Gerard Lordahl Answers Your Gardening Questions

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Gerard Lordahl, Greening Director of GrowNYC, discusses end-of-summer gardening, how to care for your plants when you go on vacation, and what kinds of heirloom vegetables he recommends growing. He’ll also answer listener questions about gardening! Call us at 212-433-9692.

Gerard Lordahl

barbara kaplan

I heard a gentleman on NYC talk @ how his cat was poisoned by grass from chemicals on a golf grteen. He developed a new combination grass seed and I would love to know where I can get it and what it is. Thank you for any information you can give me. I am not sure which of your daytime programs aired this interesting segment.

Jul. 21 2011 10:13 AM
Ellen from Roslyn

I live on L.I. and have about 3/4 of an acre which is starting to be overtaken by ivy. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of it? I keep pulling it up but there's just too much of it at this point. Thanks for any advice.

Sep. 02 2010 01:34 PM
Marlene Bloom from Ft. Lee, NJ

Hi,
I am an east-facing apartment terrace gardener who has had no luck with cilantro. Last year it simply wouldn't grow and this year I got one ok crop but it wouldn't continue to produce leaves. Any suggestions?
Marlene

Sep. 02 2010 12:36 PM
Cambra from Brooklyn

I use this excellent composting service in Brooklyn:

Home pick-up and delivery, and the EM eliminate pests and smell so you can keep it anywhere in the house. The fermented food can be buried directly in your garden as fertilizer, too. And it decomposes something like 6 times faster than traditional aerated compost, without releasing potentially harmful gases in the process.

Sep. 02 2010 12:33 PM
LG from Brooklyn NY

PLEASE don't tell people to leave their compost materials at the gates of community gardens. The bags get scattered before a gardener gets there - you make a mess, the neighbors get annoyed, and nobody benefits. It's a real problem for gardens, and works against the composting programs.

My community garden has a sign up now, begging people to come during garden hours only.

Sep. 02 2010 12:33 PM
Victoria from Manhattan

I have tried to grow rosemary several times (from plant) but each time the plant develops mites. How can I avoid mites in the future?

Sep. 02 2010 12:32 PM
scott killian from North Bergen, NJ

Yes--you can harvest green tomatoes now and enjoy ripe tomatoes when you return from vacation. JUST WRAP EACH TOMATO INDIVIDUALLY IN NEWSPAPER AND STORE IN COOL PLACE. THEY WILL NOT ROT AND THEY RIPEN IN A FEW WEEKS TO PERFECTION!

Sep. 02 2010 12:22 PM
Georgie

We have a mole in our backyard (we think). The grass has turned brown and the lawn has become very soft. Could it be grubs, or does it sound like a mole? How do we get rid of the mole(s) if that's what we have?

Sep. 02 2010 12:18 PM
David from Summit NJ

Please Help Me!
I know this is not so much a "gardening" question more of a grass question.
We bought our house that has a yard that has been through years of neglect. The lawn is so thin and the ground below is overwhelmed with pebbles and extremely compact. I keep aerating and overseeding to no avail. Without digging the whole yard up, what kind of soil/dirt should I be mixing into my existing ground so that the seed will take and grow. Help please!

Sep. 02 2010 12:16 PM
The Truth from Becky

Besides a cactus, what is the best plant or flower for shade gardening?

Sep. 02 2010 12:15 PM
Nancy from Pine Beach

Please help a new hydrangea gardener!
I've inherited about a dozen lovely plants ..pretty established in Ocean Co. NJ. with the purchase of a home there. The excessive heat and drought beat the blooms up pretty badly...but I am getting mixed messages on when to cut them back. They are mainly the large blooms...one or two of the plants are the 'lacy' variety. I've watched on-line videos on 'how' to prune...just can't figure out 'when' to ensure blooms next year. help!

Sep. 02 2010 12:07 PM
Sher from Manhattan

Question for G. Lordahl:
What to do about Fireblight in six callery pear trees along west 12th St (between 6th - 7th Aves)? I've tried speaking with the Manhattan forester, but nothing happened. The trees look Very unhealthy - some are dying I'm afraid. Many thanks!

Sep. 02 2010 11:18 AM