Primary Season: NY's 14th Congressional District

Friday, August 27, 2010

Carolyn Maloney, current Congresswoman running for the Democratic party's nomination in this September's primary, and opponent Reshma Saujani talk about their campaigns.

Carolyn Maloney and Reshma Saujani

AstoriaGirl from Astoria, Queens

Reshma is very impressive and certainly knows how to talk a good game (especially for me when invoking FDR). But there are two things that grab my negative attention:
1) She's a hedge-fund manager.
2) Jaimee Diamond's (CEO of Chase) wife & other WS Financiers supports her.
I listened to Reshma struggling with these "biases" and then came the kiss of death that confirmed my suspicions: Maloney openly supports Elizabeth Warren to be the new head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Unfortunately, Reshma said she hasn't decided who she supports. Thank YOU to Brain for asking Reshma this CRUCIAL question as it was most clarifying: Jaimee Diamond et. al do NOT want Warren, and I’m afraid this lends support to the case broached by the article Brian mentioned re. Wall Street has bought themselves a candidate.

Sep. 14 2010 02:47 PM
Gunter Weiskopf from UES

Maloney voted for the TARP $800 BILLION payoff to the banks. Maloney voted to give our tax money to Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, GM, AIG.
Maloney voted for the obama stimulus package. Maloney voted to put you and me and our children in debt for the next 30 years for what? To repave First Avenue? That money - $700+BILLION - was wasted and we will never see it again. But we have to pay it back to the Chinese and our other debt-masters.
Anyone who cares about their childrens' future will vote Tea Party and Libertarian - stop the insane government spending!!

Sep. 14 2010 06:15 AM
ZiyadHadi

Having personally known Reshma since law school I can say that she is a true liberal (and I mean that in a good way). She 100% supports gay rights, and is a true supporter of the "little guy". To say that she is a supporter of wall street fat cats over the rights of the less fortunate sounds ludicrous to anyone who knows her. She is a true believer of equal rights in the most literal sense and is without a shred of cynicism.

Sep. 04 2010 11:01 AM
Fran from Bronx

I'm happy to report Reshma is for same sex marriage in a big way.
She refused to march in the India Day parade ( and naturally as a first for that community Reshma is a real draw for the event ) unless the parade organizers allowed a gay and lesbian group to march. And they did march,and they were beautiful, and Reshma marched with them.
So there you go!

Oh to whomever asked, Carolyn Maloney did give Charlie Rangel 2,500 recently. She was defiant about it when asked. Google it - she's quoted. Her response was "he's my friend..."
I don't live in the 14th any more but I did for years and I'm amazed how Carolyn Maloney's gone from idiot councilmember who forgets people's names to the liberal feminist icon.
She's still dopey Carolyn to me. ; )

Aug. 28 2010 02:40 AM
Informing Voters from New York, NY

Ed from East Village:

Aug. 27 2010 08:50 PM
Informing Voters from New York, NY

Ed from East Village:

Aug. 27 2010 06:05 PM
Jim from NYC

Saujani fully supports LGBT rights, including marriage equality: http://www.reshma2010.com/pages/lgbt_rights

Aug. 27 2010 06:01 PM
Charlie from murray hill

especially after listening to maloney's babble, saujani really impressed me.

SHE DIDNT EVEN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!! she insulted us all by talking about the credit card bill when asked about her fundraisers with lobbyists during the financial reform bill negotiations. two different bills. we're not falling for the politician speak, maloney.

and what about rangel? DID YOU GIVE HIM $2500??? why are you talking about due process. we actually know what that is too. but are you giving money to rangel while hes under investigation?? yes or no.

Aug. 27 2010 12:04 PM
jawbone

Full disclosure: I have an interest in a decent SocSec retirement amount for myself and for everyone who has paid into SocSec, especially all those who paid extra to offset the effect of the Baby Boomer bulge in recipients. I have an interest in my wonderful auto mechanic who runs his own small shop getting full benefits when he needs them, which, given the problems he's having with pain in his elbow joints and hands even now --working on cars and trucks is hard physical labor, in case Obama and Pete Peterson and Steny Hoyer haven't figured that out -- I know "cheap labor" Republicans have no respect for workers; the sad thing is so many Dems no longer respect hard working people -- will not be able to do the work he loves much longer. Make it to 70 doing auto and truck repairs?? Give him a break! And he's just one example.

So, I have a huge interest in having decent SocSec for all.

Aug. 27 2010 12:02 PM
jawbone

I've been hoping that Brian would have been asking candidates and current representatives exactly where they stand on some of the "tweaks" to Social Security being floated out of the Obama/Pete Peterson Cat Food Commission and even from some Dem leaders, such as Steny Hoyer.

Speaker Pelosi slipped a provision into another bill, which was going to pass, that requires the House to take a vote on the Obama/Pete Peterson Cat Food Commission recommendations if they are passed by the Senate. No matter what they are! No hearings, no public input -- just Blue Dogs, ConservaDems, and Republicans to vote for it. What were you thinking, Rep. Pelosi???

Wow. I cannot believe I am living during a DEMOCRATIC presidency and DEMOCRATIC controlled Congress that is willing to muck up SocSec!

Is Obama trying to destroy the Democratic brand? Its image? Its principles? Its base of working Americans?

SocSec does not need any changes currently; it has interest and the actual reserved funds in Treasury notes; perhaps nearer to 2037 or 2040 it might need some changes, depending on whether we ever get decent employment in this nation again. At that time, higher amounts of income being taxed to pay into SocSec would cover things. But...for some reason Obama proclaimed early in his primary campaign (which alarmed Paul Krugman greatly back in November of 2007 -- yes, 2007!!) that SocSec needed "fixing."

WHY? Was he being told by his early big, big amount Wall Street donors that they needed him to open the SocSec fund to their predatory ministrations?

Amazingly, Obama manages to be labeled a socialist by the right and a corporatist by the left. Perhaps what he actually is is a corporate socialist: you know, socialize Big Bidness's losses and privative the profits.

But, back to SocSec, the MCM (Mainstream Corporate Media) keeps saying SocSec must by "fixed," and Obama attacks the Republicans for wanting to privative SocSec (but he also appointed a longtime foe of SocSe, former Sen. Simpson of the "310 million tits fame," to his Obama/Pete Peterson Cat Food Commission, so go figure -- and when I figure I see a prez who wants to go after SocSec and other New Deal and Great Society social safety net, social REAL security, programs), but is unable to say he will not raise the retirement age to 70, which means a cut in benefits btw, will not do other things which affect longterm benefits for retirees.

Aug. 27 2010 12:02 PM
TK from Brooklyn, NY

Do we need more Yale alumni in public office?

In all fairness, both candidates sound like parrots chirping buzz words. Boring and uninspiring.

Aug. 27 2010 11:40 AM
Kent

Typical newbie wannabe politico. Talk fast and make statements that can't be backed up. "The Washington Bubble"? Where does she think the capital is located? Will she work from home?

Aug. 27 2010 11:40 AM
IMHO

This woman also needs to switch to decaf...her delivery is too rat-a-tat. Slow...down.

Aug. 27 2010 11:39 AM
Robert from NYC

If I weren't already home I'd get up and go home. Oime!

Aug. 27 2010 11:39 AM

nothing i have read supports the assertion that Michael Enright was motivated by anything other than some sort of emotional balance.

Aug. 27 2010 11:38 AM

Ms. Saujani is too much a lawyer. Just because she's taking money directly from individual bankers instead of from PACs doesn't separate her from those who take PAC money. it highlights how much closer she is to the Exec suite than Ms. Maloney.

Aug. 27 2010 11:37 AM
Marylou Krajci from Manhattan

This woman is not answering your questions. Why are you letting her get away with that. You challenged congresswoman Maloney to answer to her opponent's challenges. How could she possibly talk about the future? This woman just keeps giving us the same rhetoric as her expensive 4 color mailers I receive every week.

Aug. 27 2010 11:36 AM
Jamison from Fort Green

Yaaaa! More rich people looking out for rich people!

Aug. 27 2010 11:35 AM

even a blind man know the difference between Drive and Reverse.

Aug. 27 2010 11:29 AM
Jay. F.

Seems to be politics as usual with Ms. Maloney.

Aug. 27 2010 11:29 AM
Robert from NYC

I don't trust people who use the phrase "put forth".

Aug. 27 2010 11:27 AM
g.e.Taylor from Bklyn., NY

Excellent interview Brian.
One problem though - It seems at least on my radio that Ms. Baloney is not participating.
She's giving a stump speech.

Aug. 27 2010 11:25 AM
Robert from NYC

I've never heard Carolyn Maloney speak on any gay issues either. I receive her newletter now and then and she has never included any statements on either gay marriage and any gay issues. She lost my vote and not just for that reason but because of other issues as well and votes I disagreed with that she made.
I just want the incumbents out... all of them R or D. If I have to I just will not vote or write in a name, but I am no longer buying into that crap about voting for the lesser of two evils. I don't see a difference, they're all corrupt and stink. The only three incumbents I would like to see return are Con. Grayson, FLA, Con. Kucinich, OH, and Sen. Feingold, WI. These are the folks who speak to and for me and I even send money to their campaigns and they are not of this state... how sick is that!

Aug. 27 2010 11:25 AM
Tom from Toronto

The woman sounds slippery. Just answer the question.

Aug. 27 2010 11:23 AM
Talks too much

Maloney needs to take a breath.

Aug. 27 2010 11:22 AM
Robert from NYC

Bush hadn't spoken about anything relevant even when he WAS is the White House. What a joke. Who cares!

Aug. 27 2010 11:09 AM
Ed from East Village

Two questions for Reshma:
1) Although I have gotten easily 40 pieces of mail from you, they have all been silent on same sex marriage. Do you support this right for same sex couples?

2) If you lose the primary (or the general election), where will you work next?

Aug. 27 2010 11:05 AM

when there is so much need in NY why do our congress people send so much money out of the state. what am i getting in return?

Aug. 27 2010 10:20 AM