Talking Politics: Campaign News

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Azi Paybarah, WNYC reporter, talks about the latest campaign fund-raising and endorsements.

Read Azi's blog "The Empire".

Azi Paybarah

jay from Harlem

Brian, enough is enough--either it is a "mosque" or its a cultural center like the 92nd st Y or the Jewish cultural center on Amsterdam Avenue. In this last segment I stopped counting the number of times you said "mosque". If you don't know which is the appropriate appellation then stay out of it but continuing to push the "mosque" label, consciously or unconsciously is only contributing to the inflammatory nature of the discourse.

Aug. 17 2010 11:35 AM
gabby from Manhattan

"Where the “Ground Zero mosque” is concerned, opposition is roughly proportional to distance, even in New York."

Aug. 17 2010 11:34 AM
ali$0n from ny

the only reason the republicans are playing up the mosque story on a national level is to distract from being the party of "NO" on the jobs and economic issues in congress.

Aug. 17 2010 11:31 AM
Patricia from New York

Brian, I listen to your show on a daily basis but I sometimes get tired of your comments regarding Obama.

Aug. 17 2010 11:30 AM
ismael from Dumbo

In New York city, it seems to me, one is pushed toward the Independent moniker, because the Demo party is an exclusive minion. I am a life long NYCer, down-towner, Queens guy, that sees no problem with a Mosque around Ground Zero, but seeming lack of PR chops from the folks proposing the Mosque folks. I cannot be tell how upset I am by this Mayor's a C. Quinn's appropriation of the terms limit issue.

Aug. 17 2010 11:25 AM
Diana

Speaking of independents, can you really be an independent in this country, with the political system designed as it is? With the antiquated electoral system plus no real options of third -or many parties- (the tea party is an extreme of the republican party) plus no second round, independents end up appearing like they don´t know what to do, benefiting with their votes the non-incumbent party.

Aug. 17 2010 11:24 AM
S Block from NYC

Jeez Brian, you didn't "know where that stockbroker was coming from" because he just said it plainly, and you filtered it ideologically. He simply said that Bloomberg treats constituents like customers, and as a good merchant, he responds and gives them what they ask for.

That's not the same as the paternalist "always in your interest" mommy state (not mixing metaphors, combining them) that you favor, but it's not incomprehensible.

I'd explain to you that bit about "ideologues can't understand pragma..." but you've moved on, you're back manning the barricades of the class struggle and culture war.

Aug. 17 2010 11:23 AM
Jesse

I am a perfect example of a "Republicratic"
I'm Male
I'm from the South
And I'm Gay

It is hard to get MY voice heard when the far left is screaming in one ear and the far right is screaming in the other.

Aug. 17 2010 11:15 AM

Bloomberg supports Peter King? Why would anyone support King? He is without a doubt one of the most racist members of Congress. He doesn't just rail against the Islamic cultural center, he has expressly said that there are "too many mosques" in the United States.

There is just no way to parse that except as an arrogant assertion of racism.

Aug. 17 2010 11:13 AM