Ron Galella and Leon Gast on “Smash His Camera”

Friday, July 30, 2010

Legendary paparazzo Ron Galella and Oscar-winning director Leon Gast discuss the documentary “Smash His Camera,” which chronicles Galella’s career as a notorious guerrilla photographer. They’ll talk about Galella’s dogged pursuit of, and infamous battle with, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, among other celebrities. The film examines the nature of fame, the relationship between celebrities and their chroniclers, and the balance between privacy and freedom of the press. "Smash His Camera" is playing at Cinema Village.

Ron Galella and Leon Gast
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

A listener

yeah, i'm sure she has NO idea that there are cameras around her.

keep that thing covered up. maybe try on a pair of pants or a dress cut below the hip bone.

Jul. 30 2010 01:12 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC

You know...I've never really quite understood this whole thing about the celeb (I forget which one it was..paris, Britney...i dunno) not wearing underwear. Why are people outraged by this exactly?

I mean, it's HER business whether or not she wears underwear or not...she probably didn't expect someone to shove a lens looking up her skirt when she left home.

Geeeeeez

Jul. 30 2010 01:02 PM
Ash in Chelsea

Ugh! All I could think of as I listened to this interview was "sleazebag"!!!!

Jul. 30 2010 01:01 PM
A listener

What does Mr. Galella think of people who are famous simply for being famous? Paris Hilton comes to mind. Can Mr. Galella imagine the stars of his heyday being as indiscrete, such as leaving home sans underwear?

Jul. 30 2010 12:56 PM
The Truth from Becky

A stalker for sure, how ironic he is protected by the law. Celebs should file restraining order on these dudes.

Jul. 30 2010 12:50 PM
Tom from Manhattan

How dare you have him on as if he is to be admired in some way. He is a stalker and made people's lives (especially Jackie's) miserable! He is disgusting.

Jul. 30 2010 12:45 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC

I could swear Leonard took a swipe at this film the other day, saying he couldn't finish it because he was disgusted by it? Maybe I'm imagining this...but I could swear I heard that...

Jul. 30 2010 12:45 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

"notorious guerrilla"

"dogged pursuit"

Such polite ways to say "Peeping Tom." I guess getting paid for it somehow makes it legit.

Jul. 30 2010 11:53 AM