Our Favorite "I Quit" Movie Scenes

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 09:37 AM

In light of the Jet Blue attendant's creative walking off the job, we've compiled some of our favorite "I Quit" movie scenes. [[Note: Some (all?) of these contain mature language.]] Be sure to add your scene suggestions in the comments section below, and add tell your own quitting stories at our show page.

More in:

Dee from Denver

It's a tossup between American Beauty and Office Space. I wish I could do that.

Aug. 13 2010 04:15 PM
Sam Goofus from Airmont, NY

All I can say is:
"Take this job and slide it!"

Aug. 13 2010 11:57 AM
Daniel from NYC

What? what about the scene from Angelina Jolie's WANTED where James McAvoy stuns everyone by telling off his fat cow boss and then bashing his co-worker in the face with a keyboard? youtube it! Google: Wesley Feels Different & Youtube

Aug. 12 2010 05:11 PM
Darryl from Nyc

The scene in the burger place on Half Baked. The guy grabs the intercom and says "F you! F you! F you! You're cool! I'm Out"!!!! I love love that part!!!

Aug. 10 2010 06:24 PM
L from Brooklyn

First of all, most of these clips are not clips of someone quitting, but of what they do when they're fired.

Second of all, you have really got the wrong rant from Network. Yes, this is the one everyone remember. But it's not the one where he burns all his bridges because he's being fired. That happens earlier in the movie, when he says that he has been fired and he has nothing left to live for so he's going to shoot himself tomorrow night on network television.

This scene happens much later, after he really has had his first real delusion and goes and wanders the streets all night, before winding up at the station in an almost hypnotic state.

The first scene is much more what a real person might do who was pushed to the brink. This scene is mere psychosis! It's not really what you're talking about on this page.

I must say, I love this movie, but thought it was completely unrealistic when I saw it in 1976. Today, I think it foreshadowed much of what has happened to the news business!

Aug. 10 2010 12:38 PM
Steve from Morristown

Will go down as a real world classic example....

Aug. 10 2010 12:03 PM
valerie seckler

Favorite story about someone else quitting:

When working as managing editor of a weekly business newspaper in NYC, someone we hired came in and quit on his first day.

The reason: He was hired by Omni magazine the previous weekend, which he described as his "dream job."

Aug. 10 2010 11:58 AM
Adam from Manhattan, Tribeca

Real short, real funny.
I had an intern start for me at an Architectural practice that i run.
He sat at a computer for about 1/2 an hour. He asked to borrow the hallway bathroom keys.
He never came back!
He sent the keys back in an envelope 2 weeks later with a short 'im sorry, it wasnt going to work out'
Ive had people leave me, of course, but that set the new land speed record!!
[and he seemed like such a nice boy!]

Aug. 10 2010 11:58 AM
Mike from NYC

I have a good story, but of course I'm not going to post it. I'm on the job market!

Aug. 10 2010 11:51 AM
Susan from Chatham, NJ

Well, I didn't actually quit, but came very close. It was the late 90's, my last two weeks before being laid off from an exec. asst. job I completely hated anyway. I was training my replacement, a woman from the accounting dept. who had no experience typing anything but numbers. My nightmare boss, the office manager, was a rage-aholic and computer-illiterate, could barely type a letter and hated that I could do more than she could. While I was explaining how to create headers and footers, and why you would want to do so, Nightmare Boss lashed out at me: "Stop teaching here that! She doesn't have to know that!" Here I was being a team player even after I had been given notice, trying to make sure the office had at least someone who had some idea of what she was doing. After two years of putting up with this crazy woman I had to walk over to friends in the back office to calm down rather than quit, which would result in my losing unemployment benefits.

Aug. 10 2010 11:16 AM
Aaron from Brooklyn

Stripes. John Winger picks up the rich woman in his cab and goes crazy before throwing his keys off the bridge.

Caddy Shack. Danny Noonan decides to play against Judge Smails and gives up his caddying job and college scholarship.

Aug. 10 2010 11:06 AM
Nobles from NYC

"The Wonders" had a great scene as well, when the lead singer quit by singing "I quit" and walking out the door in a very passive aggressive manner. Makes me laugh every time.

Aug. 10 2010 10:56 AM
Cliff from Laredo TX

My very first job as a teen was as a clerk in a grocery store. I was scheduled to work from 3 to 6 PM one Friday before the holidays. This was great because I had a solo in a concert that night beginning at 8. When I got to work the mqnanger came up and told me that another guy had not shown up and that I would have to work until 9. I tried to explain why I couldn't do that but he wouldn't listen. He said "if you won't work that added shift, turn in your apron!" whereupon I took it off handed it to him and walked out. In the 50 years since i don't think I've ever felt so empowered.

Aug. 10 2010 10:29 AM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth NJ

...aaamnn, the Tom Cruise one doesn't even belong in here zzZzZzZzZzzZ.

American Beauty takes the cake. Hands down.
Even though i loooovveedd Office Space.

Aug. 10 2010 10:17 AM
Jessica from Highlands, NJ

My favorite quitting scene from a movie comes from Fight Club. Edward Norton's character beats himself senseless in his boss' office, just after proposing a bribe for his boss to continue paying his salary so that he may 'work from home'. As his boss calls security, Norton destroys the office, mangles his own face and results triumphant as the security bursts in the door just as Norton begs on his knees that his boss not hit him again. Corporate sponsorship as he calls it.

Aug. 10 2010 10:07 AM