Gulf Seafood Safety

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The shrimp season just started in the Gulf. Dr. Gina Solomon, a senior scientist with the NRDC, looks at seafood safety following the BP oil spill and calls for stricter testing of Gulf seafood. Todd Harding, general manager for the wholesale division of Lobster Place, tells us if Gulf seafood is showing up locally - and whether buyers are buying it and consumers are worried.

Todd Harding and Gina Solomon

Juliet

"This is not the case in some of retailers I frequent in Westchester"
why frequent them?

Aug. 19 2010 03:33 PM
Beth

Please consider the source of all of your seafood. Many global fisheries are not using sustainable practices. Please please please visit seafood watch to learn more about what you should/ not buy for both your own health and that of the fisheries. (http://www.montereybayaquarium.com/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx)

Aug. 19 2010 12:00 PM
S Block from NYC

Asking at the retail level where a piece of seafood comes from... HA HA HA

We already know there is lying at many levels of the chain about what KIND of fish it is, and they fibs are told up in price. You think "Gulf" anything is going to be for sale this year?

Why are you wasting all of our time.

BTW I completely predicted that this oil spill was going to disappear right away, just like all other oil spills. Petroleum just isn't that toxic (hey, it's natural!) and yeah, it's better to keep the enviornment clean, but we do keep it cleaner than it was 40 years ago, so we'll keep making it better and everybody go back to their own lives. Yeah, bad things happen every once in a while. A lot of good things in between, enjoy your life, it's the only one you get.

Aug. 19 2010 11:59 AM
Juliet from Yonkers, NY

I shop in the Mt. Vernon/Yonkers for seafood often and none of the seafood were marked with the country/region of origin. This is not the case in some of retailers I frequent in Westchester. I wonder if seafood retailers in resource-limited neighborhoods are are more lax than in other neighborhoods? I hope this is not the case.

Aug. 19 2010 11:58 AM
Alice Crozier from Hoboken, NJ

Remember when the government said that there was no danger in breathing the air at ground zero? and many other such assurances from state and national politicans?
I don't know how to tell where the shrimp come from, so I probably will not buy them.
AC

Aug. 19 2010 11:53 AM
Madeline

The old metaphoric saying "fish rots from the head" is literally true in this case. With Obama reassuring people that Gulf seafood is safe -- without sufficient scientific evidence--is politically understandable, but so irresponsible.

Aug. 19 2010 11:51 AM
Mike from NYU

The bigger issue for me is that lots of those fish weren't sustainable before the spill. I follow the fish list:
More New Yorkers should carry these.

Aug. 19 2010 11:50 AM
Mike from NYU

well said hjs11211. I don't believe its clean. I won't touch it and I check where my seafood comes from.

Aug. 19 2010 11:45 AM

i won't touch anything from the gulf, not for 20 years.
let some else test those "dispersants."

Aug. 19 2010 11:28 AM

Gulf Seafood Safety Test
More sections of the Gulf of Mexico are being opened to fishing as intense testing finds few hazards in samples checked so far. A chemist at a NOAA testing lab explains the process.

Aug. 19 2010 11:20 AM