City Charter Changes

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Matthew Goldstein, chancellor of the City University of New York, and the chair of the New York City Charter Revision Commission, talks about the conclusion New York City charter review process and the decision to put term limits on the ballot in November, with a "grandfather" clause.

Matthew Goldstein

Amy from Manhattan

I'm opposed to term limits. The last time a term-limit q. was on the ballot (on whether to stagger 2-year terms), I actually wrote in a vote for "No term limits." This was possible on the old voting machines; I don't know if it will be possible for ballot q's. on the new ones. Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about how write-in votes for candidates will work on the new machines. Could you cover this in a segment?

Aug. 24 2010 11:56 AM
SuzanneNYC from UWS

I'm agains term limits. I think it's fundamentally undemocratic. If people want to limit an elected official, there are elections every two, three or four years.

Aug. 24 2010 11:51 AM
Robert from NYC

This is nonsense "we the people" as it WERE already voted twice... TWICE for term limits and twice... TWICE these folks have knocked that out. How dare they say the work for us when in fact they do as they please and just screw us! This is nonsense there should be re-instituted the two term limit. PERIOD.

Aug. 24 2010 11:45 AM
Judith

Normally I don't support absolute rule by voter referendum since occasionally the rights of the minority must be protected in order to live up to the letter and spirit of the constitution. However, NYC voters have voted - TWICE - that they want 2-term limits. The term limit proposal to be put on the ballot in November is a craven attempt by ensconced candidates to preserve their position in opposition to voters' desires. Now we as voters seem to have an unpleasant choice - we can vote FOR and allow the current crowd of corrupt politicians to remain or vote AGAINST in a seemingly false choice against reinstating term limits. Also the city council should be flatly prohibited from tampering with term limits - not merely limited from affecting their own terms.

Aug. 24 2010 11:37 AM
Florence from Manhattan

Does the Charter Revision proposal contain anything related to Community Board, e.g., changing their role in land use decisions?

Aug. 24 2010 11:31 AM
JG from Manhattan

The Charter Revision Commission for the past 20 years is beyond 'Democracy Inaction.' It is a show.

In 1994 and 2010 I tried to contact the commission with suggestions to consider. They had a web-based form on NYC.gov that I used. No response. This year, their website changed their mailing address twice. I sent them my suggestions three times. Two times returned by the Post Office. The Commission never even acknowledged receipt of correspondence.

They don't care about us.

Aug. 24 2010 11:30 AM