It’s Thursday, that’s our day to talk technology here on The Takeaway. And it’s also December 31st, the last day of the year to give to a charity if you want to deduct your donation from your taxes. This is a big week for charities who rely on online giving. Last year at this time, donors made nearly five times as many contributions compared to an average week, and their gifts were nearly 60% larger than usual.
Stacy Palmer, editor of The Chronicle of Philanthropy, says this is crucial time for many charities, but only the most savvy at utilizing the power of a great website and social networking tools will reap most of the benefits today. Deyan Vitanov, CEO of the philanthropy navigator site Philanthropedia.org says that's exactly why he helped found their website, so people who want to give have many choices online.
Below, a list of sites Stacy Palmer recommends if you want to give to a charity online before the year ends.
- Charity Navigator • http://www.charitynavigator.org/
- Philanthropedia • http://www.myphilanthropedia.org/
- The Better Business Bureau • http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews
- Guide Star • http://www2.guidestar.org/
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy • http://philanthropy.com/