Candidate for NY Governor: Paladino

Monday, August 30, 2010

Carl Paladino on why he's running to be the Republican candidate for Governor of New York.

Carl Paladino
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

pat

Great interview. How refreshing to hear a candidate speak honestly and frankly without compromising himself by polishing every statement to make it politically "vote getting" or "correct." The interview encouraged me to learn more about Carl Paladino.

Sep. 02 2010 05:20 PM
August MacKenzie from East Village, aka Lower east side

I realize that only the 'liberals' listen to Brian, so, he speaks to the choir, eh....and now, no one will vote for Palladino. We shall inaugurate Cuomo as we did, (without my vote) Spitzer, giving him the conciet that he is the MAN. Well, shall we do that for Andy, what then...if you really wish to control what occurs, do not give Andy a majority, that will lead him to think he is King CuomoII. It is up to you to keep these pols off balance and be responsible to YOU, and not to special interests, and his buddies....Keep your Head up, and not where it is dark.

Aug. 31 2010 10:14 AM
Stacy G from Northern NJ

As several of the above posters pointed out, Paladino was nothing short of a cave man when referring to the woman journalis as "girl."

Brian should have ended the interview with this surly bunglar after five minutes. He was verbally abusive.

Aug. 30 2010 09:37 PM
August MacKenzie from East Village, aka Lower east side

Dear Mr. Leher
I listened carefully to your interview with Mr Charles Pallidino with great interest. I especially am dismayed by your snide and biased attitude with which you addressed Mr Palladino. He met you and bested you, didnt he. I am puzzled why and you have lost your way, how you lost that fine reputation that you created for so long as a ‘balanced’ interviewer, showing no bias. But, perhaps you were merely a sleeper, and once you became comfortable with your role on WNYC as a highly regarded interviewer, you emerged and and so now youshow your egregious conciets. Your contemptiousness of ideas that you do not subcribe to is realized and is not complimentary to your listeners. Since you won your prize, you have changed, and I am disappointed, but, then, you are perhaps the secret agent that waits, and then, surfaces, to do your duty. I have sent many messages to you regarding how you have changed over the past year, and now I find I turn away, and as some of your subject matter has become bland, irrelevant and hopelessly meaningless,I hope you get this, but, then, you might be held hostage to these ideas,to as to keep your job and so, conform the politically correct left. All I have to say to you Mr. Lehrer is have you no shame.

Aug. 30 2010 07:09 PM
LP from New York City

The boy on earlier, Carl Paladino, is quite opinionated and hardly represents the majority of downstate New Yorkers. I hope the residents of NY will help to expose this boy for what he really is, a hateful opportunist.

Aug. 30 2010 04:29 PM
Theodora McKee

What is really terrifying is that someone thisd ignorant stands a chance of being elected. (See Jon Stewart - Evil or Stupid?)

Aug. 30 2010 03:30 PM
ml from manhattan

If Palidona spent a few days in NYC after the 9/11 attack, he would have experienced the cloud as far north as 30 Street. There are several mosques in between Wall Street and 30th Street. Give a developer the right to take over a property for his own use, and there goes my apartment building. Who is Bloomberg? He's the mayor. Who is Palidona? A rich developer.

Aug. 30 2010 12:02 PM
rita from Brooklyn, NY

I turned on the radio in the middle of the piece and was confused- was the person who wrote the article about Paladino 11 years old?! He said plenty of other ridiculous things, and also showed that he is unable to have an intelligent debate with someone he disagrees with, but what struck me most was his attitude towards the "girl" that wrote an article he didn't like. I can't imagine any woman would want to vote for him or work for him, unless she wants to fetch him coffee and be patronized by someone who seems to prefer living in the 1950s than today.

Aug. 30 2010 11:58 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Eminent domain, whether applied to property itself or restrictions on its use, requires "just compensation"--the property owners have to be paid. How much money does Paladino think it would take to compensate all the property owners within the dust cloud area who would have eminent domain actions affecting them if his idea were put into effect? And does he think his planned budget cuts would come anywhere close to covering it?

Aug. 30 2010 11:52 AM

No Islamic cultural center (or nest of terrorists, according to Paladino) anywhere that the dust settles? Because each precious molecule may be the remains of a victim, Muslim, Chistian or Jew? Where exactly is the edge of the 'dust cloud'? No doubt some of the smoke and dust made it into the upper atmoshpere and could land anywhere.

Aug. 30 2010 11:52 AM
Gladys from New Jersey

I was thrilled to hear how brilliantly and calmly Brian allowed Paladino to hang himself by allowing his lunacy to shine - thereby showing the world his light is fueled by poison and to be avoided at all costs. Paladino is not equipped to run for anything and instead could benefit from a course in humanity or a good therapist.

Aug. 30 2010 11:50 AM
Merez from NYC

That guy sounds like a total nutjob. After hearing him speak I would fully expect to see tin foil on his windows and old newspapers with random letters circled in his living room.

Aug. 30 2010 11:50 AM
Peggy from warwick

girl? GIRL? to refer to an adult female reporter? Classic. At least he revealed his sexist thinking without having to be asked about it.
I have never heard anyone in politics so short-tempered and accusatory/defensive from the very first question onward.
It's a shame that some good ideas (caretaker instead of nursings homes. . ) are overwhelmed by such a flawed character.

Aug. 30 2010 11:49 AM

A Republican, no less, and one from upstate NY, no less, would invoke eminent domain on NYC (who's this guy Bloomberg?), and make a Federal case out of it?

Aug. 30 2010 11:48 AM
Roy from Queens

I wouldn't vote for him, if he ran for dog catcher.

Aug. 30 2010 11:47 AM

jay
just vote against lieberman for us

Aug. 30 2010 11:46 AM
John from Brooklyn

No only is WHAT Paladino said offensive, but also HOW he said it. Personally, I can't believe he continued to refer to the journalist who wrote the piece on him (Beth Fouhy) as "that girl."

Aug. 30 2010 11:46 AM

It did take forever to get into this site. The next speaker is already on.

Paladino states that he wants to present a budget to the state legislature and say, "Take it or leave it" and if three men in a room want to change that budget, he's willing to negotiate, but only if the press is there.

In fairness, shouldn't he have the complete budget ready before the election for public debate? If he doesn't, isn't that the equivalent of having one man in a room with no press there?

Aug. 30 2010 11:46 AM
Bruce Armstrong from Flushing

It can happen here.

Scary, man.
Scary man.

Aug. 30 2010 11:45 AM
mc

Seems the site was swamped--very hard to get on. I have to chime in with others here on the dust cloud. It was all over Brooklyn that day. How much time did Paladino spend in NYC around the time of 9-11-01? Thanks, Brian for allowing him to hang himself.

Aug. 30 2010 11:44 AM
Miranda from Manhattan

Hendrik Hertzberg for the New Yorker wrote a blog post about the name Cordoba House and its actual historical meaning:

Aug. 30 2010 11:42 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Ahhh...thank you, Brian. Thanks for asking the question about the e-mails and his racism, etc

His backtracking is priceless and exposes him for the stupid ignorant racist he is.

oh and by the way Mr.Pallidopehead, I am a citizen of New York...for all of my life..and I DO care about your racism, moron!

Aug. 30 2010 11:42 AM
Marielle from Brooklyn

Wow, it took me ages to get onto this site today. Apparently, this guest has inspired a lot of commentary! I'll just make one comment: Measure the dust cloud - seriously? Brian barely needed to comment on the guest's rantings - he hanged himself.

Aug. 30 2010 11:38 AM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

I will go out an vote.....but definitely not for Paladino. What a jerk.

Aug. 30 2010 11:38 AM
Jay from Norwalk CT

Thank you Brian, I am finding your interview with Paladino simply entertaining. I wish I lived in NY so I could vote against this Man.

Aug. 30 2010 11:31 AM

yeah, this guy is not going far.

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
julie from Brooklyn

The issue with hatred is that it is almost always under the guiese of improving society.

Keep him talking - each topic seems to put a nail in his political coffin.

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
Madeline Rogers from UWS

Mr. Paladino should be reminded that the dust cloud on 9/11 reached all the way to Brooklyn, and I could smell the smoke for weeks on the upper west side. So...no mosques in Brooklyn? None uptown? How far does the dust cloud of his mind extend?

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
SuzanneNYC from UWS

I bet this guy is all for small government and no stimulus from DC. Yet he wants to house homeless people and force them into a state-run program? Why not just stimulate the economy so they can get jobs in the private sector. What kids are on welfare? This guy makes no sense.

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
Karen from Brooklyn, NY

This is exactly the kind of stuff you hear on Fox News and WABC talk radio. We're being treated to a little slice of that right here on Brian Lehrer's show. Enjoy And, apparently, this is the kind of logic brought to us by the Tea Party. This man used to be a Democrat??

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
BL Moderator

[[We haven't removed any comments, but please remember the WNYC posting policy, which asks you to keep your comments productive, civil, and relevant to the discussion taking place on the air.
Thanks,
-BL Show-]]

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
Douglas Wood

Who is this nut???????

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
Sam from New York, NY

The movement that this guy represents is starting to get really scary. He has no connection whatsoever to what happen on September 11th, 2001 and yet he wears it like varsity jacket while he attacks the rights of others.

It is ironic that he doesn't see the obvious connections to other brainless radicals, many of whom he feels such animosity towards.

Aug. 30 2010 11:28 AM
Marissa from Manhattan

I think we should make certification of one's sanity a precondition of running for office or hosting a television news program (I'm talking about you, Glenn Beck). Paladino sounds insane to me.

Aug. 30 2010 11:27 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Come to Dutchess County and marvel at the Paladino signs sprouting up on the lawns. Very depressing indeed.

Aug. 30 2010 11:27 AM
empka

My house in Brooklyn was within the dust cloud! Is it covered by his proposed board?

Aug. 30 2010 11:27 AM
Jack from Astoria

Could you ask Paladino if we could rename Cordoba House "The Chrysler Cordoba House" and have Ricardo Montalban be their spokesman? Would that make it all better?

Seriously- Paladino=Cranky nut

Aug. 30 2010 11:26 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Direct question about his bigotry against...well...apparently everyone who isn't white and christian? No? Ok

Why is this racist dirtbag sullying my airwaves?

Aug. 30 2010 11:25 AM
Jersey Jeff from Rahway, NJ

Holy cow, I'm listening to this Paladino guy and he is certifiably nuts. At least he made Brian's show interesting this morning!

Aug. 30 2010 11:25 AM
Vrac

Brian's got the Kid from Brooklyn on his show today. How cool!

Aug. 30 2010 11:25 AM

I can't believe people take Paladino seriously

Aug. 30 2010 11:24 AM
Jay F.

I'm a Republican and this guy is NOT getting my vote.
He's a thug.

Aug. 30 2010 11:24 AM
Tom from Toronto

This guy sounds like a mobster. Er, acts like one too.

Aug. 30 2010 11:24 AM
Peg from Candor NY

Please ask Paladino if he believes in Global Climate Change.

Aug. 30 2010 11:23 AM

I have no tolerance either, Paladino. I get it. i do. I want so badly to shut you up. But, I have to be reasonable. I have to be better than you.

Aug. 30 2010 11:22 AM
Jesse

to the edge of the dust cloud? uh, that's just obviously silly.

Aug. 30 2010 11:21 AM
Carl Ian Schwartz from Paterson, N.J.

This guy called Sheldon Silver (a Jew) a Nazi? What's this guy smoking? More importantly, how ignorant we've become as a nation that this ignoranus with a large wad of money can be taken seriously as a candidate.

I last heard this type of garbage in 1932 German politicking.

Aug. 30 2010 11:21 AM
Jesse

to the edge of the dust cloud? uh, that's just obviously dumb.

Aug. 30 2010 11:21 AM
Ken from Little Neck

Paladino would be very easy to take as a joke if it weren't for they horrifying fact that there are people who take him seriously. I'll be very happy when fringe nutjobs like this aren't given enough credibility to get media attention anymore.

Aug. 30 2010 11:18 AM
VRac from White Plains

I think he just lost the primary.

Aug. 30 2010 11:18 AM

Without Brian having to do anything, this man has exposed his own ignorance.

Out of touch Republican.

Aug. 30 2010 11:17 AM

Oh. my. God.

Aug. 30 2010 11:16 AM
Eric from Manhattan

When is this guy going to answer your questions? I like how he responds to questions by blaming the press and explaining who exactly he has answered the question to in the past, rather than provide a substantive answer.

Aug. 30 2010 11:16 AM

I thought Paladino's agenda might be refreshing...until he opened his mouth to talk; Peeeee-Ewwww --- a stinker!!

Aug. 30 2010 11:15 AM
CG

I'd like to second the statement that this guy is an aggressive loud mouth.

Aug. 30 2010 11:12 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Isn't the budget process a legislative process? How will he cut 20% of government without their consent?

Aug. 30 2010 11:12 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Ummm....if even half of these things are true, i ask: WHY are you giving him air time and taking him seriously?

And are you going to gloss over the racism you mentioned in the e-mails?

Aug. 30 2010 11:11 AM
Barbara A. Genco from Brooklyn NY

Please ask Mr Paladino about his real estate holdings? Upstate friends tell me that he has over 50+ properties leased to NYS agencies and other governmental units. And that they do not meed current codes for accessibility for staff and citizens alike.

Aug. 30 2010 11:09 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Aggressive loudmouth=Paladino

Aug. 30 2010 11:04 AM
Fred from ny

He said that?

Aug. 30 2010 10:57 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Paladino in an interview on WLIW21 implied that the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII wasn't such a bad idea. I would love him to clarify his comments.

Aug. 30 2010 10:11 AM