Talking Politics: NYS Primary Preview

Monday, September 13, 2010

Juan Manuel Benitez, reporter for NY1 Noticias and host of Pura Política, and Edward-Isaac Dovere, editor of City Hall, a website and monthly publication focused on New York politics and policy, discuss the key races in tomorrow's primary.

Juan Manuel Benitez and Edward-Isaac Dovere

Amy from Manhattan

How about this: this evening I got a robo-call from Bill Clinton supporting Charlie Rangel!

Sep. 13 2010 10:42 PM
Jeremy from Harlem

"Diane from Rockland

The AG decision is tough but I've just learned that the New York League of Conservation Voters has endorsed Schneiderman. Environmental sustainability isn't my top issue, but it's important. And it seems to me that candidates who understand the importance of enforcing environmental laws are more likely to make the right decisions on other issues, too."

During the debate broadcast on the show last week, each of the candidates was steadfast in his or her declaration that enforcement of the laws of the state is the duty of the office, whether in personal agreement with the law or laws; all, that is, except Rice, who waffled a little when it came to, I believe, avid enforcement of standing gay marriage laws. Diane's statement makes it seem as if various candidates would choose not to enforce certain or other laws, which, according to their stances, is disingenuous, to say the least. Plus, Richard Brodsky has garnered the support of both Hudson Riverkeepers and Pete Seeger, who, while far more political activist than environmental, certainly lends a decided slant to Brodsky's campaign. So the endorsement by the League of Conservation Voters ends up benefiting Schneiderman only if viewed outside of context. One must look carefully at each candidate, listen to their words, view their debates, and lsten to their opposition.

Sep. 13 2010 12:44 PM
The Truth from Becky

Listening to Rebecca is unbearable because of all the old cliche and buzz phrases she insists using!

Sep. 13 2010 12:16 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Robert in NYC: I wouldn't encourage anyone not to vote at all. You can just not vote in any race where you can't find a candidate acceptable to you. Even a vote for nobody gets recorded, & these days analyses even look at how many people out of the total didn't vote in a given race (well, sometimes).

Sep. 13 2010 10:36 AM
Robert from NYC

Bloomberg has a girlfriend?! Oh that's right he's a billionaire.

Sep. 13 2010 10:29 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Interesting analysis of the robo-calls. You're making me sorry I erased the ones on my answering machine so I can't play them back & see how they do or don't fit in w/what you're saying!

Sep. 13 2010 10:25 AM
Diane from Rockland

Sep. 13 2010 10:23 AM
Robert from NYC

To Eric K's comment I would just change "Pedro Espada" to "anybody in office now".
I encourage people not to vote if they like nobody, or do a write in vote for someone not running. That "lesser of two evils" crap we've been brainwashed to buy into, is a ploy for the parties to get their own in. If you do not like anybody don't vote for anybody.

Sep. 13 2010 10:14 AM
Eric K from Brooklyn

If Pedro Espada wins tomorrow, I call an end to democracy in New York.

Sep. 13 2010 09:58 AM