Please Explain: Heat Stroke

Friday, August 06, 2010

This summer’s high temperatures have brought headaches and heat advisories. On today’s Please Explain, we’re taking a look at some of the health risks that extreme heat brings—from dehydration to heat stroke. Dr. Susi Vassallo, Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center, explains how heat affects the body.

Dr. Susi Vassallo  Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center

Dr. Susi Vassallo

cynthia from NYU area

Please reannounce the phone number. My kid just came come from the 12 day heat wave Boy Scout Jamboree trip and is really sick with fever and lethargy. Did I make the wrong call--a virus???

Aug. 07 2010 01:51 AM
Jared from My friends couch, NYC

I'd like to thank the good doctor again for taking my stitches out after she was on the show!

Aug. 06 2010 07:32 PM
Constance Ftera from North Bergen, NJ

I wasn't concentrating, when I heard mention of heart drugs that could cause heat stroke. I was too late to hear which drugs. I'm very susceptible to heat stroke and am taking lisinopril for high blood pressure. Was this one mentioned?

Aug. 06 2010 02:20 PM
Nadejda from Manhattan

The doctor just answered a question regarding not sweating on the upper lip and I believe mentioned that botox is a sweat inhibitor. Is that to say that more extensive botox injections can contribute to heat stress?

Aug. 06 2010 01:58 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Paris from New York -- You must have misheard Dr. Vassallo's comments. She didn't say drinking more water during the summer was unimportant.

And to the caller who made the fizzy-ology pun -- Very funny!

Aug. 06 2010 01:57 PM
Diana

Can you compensate too much salt with more potassium, like by drinking coconut water?

Aug. 06 2010 01:56 PM
Sabrina from Manhattan

What clothing fabric is best to wear in summer, especially when exercising or during hard labor work?

Aug. 06 2010 01:55 PM
Chris

I am always overheated. I have a very hard time in the hot weather and often work outside. I see friends and work colleagues walking around in fleeces while I'm sweating and extremely overheated. Do you have any explanation or anything that might help?

Thank you.

Aug. 06 2010 01:55 PM
David from New York

What's the doc's opinion on coconut water drinks?

They claim to hydrate better and to have more electrolytes than sports drinks.

Aug. 06 2010 01:51 PM
INACIO PINTO from BROOKLYN ; NY

I STILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE SUMMER MUCH BETTER( since I am from Brazil ) MUCH HOTTER THAN HERE..... BUT NOW AFTER 30 YEARS HERE ; I SOFFER DURING SUMMER ....
THANKS.....

Aug. 06 2010 01:50 PM
Paris from New York

I'm confused: are you saying we should NOR be making a point of drinking water. I have recently been forcing myself to drink 6-8 glasses. Are you saying it's BAD for me.

Aug. 06 2010 01:47 PM
Alex from WI

Many cities add Fluoride and Chlorine to the tap water. Can this affect the bodies ability to hydrate from drinking this municipal water as compared to drinking a spring water or filtered water?

Aug. 06 2010 01:47 PM
Massimo from Brooklyn

I'm always hot and tend to sweat a lot all the time, is that a good thing?
Thanks.

Aug. 06 2010 01:46 PM
Laura MacNaughton from NYC

I was recently treated in Nashville for heat exhaustion, after having been outside in approx 95 degree temps with high humidity for 5- 6 hours without a break. When I stepped into the hot sunshine from the shade, my heart started beating really fast and hard and I sort of collapsed to the ground in a sitting position. A friend there said I was speaking but not making sense.

When the EMS came, he said my BP was 95 or 100 over 45, which was shocking to me, as my BP is usually on the higher side. Why does the heat exhaustion cause such a drop in blood pressure?

I am a 60 year old fit woman of about 105 pounds, and I do take 2 old medications for epilepsy.

Aug. 06 2010 01:44 PM
Sabrina French from manhattan

I often have a draining feeling in my legs and calfs and have theorized that it is a symptom of not drinking enough water. It's aches, not pain, not numbing.

Aug. 06 2010 01:43 PM
CHAZ

While deployed in Djibouti a member of my platoon dropped from heatstroke while on a run and was revived by the French Foreign Legion members who happened to be driving by in a medical vehicle.

Aug. 06 2010 01:42 PM
Tyler from NY

Last year I ran the NY Half Marathon on a very, very hot August day. The organizers gave out salt packets the morning of. Can you explain why?

Aug. 06 2010 01:41 PM
Alex from WI

What about Diet Soda? Diet Caffeinated Soda?

Aug. 06 2010 01:40 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

I lived in Tucson for 15 years as a youth and still don't understand how this pink Dutch-Irish kid survived under that withering sun.

Interesting guest and interview. Thanks.

Aug. 06 2010 01:30 PM