Book Futures: The Rise of the E-Book

Thursday, August 12, 2010

For our weekly series in August, we're taking a look at the future of the publishing industry.  This week: the rise of the e-book. Michael Cader, founder of Publishers Marketplace and Publishers Lunch, joins to discuss.

Are you a hardcover/paperback traditionalist, or an e-book convert?  What's made you stick or switch - or do you read both?

Michael Cader
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn

My novel Different Flags, came out as an e book a few years ago. Then it was print on demand. There were a few copies still around up to a couple of months ago. Now it out of print, The book got excellent reviews and now that I am thinking of finding someone to make it into a movie (The story is about Forbidden Love), I’d like to see it as an e book again. Eugenia Renskoff

Aug. 12 2010 02:01 PM
Beth from Westchester, NY

The more I listen to this debate, the more I wonder... have people totally forgotten the library? My mother took us all the time when I was a kid, & it instilled in me that books are to be shared, and practically never paid for.

If I buy a book, it is because I know I am going to need it as a reference, or a script I am going to destroy. I only ever bought one book, on my Kindle for iPhone app, & I will never do it again.

Aug. 12 2010 01:57 PM
Mary from nyc

@ teal from tarrytown
Actually, electronic is NOT greener. It takes power every time you turn on your Nook, or Kindle. The power and resources used to create a physical book once and read unlimited times, are less than every time you read text on an electronic device.

Aug. 12 2010 11:11 AM
Jac Zagoory from LES, NYC

Fahrenheit 451 is the perfect first download for e-readers.

Aug. 12 2010 10:59 AM
The Truth from Becky

HJS - me too, I dont have to be the first one in line. I will wait until they work out all they work out all the bugs and the newness wears off, then I will get a kindle since I love all things electronic!

Aug. 12 2010 10:58 AM
bram muller from ridgewood, queens

the one thing wrong with e-readers is that they brake. i have thousands of books, most of them over 50 years old. i don't think a e-reader will ever have that kind of life span.

Aug. 12 2010 10:57 AM
Kyle Kibbe

What about libraries?
Why aren't more people using and supporting them.

Aug. 12 2010 10:57 AM
Dave from Brooklyn

I have no less than 7 ereaders on my iphone, and I find that they vary greatly in features and ease of use. Kindle and iBooks are definitely better, but they still lack the ability to scribble in the margins.

Since I'm a cheapskate, I make do with the limited features of the Free Books app which gives me classic books for no charge. I just read "Crime and Punnishment" and "Tom Sawyer," and enjoyed always having a book in my pocket.

Aug. 12 2010 10:57 AM
Henry

Can't download books from the library on Kindle!!

Aug. 12 2010 10:56 AM
teal postula from tarrytown, ny

I marched into Barns and Noble last week clutching my nook to my chest and declared to the info person" Hello my name is Teal and I'm a Nookaholic- can you tell me where the 12 step meeting is?
I love my Nook. I have had it 6 weeks and purched 5 books and subscribed to a periodical. I share books with my daughter who has a nook. They give you sample chapters so you can get a feel for the book.
I love my hard books but in truth. THIS is GREENER. I am happy about the trees I save and the small carbon footprint.

Aug. 12 2010 10:56 AM
tash from brooklyn

I've made the switch, and its great, handy for reading books bought fm Amazon and iBook, and also pdfs from the net.

However, I do miss the physical size of a book. Someone asked me how long a book a recently read was, and I had no idea. There is a progress bar, but it doesn't give you the same sense of how far through you are.

Aug. 12 2010 10:56 AM
snoop

I have an kindle, but I am quite reluctant to buy books for it. I don't like the digital rights management and don't trust that books that I need to keep will be available to me once my kindle inevitably dies.

If DRM was not an issue, I would probably switch to e-books entirely.

Aug. 12 2010 10:55 AM
William from Manhattan

Books and magazines are a welcome relief from my online life.

Aug. 12 2010 10:55 AM
Marissa from Manhattan

I love using NY Public Library's e-book service to check out books that I want to skim, rather than read - I can do so without having to stop at the library, by downloading them online; and it's a perfect way to catch up on new skills, business strategies, and literature.

Aug. 12 2010 10:52 AM
Gretchen from Delmar, NY

I read e-books (on my iPhone) because I can read them in bed, and I can have a library in my pocket. I buy physical books when they have have charts or illustrations better viewed at 100%, and when I want to flip back and forth between pages, referring what I've already read, that kind of thing

Aug. 12 2010 10:51 AM
Mike from NYU

The trend worries me for two reasons:
1) the price and availability of non-popular academic books that are not read by the general public. Will these just disappear or go up drastically in price?
2) the permanence of e-books. I don't really care if my fiction books disappear after I read them but I need my academic books for a lifetime, not for 3-5 years or whatever the e-books allow.

Aug. 12 2010 10:50 AM
Sally from UES

I'm totally convinced e-books are the future, but I wonder about the speed of conversion for the vast library of back-logged of books.

I read many books that are out-of-print and rare. E-books just don't have the books I want.

Aug. 12 2010 10:49 AM
SSH from Brooklyn

I read both. However, I find that my impulsive book buying habits are worse with e-books. (Fiction and lighter non-fiction) I think that it’s mostly due to the fact that I can get them so quickly and I don’t have the guilt of having them sit there on my shelf or night stand “looking” at me. However, when reading academic texts, I prefer to have them in hard copy. Additionally, for a lot of books in my field there is no substantial price difference and it just seems worth the extra 5 dollars to have the hard copy.

Aug. 12 2010 10:31 AM

just waiting for the price to come down.

Aug. 12 2010 10:30 AM
John from NYC

After working in front of computer screen all day, the last thing I want to do is read a book on a screen.
When reading nonfiction I also like to refer to the glossary/index at the back of the book. That option seems to be very limited when reading e-books.

Aug. 12 2010 10:16 AM
SB from NYC

Brian just said on air that e-books are outselling paper books on Amazon. In fact, e-books are outselling *hardback* print books. Paperbacks are still the most-bought type of book.

Aug. 12 2010 10:04 AM