The New Nutritionist: Your Grocer

Friday, August 06, 2010

The Wall Street Journal's Timothy Martin discusses a new nutritional-scoring system being tested at grocery stores and looks at why retailers are getting into the business of offering nutritional advice. His article “The New Nutritionist: Your Grocer” looks at what grocery stores are doing nationwide—some are hiring dietitians to offer advice to shoppers, and Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the country's biggest food retailer, plans to announce launch a "nutrition program."

Timothy Martin

Katie from Nyack NY (and all over)

Personally, I would love a 1-100 rating system to help me make quick "lesser-than-two-evil" selections. My unconventional job keeps me on the road constantly, and I find myself resorting to gas station convenience stores for sustenance all too often. It's hard to use "common sense" when pickings are slim and you're in too much of a hurry to read nutritional labels. One day I'll get my act together and pre-package healthy snacks for myself...

Aug. 08 2010 10:38 AM
emmanuel from westchester

I've heard pickle juice is a cure for cramps that many athletes swear by.. is there any scientific evidence that supports this?

Aug. 06 2010 01:50 PM
anonyme

even the info informing the stars is suspect!

Aug. 06 2010 12:28 PM
anonyme

Some rats were fed packaged cold cereals and another group ate the boxes they came in - the rats eating the cereals died faster than the ones eating the boxes! (this story is told in Eat Fat Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon

Aug. 06 2010 12:26 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Oh please! How 'bout just eating less packaged foods??? This is not rocket science, eat less processed crap! Learn to cook real food it's not that hard!

Aug. 06 2010 12:20 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Oh please! How 'bout just eating a whole lot less packaged foods??? This is not rocket science, eat less crap!

Aug. 06 2010 12:19 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

I went to the Whole Foods in Union square the other day and they already have something like this in place.

Aug. 06 2010 12:16 PM
anonyme

there are no healthy cereal bars! BS is part of the business of unloading industrial "food"!
The bottom line is people need to get a clue as to what food is, how it grow, where it comes from, and make their choices from there. Supermarkets aren't really about food!

Aug. 06 2010 12:13 PM