010

Peter Overby, NPR's power, money and influence correspondent, and Bill Allison, editorial director of the Sunlight Foundation Reporting Group, take a look at campain finance spending on a national level and talks about how the Citizens United ruling could impact upcoming elections.

Bill Allison and Peter Overby

g.e.Taylor from Bklyn., NY

@Marcelo from Park Slope:

Marcelo:

Your saying that the Bible teaching is that "People who LOVE money" rather than "People who HAVE money." are the people we need full disclosure of?

Sep. 24 2010 01:13 PM
Derek from 42nd & Lex

FACT: We need more congress memebers and smaller congressional districts to reduce the power of individual Congress members. We need proportional representation - REPEAL PUBLIC LAW 62-5 and 1929 REAPPORTIONEMNT ACT. We need more House representatives, 435 is not sufficient with 300 million people. Please visit http://www.thirty-thousand.org/ and http://www.publiclaw62-5.org for more information.

Sep. 24 2010 11:54 AM
Matt

I think the show could almost be called "do corn, oil & health care" determine politics, since those seem to be the dominant lobbies.

But that aside, I think money determines politics in so far as it can stay under the radar. Once a line is crossed, like say, when the whole economy collapses because of bad mortgages, and big bank bonuses and what not, anger & backlash start becoming more of a force.

p.s. why does WNYC keep making its website more difficult to use?

Sep. 24 2010 11:51 AM
Robert from NYC

Sometimes there are things of which I'm happy to be ignorant... then segments like this come along awaken me and I'm taken aback and shocked, and it seems difficult to believe anything could shock and stun in these times, but they do.
I always say if one can find holes in a law or rule, then they were intentionally put there to use.

Sep. 24 2010 11:42 AM
Marcelo from Park Slope

I'm not a religious person, but I was actually looking at the origin of the expression "money is the root of all evil" and it was interesting to find that the phrase comes from the bible and is actually slightly different. The original phrase reads, "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil". I find this kind of profound. :)

Sep. 24 2010 11:41 AM
Ryan from Manhattan

Money is half of all political evil... consecutive terms of office are the other. Remove moneyed interests and make lawmakers take a 4 year break between terms and we'll have a different country... a good one

Sep. 24 2010 11:40 AM
Jack Jackson from Central NJ

Interesting segment...but what I want to know is how do we get undisclosed private money out of politics altogether.

I want a corporate tax of 3% to funds public election campaigns. Tax form check offs are fine but no more having candidates chase after money. No more highest bidder outcomes in our legislatures.

Which state has the best public financing law? What's good and what is bad about they way they have implemented them.

Sep. 24 2010 11:27 AM