Sarah Palin’s Sound and Fury

Friday, September 17, 2010

Vanity Fair writer Michael Joseph Gross discusses the paradox of Sarah Palin. As the public voice grows louder, she has become increasingly secretive, walling herself off from old friends and associates, and attempting to enforce silence from those around her. Gross’s article “Sarah Palin’s Sound and Fury” is in the October issue of Vanity Fair.

Michael Joseph Gross
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

gaetano catelli from Greenpernt, Crooklyn

i'm glad the 'Mafia' was brought up. (it wouldn't be WNYC otherwise.)

Sep. 19 2010 07:53 PM
gaetano catelli from Greenpernt, Crooklyn

Sarah Palin loses her temper in private!?!

wow -- that's the most shocking revelation i've ever heard about a public figure!

Sep. 19 2010 07:42 PM
Tommy from Brooklyn

Yawn... *Click*

Sep. 17 2010 03:56 PM
JP from NJ

Paulson from Westchester,

Please don’t call her governor. She does not deserve that title because she quit before fulfilling her duties as governor that the fine citizens of Alaska elected her to do. That’s not a smear, that’s a fact.

Sep. 17 2010 03:33 PM
Paulson from Westchester

The Left shows its true character with an ungly, wack-job smear of Gov. Palin with spurious 'friend of the family' sources. Abysmal journalism -- and a sign of desperation.

Sep. 17 2010 03:10 PM
Steve from NYC

To anonyme:

I don't think Oprah is much of an alternative to Palin. She also too easily believes her own press releases -- another creation of our star-obsessed culture of celebrity worship. Who can take Oprah seriously when she described being refused entry to Hermes in Paris after closing hours as the most humiliating experience of her life? REALLY? So where does being sexually abused at a young age by a family member rank on your humiliation spectrum?

Like Palin, Oprah is so full of herself she might explode at any moment. Pandering to the public doesn't require much in the way of brains. Oprah's done it by giving away cars and vacations to audience members. Sarah's done it with a pretty face and by exploiting people's fears and not much else.

If it takes another woman to counter the inexplicable influence of the monumentally vapid Sarah Palin (Not-So-Plain But Stupid), there are plenty of INTELLIGENT women out there. Elizabeth Warren is an excellent example.

Sep. 17 2010 03:02 PM
Ceejay from Westchester

Miles O'Brien - super job this week.
Hey, you're good at this!

Sep. 17 2010 02:26 PM

Andy B, '...biased hatchet jobs like this...' Did we listen to the same interview? I think you may be under Palin's spell...

Sep. 17 2010 01:39 PM
anonyme

Steve from NYC - very well put - it isn't just about Palin, it's about that relationship with her masses that is scary - and the sad thing is, Hitler would not have gone anywhere without the help of self interested outside investors who backed him. Somebody needs to come forward and give her a rival for the hearts and minds of those who feel left out of America. (Draft Oprah???)

Sep. 17 2010 01:07 PM
Andy B. from New York City

Scraping the surface - or the bottom of the barrel?

Sep. 17 2010 12:58 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Becky, if you only knew me, I am such a DOUBLE-EGED sword.

You should see my Sarah parodies.

(No, the funny ones-I do have class.)

Sep. 17 2010 12:46 PM
Andy B. from New York City

It is one thing to present a reasoned debate over policy issues, but giving this kind of sludge airtime makes WNYC resemble the National Enquirer.

"Heard a rumor that someone said that Sarah Palin threw some tin cans at a refrigerator".

My 4th grade daughter could do a more intelligent research job on Sarah Palin.

Sep. 17 2010 12:45 PM

perhaps the more "fantastical" the palin stories that make her out to be a supernaturally awful person, just feeds the interest in this woman who is vapid and without substance - but she isn't this greater than life awful, torrid person. She's nothing...she can't even complete sentences as we saw in the CBS interview '08

Sep. 17 2010 12:45 PM
Xtina from E. Village

Gary, yes, I guess if you go for the whacked out loony tunes look.

Sep. 17 2010 12:42 PM
The Truth from Becky

Ok Liam then lust away!...lol

Sep. 17 2010 12:41 PM
anonyme

All this talk of her beauty - I don't see it - look at someone like Michelle Obama or Segolene Royal - I don't think she's all that pretty!

Sep. 17 2010 12:41 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

KP go back to the Kitchen and Patrol it.
Don't swallow the whole story so easily.
I don't know Sarah-but, the truth is like Peter Seeger sang it-it comes through the cracks.

I wouldn't say she is DORIAN GRAY.

Sep. 17 2010 12:41 PM
anonyme

the committment people seem to have to SP remind me of those who loved their furher - really they do - and she is emotional and hateful (sneering rather than inspiring) - i am hoping people will start hearing this - also how about eh afridan episcopalian bishop (proest) who has sort of anointed her future leader?

Sep. 17 2010 12:38 PM
kp from nj

Sarah is like Dorian Gray....Some of us clearly see the truth in her 'portrait' and some of us are content just to look at the beautiful face and not see the ugliness within...

Sep. 17 2010 12:38 PM
The Truth from Becky

Andy...don't do it, just pretend we are at a tea party thingy.

Sep. 17 2010 12:37 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Are there no beautiful sexy liberal pundits?

Maybe, Maureen Dowd?

Oh, wait, she is sensible, not Liberal.

Sep. 17 2010 12:37 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

I LOVE HER!

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!

Don't worry, Becky, I'd never ever vote for her, unless, she came over to coax me.

Sep. 17 2010 12:36 PM
Dale from Manhattan

I worked for a contractor offering support services to the Republicans during their convention here in New York. I spent the convention at The Roosevelt Hotel and talked to a lot of the delegates and the staff there.

In fairness to Sarah Palin I should point out that the Republican delegates and their people were notoriously lousy tippers. She sounds pretty typical.

Sep. 17 2010 12:35 PM
JP from NJ

I don’t care if this guy made up every word in his article. Just listen to her speak for more then 30 seconds and you cannot deny she is pure evil and pure anti American…. She is all about the political machine she says she’s fighting against.

Sep. 17 2010 12:35 PM
The Truth from Becky

I am stopping short of calling her an American terrorist but, she did say "don't retreat, reload"...I'm just sayin'...

Sep. 17 2010 12:35 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Actually, I voted for both bushes (small 'b').

But, you grow-voted for Obama last election and became a Democrat, but, one with sense I hope-don't swallow the whole LEFT WING agenda either.

Sep. 17 2010 12:34 PM
D Eaves from Hell's Kitchen

While I thought the article was mostly well written and reported, I did find some of the material excessive and unnecessary-- can Gross explain including Palin's purchase of pairs of Spanx along with her RNC wardrobe as a relevant fact? It felt cheap to me, and not illuminating of any further aspect of Palin's character.

Sep. 17 2010 12:34 PM
David

I believe that the term "death panels" was the invention of Betsy McCaughey; Sarah Palin adopting the term is inexcusable but it is grounded in an academic's publications.

It's really horrifying to me that people want to elect Sarah Palin because of her looks. That's how we got George W. Bush. What had he accomplished in his previous job as Governor? I think Sarah Palin is cut from the same cloth as "W" -- all surface.

Sep. 17 2010 12:34 PM
rick

I can't stand S. Palin but listening to this segment is even more painful.

Sep. 17 2010 12:34 PM
The Truth from Becky

Liam you have been glamoured.

Sep. 17 2010 12:33 PM
K W from Manhattan

This author honestly believes that the government won't be involved in end of life decisions under the health care bill, is either a complete liar or utterly dim-witted.

Sep. 17 2010 12:33 PM
Stephen of Bedford from bedford ny

How is that liberals see no redeeming factors will conservatives see a political ideal. and isnt this similar to how people see President Obama

Sep. 17 2010 12:33 PM
Steve from NYC

Palin may be the most dangerous public figure to emerge since Adolf Hitler. Like Palin, Hitler's speeches fed into the German public's worst fears and he wouldn't allow his beliefs to be questioned. He learned to control the press and also was ruthless in dealing with his enemies.

Sep. 17 2010 12:32 PM
The Truth from Becky

It is not a good sign but a true indicator that a lot of you here mention her outward attractiveness. She is ugly inside.

Sep. 17 2010 12:32 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Maybe, she is the Anti-Conservative...or worse!

Sep. 17 2010 12:32 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Who wants facts?

Sarah puts on a bikini and the American male melts.

Sep. 17 2010 12:31 PM
Andy B. from New York City

I am an independent and neither strongly support nor oppose Sarah Palin- but hearing nasty, biased hatchet jobs like this - full of spiteful gossip and innuendo makes me want to vote for her simply to spite people like this Vanity Fair writer.

Sep. 17 2010 12:31 PM
Andy B. from New York City

Sep. 17 2010 12:30 PM
The Truth from Becky

Michael, where have you been all my life??? I appreciate what you are doing, trying to open the eyes of all who have been "glamoured" by Sarah Palin. She is dangerous, she is an America radical and a rabblerouser. she spouts falsehoods and the people that follower her rely on what she says and never bother to educate themselves with facts.

Sep. 17 2010 12:28 PM
Stephen Loges from Manhattan

Palin's appeal is that women want to look like her -- especially at her age -- and men want to have sex with her. Period. She is the political equivalent of Paris Hilton.

Sep. 17 2010 12:26 PM
Jaime Viñas

Liam,
You probably liked George Bush too: Folksy guy I could have a beer with... and look what he did to our country.
Palin is dangerous. Raking in the millions on the back of her narrow minded supporters.

Sep. 17 2010 12:23 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Hard to tell who is truthful here.
The liberals don't like uninformed people.

Sarah is small town on a large scale.
The sociologists in their BRAVE NEW WORLD want to dissect her and her kind.

Kind of cruel, really.

Sep. 17 2010 12:22 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

More and more politicians are increasingly not making themselves available; by not debating and/or granting in-depth interviews or just refusing to answer questions.

Sep. 17 2010 12:18 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Xtina: Sarah still looks great in your link. Try again.

Sep. 17 2010 12:17 PM

please ask your guest if she calls her son "the retarded" one? is that really true? why did she have the kid if she knew he would have DS?

Sep. 17 2010 12:16 PM
RLewis from bowery

Population of Alaska: 698,473
Population of the Bronx: 1,391,903

One borrough has twice the population of that entire state. Doesn't seem like fair representation.

Sep. 17 2010 12:15 PM
JP from NJ

She’s the worst kind of evil, evil based in ignorance, hate and narrow mindedness…. Evil, evil, evil….

Sep. 17 2010 12:11 PM
Xtina from E. Village

Really Gary?

Sep. 17 2010 12:11 PM
Liam from East Elmhurst

The sexiest political figure I have every seen.
Beautiful-beautiful-and probably not a bad lady.
She is sometimes lost, sometimes uninformed, and not a little goofy on a national level.
But, I like her.

Sep. 17 2010 12:08 PM
Xtina from E. Village

Let me just say that Miles O'Brien is a wonderful host and has been doing a wonderful job this week. Thank you Miles.

Sep. 17 2010 12:07 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Try as you guys might, you can't find a bad photo of Sarah. As such, Vanity Fair has to resort to unflattering caricatures.

Sep. 17 2010 12:03 PM
Peg

I thought this comment section is about Sarah Palin. Is she trying to be the Pope?

Sep. 17 2010 10:20 AM
Pete

NYC should ignore it completely - a lot of us here in the UK are trying to.

Sep. 17 2010 09:56 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Odd that the biggest event this week is the pope's visit to Britain, yet NYC hasn't mentioned it at all.

Sep. 17 2010 07:58 AM