Volunteer Match: Skilled Volunteering

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Throughout July we've been highlighting volunteer opportunities in our listening area. For our last week, Greg Baldwin, president of VolunteerMatch, talks about pro-bono and skilled volunteering.

Greg Baldwin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

John Davis

so are these programs "<a href="http://www.costaricaoutwardbound.org/courses/">outward bound programs</a>"? or are they just close by and at home? I think that when programs activities (camps and such) are spread throughout the world at various places, the type of people you meet and, therefore can help, increases dramatically. I hope I have a good reason to think this, cuz I know I don't know everything. Anyone with similar thoughts?

Jun. 12 2012 03:40 PM
Dr Susan Cohen from Long Island NY

The Soldiers Project needs administrative and fund raising help

Jul. 29 2010 03:04 PM
Rina from NYC

In the 25 years we've been doing business as a graphic design/photography partnership, there's always been a few pro bono or reduced fee projects in house. These are mostly connected with arts and performance organizations.

Jul. 29 2010 11:12 AM
Ann from NYC

I am a volunteer teacher of English as a Second Language at the Fortune Society (2 mornings a week), at the International Rescue Committee (one morning) and assist in an ESL classroom at Manhattan Comprehensive Day and Night High School one day a week. Probably average about 8 hours a week.
After volunteering through Learning Leaders in NYC public schools for many years, I was inspired to go back to school myself so I could be a better teacher. I got a Certificate to Teach English from the New School. My choice to focus on ESL has opened a world for me. I have found an incredibly diverse group of learners and I love working with them so much! It's always challenging and extremely satisfying.

Jul. 29 2010 11:03 AM
Nick Bacon from Manhattan

My volunteering is as an Auxiliary Police Officer.

It involved attending training one evening a week for 16 weeks to prepare me for the tasks required.

I volunteered for this as I feel safer walking the streets in Manhattan than I did in parts of my native UK and I wanted to my bit to keep it that way. Further, having been in the WTC on 9/11, my anti-terrorist experience gained in Northern Ireland might be of use to the city which is now my home.

Jul. 29 2010 10:58 AM
jennifer

i'm a graduate student in international affairs at columbia with ~10 years experience in management consulting and organizational development. although i initially protested the unpaid summer internship, i found what i sensed (and what has turned out to be) a wonderful career opportunity with the Outward Bound Center for Peacebuilding (www.outwardboundpeace.org). i work alongside a talented and inspiring team. i can contribute my skills and learn new skills and knowledge about my new, desired career field as well.

Jul. 29 2010 10:58 AM
troy from Carroll Gardens

My partner and I run a graphic design company in Brooklyn—raven and crow studio (shout out!)—and, rather box ourselves in by only offering pro bono work to non-profits, we work for causes we really believe in—animal rights, vegan-related causes, social welfare orgs—at a discounted rate.

Jul. 29 2010 10:54 AM
Rob from NYC

I do volunteer work 2 days per month for one year at the NYC aquarium scuba diving in the tanks for cleaning.

Jul. 29 2010 10:53 AM
jade

I'm an unemployed attny, and I cannot get a "job" doing pro bono work because NPOs are overrun by deferred associates of large firms, because those NPOs want $$$ and connections to those firms.

Jul. 29 2010 10:51 AM