Drink Up! It's Good for You

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Time magazine staff writer John Cloud discusses his recent article about the possible health benefits of drinking alcohol.

John Cloud

Sara

Wow, what a laugh.

1. No mention of the fact that women are more vulnerable to alcohol than men, and that it impacts them differently. Since 2/3 of the study were men, the "researcher" clearly wasn't addressing this.

Main thing I'd like to see is the impact on the brain. I'm 25, and when I look at my parents and their friends (all in late 50s early 60s) there does not seem to be a lot of correlation between health and drinking (diet/exercise seems more important) and there does seem to be a strong correlation between mild senile behavior and drinking.

Sep. 03 2010 08:31 PM
Lucy

Would love to have a few glasses of wine from time to time. But get so sick from just a glass. What woud cause this? If it good for you is it only on the social aspect of the partaking?

Sep. 02 2010 12:39 PM
david

what benefits might children gain if they were able to drink small amounts of alcohol. less social anxiety? less likely to get sick? any info on that?

Sep. 02 2010 12:00 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Well, I've heard that alcoholics are "self-medicating" for depression--maybe that's why teetotalers show more signs of depression.

Sep. 02 2010 12:00 PM
Raul from Prospect Heights, Brooklyn 11238

When I discuss the benefits of moderate drinking, people always say, "well, that's only 2 drinks a day." Are there different definitions of moderate drinking? The study defines it at 1-3 drinks a day.

Sep. 02 2010 11:57 AM
Mike from nyc

I wonder what Christopher Hitchens thinks of this study.

Sep. 02 2010 11:57 AM
dage from park slope

Isn't alcohol what caused actor Michael Douglas's throat cancer? How common is alcohol related cancer?

Sep. 02 2010 11:57 AM
RLewis from bowery

Is this just a sign that Stress is a much bigger factor to health and longevity than what you put in your mouth?

Drinkers don't worry, they be happy!

Sep. 02 2010 11:54 AM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Take a look at the portraiture of the Founding Fathers-a very rosy-faced bunch of fellows.
I just don't like the way these drinking laws have gone off the cliff-drinking and driving is of course bad, but, I think that still on an average day many many people drive by with a few in them that would be considered drunk were it always checked.
Yet, there aren't as many accidents as you would think this would cause. I think it's like putting a traffic light at the corner-serves career goals of some pols but does very little long term good-helps the legal profession, though. Makes nice safe well educated people in the Hamptons (and lots of new overcharging landlords in the city). But, I ramble, no?

Sep. 02 2010 11:44 AM
Nora from New York, New York

Is there really a higher incidence of breast cancer in women who have more than one drink a day? What medical studies back that up? I know several women with BC who don't drink or rarely drink.

Sep. 02 2010 11:28 AM

more booze for isreal and palistine...
...quick!

Sep. 02 2010 10:49 AM

maybe drinkers are just happier!!

i like the "What Booze Looks Like Under a Microscope" booze as art on the time site.

Sep. 02 2010 10:28 AM