Max’s Kansas City

Monday, September 13, 2010

Steven Kasher and artist Forrest Myers (aka Frosty), talk about Max’s Kansas City, the gathering place for artists and musicians from the 1960s to the early 1980s. It was home to Andy Warhol and his entourage, as well as the iconoclastic New York music scene—the Velvet Underground, the New York Dolls, and undiscovered musicians such as Bruce Springsteen, Bob Marley, Blondie, Iggy Pop, and Madonna. Kasher’s book Max’s Kansas City includes essays by Lou Reed, Lenny Kaye, Danny Fields, and Steven Watson, and photographs.

There's an exhibition of photographs from Max's Kansas City on view at the Steven Kasher Gallery Septermber 15-October 9.

From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.
From Max’s Kansas City: Art, Glamour, Rock and Roll, published by Abrams.

Steven Kasher and Forrest Myers
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jerry Levine from Los Angeles

My wife Maryanne was a close friend of Sharon Powers (the cashier at Max's) while in school in Berkeley. We knew Sharon as a wonderful artist. Indeed, she sent us a great painting she had done of us as a wedding gift. Unfortunately, we lost touch with her years ago. We would welcome any information about her anyone would care to share. Thanks

Dec. 14 2013 03:38 AM
hillwilhelm

I would just like to give Bernard some advice Paul Newman told me,,,he said it's tres tacky to name drop

Oct. 17 2010 12:15 AM
Bernard Wisser from Alkmaar, Holland

Hi, I am 74 years old and in 1968 or 69 I came to the Big Apple after Dropping out of being a clinical psychologist to establish my self as an artist and crash into the Gallery scene. I soon found myself hanging at Mickey Ruskin's Max's and his Longview Country Club across the street on Park Avenue South which was immediately across the street from Frosty Meyers loft. Frost shot a red laser beam from his window diangonally across the avenue into the window of Max's where it hit an slightly angled mirror which shot it diagonally across the front room of Max's to another slightly angled mirror which shot the red beam to another mirror (I think) in the right hand corner of the backroom.. So when you walked around Max's to the bar of towards the back in the left hand aisle you were sure to walk through a red laser beam.
Somehow I met Ingrid Superstar, and we became lovers for a shortime, and she took me into the back room where I would hang with the Warhol people.. Ingrid started introducing me as Bernard Superstar , which Gerard seem to frown on and rightly so because I was not a Warhole superstar, but his buddy Eric like it and would call me that...Soon Sharon Powers the cashier a Max's got to know me as Bernard Superstar at first but as she became my friend and love for a short time, I became just Bernard to her. I had lots of Adventures there, at found self interacting with George Segal, I think it was Ben Pollack (from Bonnie and Clyde) The Living Theatre, Bob Raushenberg and Marion Javits the Senators wife and Raushenber's buddy, John Chamberland, Frosty, Peter the photographer who had been married to Mary Travers. and the then not known Emmy Lou Harris who became a close friend of mine in those days...One afternoon that stands out for me is having coffee with Janis Joplin and I think it was Viva Supersuperstar (Susan) when I was goofing with Tommy Emmy's husband at the time. It was chick pea and chicken time and we jive and dissed from late afternoon to early evening.It a wonderful time and I tripped into the Avant Garde spot to hang in NYC in the 60's and 70's.
Coincidentally, there is an article in the New York Optimist running about me this week where I mention some of this: http://www.thenewyorkoptimist.com/KaliopyPresentsBernardDovWisserSept8_2010.html
I also have a very short video telling about an adventure picking up a beauty in Max and bringing her to my place without saying a word:

Sep. 14 2010 01:08 PM
kim esteve from saopaulo,brazil

Can't wait to see it, Well done Frosty see you on the 3rd.

Kim

Sep. 13 2010 03:20 PM
sam weinreb

john krushenick introduced me to max's when i returned to nyc in the mid-60's from the west coast-it was there that i picked up juliette gordon, and we were both active in the art workers and she was the core initiator of WAR-women artists in revolution-who took on the whole art establishment in the late 60's and into the 70's demanding inclusion and representation for women in the whitney,the museum of modern art,the metropolitan museum all of the museums and the major galleries,she was one hell of a firebrand and one fine artist and collagist

Sep. 13 2010 02:28 PM
eleninyc

I'd like to know where exactly in Chelsea the gallery is located. Steven was giving his address when he was cut off.
I was too young to go anywhere, I was only in elementary school, but I remember the anti war hs /college students, vietnam vets quite vivdly in Central Park. I would love to see this show.

Sep. 13 2010 01:29 PM
Ash in Chelsea

I am now 70 years old. From 1965-67, I lived on 14th Street between 1st and 2nd. I was in my mid-20s at the time.

I remember both The 9th Circle (which was reserved by Dante for some of the worst sinners) and Kansas City. While I am an amateur piano player and a great lover of music (and some art), I never knew any of those future celebs were hanging out in MY spots.

We hung out in the 9th Circle (in the Village) because of the free peanuts whose shells were tossed onto the floor. We hung out at Max's Kansas City for the delicious burgers. I was oblivious to your so-call "cultural revolution". :-)

Sep. 13 2010 01:18 PM