Open Phones: Bed Bugs and Rats are Everywhere

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We want your stories about your public run-ins with bed bugs, rats or other pests. You don’t have to out specific businesses – but call us up or comment below. Tell us in what neighborhoods and in what kinds of establishments you’ve had close encounters.

Mirta from uws

once -a month exterminators, come to my apt. building as a preventive solution for rats/roaches? How do we know that these companies are not causing the bed-bug problem in the first place... by placing a bed-bug here or there. Who regulates these exterminating companies??? I never used their services and I don't have a roach,bed-bug or rat problem. Again, why the wide spread problem of bed bugs.

Sep. 26 2010 05:15 PM
John from Bay Ridge

I live in Bay Ridge. I have seen rats along the bike path by the belt parkway and also around the 69th street pier.

Aug. 18 2010 09:17 PM
John from Chelsea

I live in a building that has bedbugs. In nine years I have only gotten bites on one occasion, when I had neglected to take my daily vitamin B 50 complex for about 48 hours. That morning I woke up covered with a hundred or so itchy bites in rows.

My understanding is that bedbugs cannot stand the smell of high levels of certain B vitamins in the blood.

Aug. 18 2010 02:07 PM
Rita

I didn't get a chance to speak on the air but feel you need to communicate the following "to do list":

1. isolate the bed - if they can't get to you to feed they will leave.
2. grease bed legs with Vaseline and place in plastic cups lined with talc powder or diatomaceous earth powder. Bugs will get trapped.
3. encase mattress/box spring/pillows in bed-bug proof covers.
4. wash/dry all clothing, pillows, plush toys, etc. on high heat. Some clothing cannot be washed so placing in dryer on high temperature will suffice.
5. Call in a professional
However, even a professional may not be able to solve the problem unless you prevent the bugs from getting to you while you sleep. It is vital to follow steps 1 to 3 above.

Aug. 18 2010 12:08 PM
nina from east village

rats on the north side of east fifth street, just east of second avenue near the restaurants--we usually walk in the street to avoid them at night: just in that little patch they're so aggressive (or hungry) that they're likely to scuttle very near your feet.
saw a big white rat yesterday, running through the grass in the east river park, near the track at sixth street. he looked very clean and bright, with just one little black patch, and he looked very well fed. fat even.an escaped pet? headed for the track?

Aug. 18 2010 11:59 AM
S Block from NYC

popularity of Republicans continues to spiral down! not even the bedbugs like them!

12% of Democrats has had them, but only 2% of Republicans!

Aug. 18 2010 11:59 AM

I stepped on a live rat a couple of years ago on my way home from work...didn't even notice that's what it was at first until I hear a woman shrieking behind me.

Aug. 18 2010 11:58 AM
Luke D from NY

Has any one had experience with Diatomaceous earth for BB control? I had a infestation of BB.
I have had an exteminator and also used Diatomaceous earth. I think I is working. But who knows with these BBs?
It is non toxic.

Aug. 18 2010 11:58 AM
James from East Village

The East Village seems to be full of them - I've been lucky, but friends of mine in separate buildings on East 3rd Street have been living with them for a while. Last year there were several mattresses out on the street, and the more conscientious folks wrapped them, but because so many young people new to NYC bring furniture in from the street, they perpetuate the problem! I know one couple that lived with everything in plastic for six months and boiled all their clothing. Once the bedbugs came back, they gave up and moved away. Hopefully they escaped the bugs... but probably not.

I keep my mattress in a zippered vinyl case, and am careful to check my luggage when I travel. But they're so small, you really never know. :(

Aug. 18 2010 11:58 AM
michael from brooklyn

I got bedbugs a number of years ago from a used bookcase i bought from a columbia student on the upper west side. It ruined my life for several months to try to get rid of them. those vaccum seal bags seemed to work well and also placing items one by one in the freezer.

Last week, we went to the AMC on 42nd street and my friend was covered in bites. we joked that it looked like the bedbugs we had. yesterday we got a call that his bed was invested with bedbugs at home. now i'm paranoid that i'm gonna get them again.

Aug. 18 2010 11:58 AM

NYC Looks to Stop Spreading Bedbug Infestations
One of every 15 New Yorkers battled bedbugs last year, officials said Wednesday as they announced a plan to fight the spreading infestation, including a public-awareness campaign and a top entomologist to head the effor

Aug. 18 2010 11:58 AM

Brian, What is this myth that bedbugs only hangout in beds/bedclothes???

They are in present in porous wooden floors, etc., they travel through the walls, wall openings, etc.

The problem has been underreported & has not been reacted to as a public health matter.

Aug. 18 2010 11:57 AM
Alyson

While I was walking down the street in Cobble Hill, a rat collided with my foot on the way to the garbage. I ran screaming down the street. I was wearing flip flops.

Aug. 18 2010 11:56 AM
LeeNYC from Manhattan

Rats are now so common in Central Park, they can be seen scurrying around the Pool and Reservoir during the day(!)

A friend mistook one for a gray squirrel at first :)

Aug. 18 2010 11:55 AM
Robert from NYC

I think it's time the city do a citywide extermination of the bedbugs and the rats.

Aug. 18 2010 11:55 AM
Jeannie from Bed Bug Sty

I saw a 10 foot bedbug beating the crap out of a rat with a bat while shouting racial epithets on Twitter in Bed Bug Sty

Aug. 18 2010 11:47 AM