World Trade Center Continues to Rise as Ninth Anniversary Approaches

Friday, September 10, 2010

Amid the clatter and clutter of the work site, the recently planted trees at the 9/11 Memorial are a sign of things to come. The first 16 of the nearly 400 trees were planted at Memorial Plaza in time for this year's Sept. 11 memorial services. At One World Trade Center, the structural steel now rises 36 floors and nearly all of the North and South pools have been tiled.

9/11 Memorial: Sept. 2, 2010

Trees on the west side of the Memorial Plaza. The Port Authority is hoping to have the memorial finished in time for next year's 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Twelve of the 400 Swamp White Oak trees planted already.

Workers are laying 9,000 feet of drainage chutes for the 9/11 Memorial pools.

One World Trade Center

One World Trade Center now has 36 floors completed, and Conde Naste has said they would like to lease one million square feet of space in the tower.

9/11 Memorial Pools

The South pool.

Workers laying rebar where the 9/11 Memorial plaza will be, just east of the South memorial pool.

WNYC began visiting the World Trade Center site in April 2010 and continues to document the construction of One World Trade Center, the 9/11 Memorial, the transportation hub and the people working on the site.

Tags:

More in:

dan marr from michigan

let them build the mousqe, fill it with people, laugh and pray about the success they had with 9/11....the chain the doors and fly a plane into it....all middle eastern muslims can burn in hell.

Aug. 17 2011 02:56 PM
arnie from nyc

Thought this would be of interest to readers.

Since September 2001 I have maintained the "9/11 list-serv" which distributes daily e-mails containing newspaper articles and other relevant information re: 9/11 issues of interest to 9/11 families, 9/11 organizations and interested individuals.

The 9/11 List-serv archives can be accessed at http://groups.google.com/group/911-list-serv

If you would like to 'subscribe' to this free news service - send an e-mail to amkorotkin@aol.com with the word "subscribe" in the subject box.

Arnie

Sep. 10 2010 07:31 PM
Roger from UES

I'm really tired of hearing about 9/11 family members feeling like they can dictate the terms of every single thing that goes on in NYC this time of year, every year. I'm sorry for their losses but some perspective please: we don't close down highways every time there's a traffic-related death on one of them (and a lot more people are killed in traffic accidents annually than were on 9/11). I'm all for being sensitive but it's really time to move on.

Sep. 10 2010 04:50 PM
Sarah Tuft from New York City

I don't get it. People are offended that a place of worship be built near the WTC site, but no one minds the unabashed display of frivolous gauche capitalism, "Fashions Night Out," being held on the eve of September 11th. But then again, we're the culture that worships material goods, whose leaders advise us to "go shopping" as a means of processing tragedy. God forbid someone want to worship real faith!

Sep. 10 2010 11:48 AM
Sarah Tuft from New York City

God forbid someone want to worship real faith!

Here's a quote from one of the FNO event menus: "Stefano Canturi applied his signature Cubism style to design a magnificent necklace for Barbie, using a 1.00 carat registered tender pink diamond from the Australian Argyle mines and 3.00 carats of precious white baguette and carre cut diamonds & a diamond set ring in 18ct white gold."

Really - the night before Sept 11th??

Sep. 10 2010 11:46 AM
keith from Ground Zero

Our great country was founded on religious freedom, resulting in the most culturally diverse nation in history. As fellow human beings we should embrace our diversity and differences, promote understanding and healing, and appreciate that we are one family, one community, one world, and shame on those who would create an issue out of this for personal or political gain!

Sep. 10 2010 10:18 AM
aileen steiner from bronx

As a nurse at a New York City public hospital in the Bronx, I watched the towers fall from the window of our clinic, and , like other City heath workers, waited until 8 pm to be called for emergency deployment to the site. 2 days later, I drove down the deserted West Side Highway, stopped at every light be uniformed national guard, to Chelsea Piers where volunteer rescue workers waited all days, only to be sent home because there was no one to rescue.

Today, 9/10/11, on my way to work at my hospital in the Bronx, still facing the empty Manhattan skyline, Pakistani and Bengali men and boys rush across Gun Hill Road on their way to the mosque on Bainbridge Road, prayer rugs over their shoulders, to celebrate Eid, the end to Ramadan, which this year, falls with Rosh Hashana. I wish them "Happy Eid" and they thank me. While the rest of America is absorbed in anti-Islamic hysteria and hate, here in New York, where it all happened, is the ground zero of diversity, peace and tolerance.

Sep. 10 2010 09:42 AM

I honestly don't see how millions of dolloars for a new building and a couple of pools is gonna help me remember. My brother was killed in this whole mess and this nor anything else they build will bring him back. Same thing in OKC in the Federal Bombing. I was there. My best friend at the time was killed right next to me and the memorial they built didn't help either. It's just a waste of tax payers money. How is this gonna help? Now everytime I visit all I'll see is a gigantic waste sitting on top of where my brother was killed. May god have mercy.

Sep. 09 2010 11:23 AM