Ayelet Waldman’s Red Hook Road

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ayelet Waldman talks about her latest novel, Red Hook Road. Set on the coast of Maine over four summers, it tells the story of two families whose lives are unraveled and stitched together by misfortune, good intentions, failure, and by love and calamity.

Ayelet Waldman

Mary from Pennsylvania

Colossal bad taste. Ayelet demonstrates an amazing insensitivity to common decency and the feelings of others . Her comment on "dibs" was deplorable.Her next book should be titled "Bad Author: How to Make Money Off of Other's Misfortunes and Laugh All the Way to the Bank".

Aug. 17 2010 08:32 PM
Judah from Westchester

Five years ago, one of my best friends was involved in a wedding car crash on Long Island in which the head of his niece's daughter was severed. Was big news. Imagine my disgust at Waldman's"dibs!" and the subsequent laughing. How innured to peole's suffering can you get. I expect more from what is usually a fine broadcast.

Aug. 17 2010 06:14 PM
Danielle Jensen from uws

I totally agree with susy and kiki comments from above. Plus she referred to feeling obligated to write about the holocaust as "tiresome".What a colossal self-centered jerk she is.I should never have given her the benefit of the doubt when she made the public comment about loving her husband more than her kids.I think I'll pass on her books.

Aug. 17 2010 01:41 PM
Kiki

I have to say, the more I hear Ayelet Waldman speak, the less respect I have for her and Chabon. Even if you and your hubby DID yell "Dibs!" at hearing about a poor couples' demise, wouldn't it be good manners not to tell it as a witty anecdote? Seriously. It does not make you seem like anything but a horrible, horrible person.

Aug. 17 2010 01:22 PM
susy from manhattan

ok, i have a really dark sense of humor.

but using that story about yelling out "dibs!" on this story... not really *that* funny.

Aug. 17 2010 01:10 PM
jserzmanette from ny ny

how uplifting! cmon WNYC let's get some happy stories on here

Aug. 17 2010 01:07 PM